PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Palm Treo 700W/WX (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Daylight Savings - messed up appointments? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=2854)

jcarbary 02-26-2007 12:28 AM

Daylight Savings - messed up appointments?

I don't know how to make my appointments show with the correct time, and I can't seem to adjust my time zone correctly.

Bear with me ... this is sort of the chronology of events....

* I downloaded the microsoft DST .cab. After the whole process was complete, all of my appointments after March 11 showed up one hour later on my Treo. I worried this would mess up my sync at work, which I sync to my GroupWise calendar.

* I noticed that my timezone was Indiana, because I had enabled "detect network time." (I'm in the Detroit area, which isn't the same; I should be Eastern U.S.) I changed it to the right zone, but that didn't resolve the issue with appointments after March 11.

* After freaking out, I loaded a backup file from before I downloaded the cab.

* I then changed my timezone to the Eastern US, and disabled "detect network time." (No DST update .cab installed.) All of my appointments after April 2 are now one hour late. If I sync with my GroupWise this way, it'll be all messed up on GroupWise.

* Confusing, perhaps related: recurring events after March 11 are showing up duplicate on my Treo, but not on my GroupWise calendar.

I guess the questions are:
1) Is there any way to adjust my timezone so that it shows correctly, without adjusting the time for all of my meetings?
2) Is there a way to download the DST .cab without it adjusting the time of my appointments from March 11 on? This is going to mess with my work computer when I sync. (I can just see multiple meetings at multiple times and not know what the heck is going on.)

I'm leaning toward just waiting for March 11 to come and figure it all out then. I'd rather be proactive and try to fix it now, if at all possible.

(By the way, wiping the calendar and starting the calendar from scratch with a sync to work is a possibility, but not desired - - our computers don't like the WM5 and syncing works today. May not tomorrow.)

ANY help is appreciated!
jen

Pibe38 02-26-2007 02:53 AM

Did you change your time zone to a random zone and then changed it back to yours after installing the DST CAB from Microsoft? It is noted that this needs to be done in order for it to work.

Also, you can set Activesync so that if there's a conflict (PC calendar does not match Treo calendar) it either replaces the items on the PC or the ones on the Treo... since your Treo seems to be messed up and your PC is not, you can set it to Replace Items on Device when in Conflict and your calendar should be back to normal.

jeffH70 02-26-2007 11:06 PM

Microsoft did mention that there will be additional software for the WM5 in the week of Feb. 26.

In addition, if you sync with the exchange server, make sure that the server is patched first. :)

Jeff

Pibe38 02-26-2007 11:22 PM

I contacted mail2web and they said their servers are kept up to date. I believe they did since now there are CABs for both WM5 and Smartphone editions on their site.

gizmopilot 02-27-2007 12:10 AM

There are known DST issues with Novell Groupwise and there are patches available that need to be applied to the server.

Also appointments made beyond March 11th will have this issue during the 3 week interval. There is a utility from Novell that can be run on the appointments that will correct the issue.

You probably will need to contact your Groupwise admins to resolve this.

Good luck

jcarbary 02-27-2007 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gizmopilot
There are known DST issues with Novell Groupwise and there are patches available that need to be applied to the server.

Also appointments made beyond March 11th will have this issue during the 3 week interval. There is a utility from Novell that can be run on the appointments that will correct the issue.

You probably will need to contact your Groupwise admins to resolve this.

Good luck

Thank you! Our I.T. department isn't the most progressive in town (despite serving an organization with > 15,000 employees. yeesh.), and they downloaded a patch today. (Still requires manual correction of ALL meetings in that three-week period, ick.)

It's all a moot point, as once again, my GroupWise and Treo aren't syncing.

I'm just going to wait, I guess. See what happens. Pray that March 11 is a slow week and I can deal with it all then. Complain to I.T.

Wah

(P.S. I did the "change the timezones" thing.... that's when I noticed the network was detecting the wrong timezone.)

Thanks everyone!

jcarbary 02-27-2007 10:36 PM

I think I solved my problem (not the syncing with GroupWise nightmare, but the timezone/appt shift problem).

I was unchecking "enable local network time," which shifted all of my appointments on hour. All I needed to do was uncheck "use network time zone" and they're fine.

Hopefully when I sync with GroupWise (big assumption), the appointments will fall correctly.

gizmopilot 02-27-2007 11:16 PM

I work for an IT organization of similiar employee size.

I found out that Novell is still making last minute adjustments to the patches.

So we haven't received the finalized patches as of today.

Try not to make any appointments during that 3 week interval until your servers are patched.

Part of the issue is that the PC's (treo) shouldn't have been DST patched until the Groupwise patches have been applied.

Our organization is trying to coordinate patching nearly 17k PC's at the same time the servers are patched across the united states.

Good luck.

DexterDawg 03-06-2007 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gizmopilot
Try not to make any appointments during that 3 week interval until your servers are patched.

Please don't take offense, but this sounds like such a typical IT response.

gizmopilot 03-06-2007 09:28 PM

No offense, I know how ridiculous that sounded, but that is what we were told at the time.

We finally got a relatively more reasonable response from Novell that included a utility to correct the appointments made from devices that had already been patched.

The utility needs to be run on each post office and corrects the time. The catch is that if new appointments are made from a non patched device then they will be off again. The utility would need to be re-run on all of the post offices again.

In the last 24 hours we have applied the DST patch to over 13,000 pc's with about 4000 to go. Our BlackBerrys are also being patched to prevent propagating this issue (I'm not even sure how many) Simultaneously we have patched over 40 post offices and have been running the utility on each of them non stop to correct the appointments. Each post office takes about 5 hours to process the correction utility.

Talk about jumping through hoops at the last minute!

What is the most bizarre is that all of the vendors have known about this for 2 years and the patches have only started showing up in the past couple of months, some as late as 7pm est this past friday.