PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2008, 02:28 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: Verizon

ACSteel is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My fix for the errors...

Very frustrating experience but I have established a fairly good routine now and has worked for me last 10 test runs. Bottom line the errors will always come up but I have narrowed down the steps to overcome them.

The first error I usually get is the "hardware failure", consider this simply as step one. When this pops up, open PIE on your phone and let it connect, represented by the arrows flashing until they are solid above the signal meter. Close out the connection window on your laptop and/or the browser completely to give another connection attempt a fresh start. You can close PIE or leave it running on the phone, just make sure the phone connection to internet is still there. This step is simply to get the next error message "remote server not responding".

Open your browser and try to connect again. Hopefully the error "remote server not responding" comes up. Now tap & hold the EV icon to bring up the disconnect window; tap the disconnect. Wait until the regular signal icon come back and then hit retry or redial. Should sign you in and connect now.

You may have to play with this a few times to get your routine down but it has been very dependable for me so far. I think it has nothing to do with the drivers or settings. I'm guessing it has something to do with internet switch to make it reset. Let me know if this helps, good luck.

Last edited by ACSteel; 01-09-2008 at 02:32 PM.
Old 04-06-2008, 01:28 PM
N00b

GaTo is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to GaTo
Re: VISTA: How to use the 700wx as a modem

tried the steps but pc automatically installs its own driver so i can't choose the one you posted how can i fix this?
Old 04-07-2008, 10:44 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Treo 755p
Carrier: Sprint

friendzcustomz is a n00b

Does Sprint charge you more by doing this
Old 04-09-2008, 09:50 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: VZW: Touch Pro2, Titan, Vogue, and Touch Pro
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

mdjkim is just getting started

I use PDA Net by June Fabrics and it works really well. Am able to connect using USB and Bluetooth and get speeds of up to 500k downloading on SpeakEasy speed test.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:53 PM
domo arigato mr roboto
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment
Carrier: Sprint since Feb 11, 2002
Threadstarter

elephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rddt View Post
Fresh install of Vista Home, new Sprint account and brand new Treo 700wx with 1.15 preinstalled, and all I get is a 678 error when attempting to connect.
Here were a couple suggestions for this error, but none have worked:
http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet/faq.php#ts633
http://howardforums.com/showpost.php...9&postcount=40

Any idea what to try next? Maybe downgrading to 1.13? Thanks!
When this happened to my phone, I had to start using the bluetooth connection in order to use it as a modem. That was the only work around that I found to work for me... I don't have the Treo anymore though so I wouldn't be able to provide you with step by step instructions.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:13 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Treo Pro

davidck65 is becoming a great contributor

I had been having problems using PDAnet with my 700wx and both XP and Vista. If it downloaded at speeds greater than 25KB/s my phone would lock up requiring a soft reset. By using the directions in the first post I have now found a solution, however it requires me to throttle my downloads at 20KB/s. If you use Firefox and click on Tools>Add-Ons>Browse all add-ons and then search for Firefox Throttle. You will need to log in to install it. Once installed and Firefox is restarted click on Tools>Add-Ons and then on Options for Firefox Throttle 1.03. I set my Throttle download to 20 KBytes/s and my Throttle upload to 10 KBytes/s, kept the "Allow short rate bursting after periods of inactivity" UNCHECKED and then Save Defaults. I also set the maximum speed in the Treo USB modem options to 115200. I am running Vista64 and had to use one of these USB modem drivers, not sure which. Not the performance I was hoping for but it is better than nothing or constant lockups. Hope this helps someone with similar problems.
Attached Files
File Type: zip TreoUSB.zip (1.8 KB, 8 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: zip treousb_237.zip (1.8 KB, 6 views) Click for barcode!
File Type: zip usbmdmtreo_vista64.zip (2.0 KB, 7 views) Click for barcode!
Old 01-27-2009, 01:16 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Treo Pro

davidck65 is becoming a great contributor

Forgot to mention that my lockups happened whether I used PDAnet, Modem link (as describe in 1st post), or Bluetooth modem to connect. I verified the above to work with the modem link connection on Vista64 and successfully browsed for over 30+ minutes and download 2 files of 5.5 MB and 9.8 MB successfully.

UPDATE:

I recently flashed to NightRavens WM6.1 Sprint 1.3 ROM with great success and am now able to use WM6 Internet Sharing to connect by USB without any lockups or issues. DSLReports speed tests are 863 down and 126 up on the Sprint (Chicago) server. No special setup needed for this internet connection.

Last edited by davidck65; 02-26-2009 at 02:38 AM.
Old 02-11-2009, 01:13 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Treo 700wx
Carrier: sprint

airhawk89 is a n00b

hey i just wanted to say this works!! thanks a ton i was looking for instructions on how to do this for quite some time... thanks again
Old 02-13-2009, 10:07 PM
domo arigato mr roboto
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment
Carrier: Sprint since Feb 11, 2002
Threadstarter

elephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP

just checked this thread for the heck of it and I see most of you have been having problems with the connection, I will tell you that after my Treo was upgraded I had to use bluetooth in order to use it as a modem. I no longer have a Treo so I would be unable to make instructions for you.
wow, I found out that I wrote a how to using bluetooth, no response though... hmm

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=26329

Last edited by elephant007; 02-13-2009 at 10:12 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX