PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2007, 09:36 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

bmatic586 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmatic586
holux is a great brand, i have one for my laptop and i'm using it with streets and trips 07, and as soon as i turn it on, it takes about 1-2 seconds to get my location, amazing device and brand.
Wow, 1-2 seconds? I don't get anywhere near that on my Holux. Last time I turned it on it literally took 5 minutes to get a signal with a clear view of the sky. Granted when I turned it off previously I was in California, and when I turned it back on I was in Pittsburgh, but that's still a long time. My iBlue is MUCH faster in acquiring a signal...
i'm talkign about one that i had for my laptop, and yes, it was that fast
Old 04-21-2007, 11:46 AM
Lurker

gizmopilot is a n00b
I recently got a i737 blue bluetooth GPS receiver from http://www.semsons.com

I have been using GPS systems for nearly 10 years and this is by far the best unit I've had.

It is extremely sensitive and locks very quickly.

I've currently been using it with my Treo 700wx (Sprint) with Telenav, Google Mobile maps, and Microsoft Live Search.

I also have used it with my IPAQ Hx4700 with GMM, MSLS, Co-pilot live, and Anywhere MAP.

This provides great flexibility by being able to use it with multiple systems.

I currently have the bluetooth patch from the verizon 700wx loaded(hannip). This bluetooth stack is FAR FAR more stable than the native bluetooth.

I've used this stack this with:
stereo-A2dp (multiple headsets) works great!!

DUN(will lock up the treo under load ie a bandwidth test - but only locks up occasionaly with sling box)

Hands Free (HF) - Plantronics Voyager 510 (best) and motorola hs-850
Serial(GPS )-i737
Old 04-23-2007, 01:40 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Moto Droid
Carrier: Verizon

JonV is keeping up the good workJonV is keeping up the good workJonV is keeping up the good work
Gizmopilot, can you give me your thoughts on Telenav? I've been using Delorme Street Atlas for years but am looking for an alternative especially one that is "live". I thought Sprint could set me up with Telenav for an extra $5/month but after hours on the phone with customer service and tech support they finally admitted that they really don't have a solution for the Treo 700wx and I should deal with telenav directly. Is the $9.99/month well worth it? If it really routes well, detects traffic and accident, etc. I might be tempted. Looking for a quick review. Thanks
Old 04-23-2007, 02:55 PM
Lurker

gizmopilot is a n00b
Telenav on the Treo 700wx is OK. It doesn't support live traffic and my contacts say that it probably never will. Telenav is more focused on actual phones/Blackberry's.

I would guess because they are pretty much the only player on those devices.

Telenav does have some nice features:
Auto updates for routing/maps/points of interest,
( The server is always accessed through the internet for the current information)
Ability to manage destinations via a web interface
Ability to add a destination via a toll free number with an "intelligent" interactive voice system.
Turn by turn navigation with real voice prompts (not computer generated)
Small memory footprint (600k)
Incremental pay as you go cost

Down sides:
Only works while you have a wireless data connection
(if you make a wrong turn without a data connection, routing stops)
Recurring monthly cost ($9.95)
Not likely to have any enhancements
Would generate roaming fees if in canada / mexico.
Can't make phone calls while it is working (no data and voice at the same time)
Doesn't have some of the advanced features of a dedicated system
(always works if the GPS does, 3D views, saved routes, multiple destinations on a trip)

I only use Telenav on the 700wx because I got a free demo. I would only recommend it if you didn't want to dedicate the space/money on a memory card/software purchase, and you needed live dynamic verbal routing.

Google mobile maps & Microsoft Live search both provide free routing with GPS tracking - they just don't auto re-route and don't provide verbal directions

$10 per month (12 months) = $120

Co-pilot live $149 + at least 1gb (all of north america) of free SD card (??$$) .

I own co-pilot live but I use it on a Ipaq Hx4700 and you have to transfer the license to try it on another device, so I haven't been motivated to test it on the 700wx since the 4700 has a big 4" vga screen. I use the Hx4700 dedicated for navigating (on longer trips) while my treo is used also as a phone.

