PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2007, 03:05 PM
Lurker

DaKidd36 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
POP vs Push for gmail

Hi to everyone,

Ive been longing for a smart phone for a while now, and I have just recently received my Treo700wx and cant wait to get all the goodies installed.

Also I have been looking for days for a great forum for my pursuit of knowledge and I think Ive found it. This site is great!

So here is my first post:

I am trying to set up my phone to receive my gmail, and work email, and it looks like I have two options from what Ive been reading, POP or Push email.

Now with my work mail, I am just going to let the IT guy figure it out (even though its been 2 weeks already).

With my Gmail, I only use it for personal use and probably only have a couple of emails a day at best and are not urgent emails.
Is it best to set up for POP or Push email? Any ideas our there.

Thank you in advance
Old 03-09-2007, 07:56 PM
The Enforcer
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G, ViewSonic gTablet, BB Bold 9650
Carrier: Sprint

Pibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIP
First things first... Welcome to the site!

Now, moving on... if your IT sets up your work e-mail through push (exchange server) then your push service is tied up already. You can only sync to 1 exchange server through Activesync.

GMail works through POP, however, it is difficult to set up. It works for some users, for others it doesn't and for others it displays an error but they still get an error message.

If you still want to pursue GMail through push, you'd need to get a push e-mail account, as mail2web for example, and then have GMail forwarded to it. If you don't need your reply e-mail to look like they are coming from the GMail account, then a free mail2web account will suffice. If you want your e-mails to look like they are coming from your GMail account, then get the $1.99/month mail2web plan and set up your GMail account as a proxy whatever it's called.

Other options...

Use GMail's mobile site, since you say it's not urgent this may be an option for you. It is personally what I do after having tried to set GMail as POP a couple of times.

And there's also a Java GMail application, but you'll need a Java machine to use it. You can get the Java machine from the Google maps thread linked from the FAQs sticky.

---
Don't forget to Search first!
Old 03-10-2007, 01:44 PM
Lurker

slug is a n00b
I just use the PO3 feature and have it check every 60 min. See the post below:
http://www.ppcgeeks.com/pop3-e-mail-...ail-t2924.html

I got a lot of good info re: gmail.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:58 AM
Lurker
Threadstarter

DaKidd36 is a n00b
Slug, Pibe,

Thanks for the help, I just decided to do POP3 update every 60 minutes.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX