PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Palm Treo 700W/WX (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Palm® GPS Navigator (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=2961)

plaino 03-01-2007 02:25 PM

Palm® GPS Navigator

I am looking to get gps for my treo 700wx. I saw palm has thier own gps through tomtom. everything looks nice but there is some weirdness. They have two editions, edition 2 and 3. I look at the description and they are almost identical except for a slightly updated software package and the cradle being slightly more form-factored for the treo in the edition 3. the price is only a $21 difference.

am i missing something? is there anymore of a difference between the two. i dont see a reason for releasing a edition 3 if they are so similar.

anyone have any input on these if you own/have used them before or thought about it? any ideas on if there is something better?

Pibe38 03-02-2007 03:12 AM

I'm not really sure, altough besides the form factor changes the newer version is compatible with the 750 and the version 2 is not. Maybe that's the big change...

plaino 03-02-2007 01:24 PM

thank you for your input pibe. what is everyone else using for GPS?

Pibe38 03-02-2007 02:30 PM

I don't think we have many GPS users here. There's only one or two threads around about it.

bmatic586 04-10-2007 11:16 AM

i saw a receiver that you can get for about 150 and you can probably use google maps plugs in to the sd card slot

kaiguy 04-11-2007 02:51 AM

I use and recommend TomTom Navigator 6. Works VERY well with the square screen of the wx. In fact, I find that I use my phone more frequently for GPS than my car-portable RoadMate GPS unit. I tried iGuidance previously... it was good, but TomTom seems more polished and has better one-handed use.

As for the hardware, I have two BT GPS adapters: Holux GPSlim 240 (amazingly small; marketed as the smallest BT adapter on the market) and the iBlue 737 (amazingly good battery life and sensitivity; by no means large). Don't ask why I have 2, but I do. I typically leave the 737 in my car, and take the Holux with me when I fly. Oh, FYI: I paid about $60 each for these adapters, including shipping. Much more than that and I'd say you're overpaying.

For either the software or the hardware, I'd recommend purchasing on ebay from "buygpsnow_at_cost" (or buygpsnow.com on the web). I think I fared very well on the auctions, paying much less than the website prices.

wowthatisrandom 04-11-2007 01:41 PM

javascript:sqr_show_hide();

id go with what kai said... i have heard alot of people have had problems with the palm one. as weird as that sounds bc one would think that if they make it for their own devices it would work the best.. WRONG

havieri23 04-18-2007 08:42 PM

i had both igo and tomtom on my 700wx. tomtom is the way to go. easy one handed use. 700wx friendly.

bmatic586 04-18-2007 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaiguy
I use and recommend TomTom Navigator 6. Works VERY well with the square screen of the wx. In fact, I find that I use my phone more frequently for GPS than my car-portable RoadMate GPS unit. I tried iGuidance previously... it was good, but TomTom seems more polished and has better one-handed use.

As for the hardware, I have two BT GPS adapters: Holux GPSlim 240 (amazingly small; marketed as the smallest BT adapter on the market) and the iBlue 737 (amazingly good battery life and sensitivity; by no means large). Don't ask why I have 2, but I do. I typically leave the 737 in my car, and take the Holux with me when I fly. Oh, FYI: I paid about $60 each for these adapters, including shipping. Much more than that and I'd say you're overpaying.

For either the software or the hardware, I'd recommend purchasing on ebay from "buygpsnow_at_cost" (or buygpsnow.com on the web). I think I fared very well on the auctions, paying much less than the website prices.

holux is a great brand, i have one for my laptop and i'm using it with streets and trips 07, and as soon as i turn it on, it takes about 1-2 seconds to get my location, amazing device and brand.

kaiguy 04-19-2007 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bmatic586
holux is a great brand, i have one for my laptop and i'm using it with streets and trips 07, and as soon as i turn it on, it takes about 1-2 seconds to get my location, amazing device and brand.

Wow, 1-2 seconds? I don't get anywhere near that on my Holux. Last time I turned it on it literally took 5 minutes to get a signal with a clear view of the sky. Granted when I turned it off previously I was in California, and when I turned it back on I was in Pittsburgh, but that's still a long time. My iBlue is MUCH faster in acquiring a signal...