Hope this helps
Old 04-23-2007, 08:49 PM
Regular 'Geeker

JonV is keeping up the good workJonV is keeping up the good workJonV is keeping up the good work
Yes, very helpful. Thanks.

I didn't count on losing voice while using Telenav. That's a killer right there. I also was counting on getting the traffic alerts and rerouting for the money. I aslo did not know it was a "stabilized" product without much future to look towards.

I'll look at some other solutions. I use Google Mobile but it's real basic as far as GPS goes. Unless I'm missing a feature it doesn't even scroll as you go or be able to keep around routes and waypoints. It's nice in a pinch when you need to know "where the heck am I".
Old 04-24-2007, 07:33 AM
Lurker

gizmopilot is a n00b
When using GMM with a GPS

Activate the GPS tracking first
Search for your destination
Choose route to
If applicable choose current GPS location

Starting location is displayed with a yellow prompt on the bottom

"[0] Go to my location"

If you press 0 the display scrolls while you are driving and a blinking blue/white dot represents your GPS position while you move.

As the "dot" hits each waypoint(turn/triangle) you manually can hit the space bar to cause the directions for that way point to display. When you want to track with the GPS again you need to press 0.

If you manually scroll the 0 prompt is redisplayed - just press 0 to recenter the display on your GPS position.

- A tip if you get off course while using the gps:
Select menu
Press I (for directions)
<Press Down> <Press Select-Center button> - Activates a check box for Current GPS location
Press OK (lower left - Smart button)
An updated route from your current position will be generated.
Press 0 to start GPS tracking

A nice feature of GMM is that it can also retrieve an address from your contact list - although sometimes you have to manually edit the address in the GMM locate dialog, since gmm doesn't work well with references like APT 3 or Upper etc.

Good luck.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:15 AM
Lurker

gizmopilot is a n00b
The best Free GPS software I've used on the Treo is Windows Live Search. http://wls.live.com

WLS updates the driving directions during your trip and makes audible alerts (Not Verbal) at each waypoint indictating an update to the next leg of the trip.

In my opinion The WLS GPS system is much safer and easier to use while driving than the current version of GMM.

It doesn't re-route automatically if you deviate from the route, but it isn't difficult to re-generate a new route from your current location.

Telenav, GMM and WLS all need internet access while active and navigating.

GMM seems to be the least tolerant of lost internet access and the application generates an error message and prompts you to close it.
Old 04-24-2007, 09:27 PM
Regular 'Geeker

Bingo! By coincidence I read about Live Search earlier today and I just tried it out a few minutes ago while out for a drive. I was impressed with it as well. Quick searches, nice big GPS cursor arrow (instead of a dot), nice scrolling screen (I hadn't read your tips on GMM yet but wil try). Seems like Live saved locations for future use. I await trying it more but it seemed much more readable and usable than GMM.

A couple times after disconnecting it seem to be unable to reconnect to the GPS but I happened to connect using GMM then Live connected right up so I don't know what's up with that. WIll try it more.

Thanks! Can't beat the price.
Old 04-25-2007, 09:45 AM
Lurker

gizmopilot is a n00b
Happy to help.

GMM does save your searches but it seems to only do this if you use the GMM menu to exit the app.

Do you use a task manager to close GMM such as magic buttons or the task list?

For both WLS and GMM, it would be nice if the developers had some training/greater experience of user interface development. Some typical functions such as route re-calc should not need 5 steps to do. A simple example was the first release of WLS needed multiple key presses just to zoom out (thankfully that was resolved with the current release)
Old 06-25-2007, 02:03 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC HERO/PALM PRE
Carrier: SPRINT

jayroc80 is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to jayroc80 Send a message via MSN to jayroc80 Send a message via Yahoo to jayroc80
Windows Live GPS

I am having an issue with the Windows Live mapping system to work on my Sprint, Treo 700WX.

Under Settings, GPS, Programs, GPS programs port is set to COM1
Under Settings, GPS, Access, Manage GPS automatically is checked.

Under Programs, Live Search, Settings, COM1 is selected.

How I get this error

GPS Error:

Sorry, could not communicate with GPS on port 1.

I've tried changing the communicaton ports but I haven't had any luck getting the GPS system to work. Any advice??

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX