PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2007, 04:05 PM
N00b

j joy j is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to j joy j
.zip files/.cab files

I know that .cab files are ones that I can pop onto a mem card and open them on my 700w. How do I go about .zip files. I used to go through activesync but I've been having terrible issues with activesync--won't even connect now. I have programs that I want to put onto my treo but not sure how to do it when they are .zip files. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-22-2007, 08:03 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: DROID
Carrier: EVIL V

EDGE23 is just getting started
Send a message via MSN to EDGE23
use total commander or pocket rar to unzip them. I know total comm. is posted on the software section for sure.
samsung 680, a700, 920, legendary 9k, a900, 6700, treo 700wx, 6800, 6700, 6800(collecting dust), as of 01/09/08 htc touch, and 5/24/08 finally the blackberry curve, 10/15/08 touch pro, 4/30/09 boring blackberry curve again.
12/04/09 DROID.
WM, HTC, and BB can go to hell now.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:04 PM
The Enforcer
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G, ViewSonic gTablet, BB Bold 9650
Carrier: Sprint

Pibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIP
Resco will also unzip files. Now keep in mind ZIP files are a compressed archive, so more than likely there's a CAB file compressed in there anyway.

Just make sure you don't send yourself a huge ZIP file that may have a CAB file, a desktop EXE installer, etc. as many developers include literally everything you need to install an app on a single ZIP file.

I usually unzip the contents on my computer and then e-mail the CAB to my e-mail on my 700wx.

---
Don't forget to Search first!
Old 03-14-2007, 06:40 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Juslisten is a n00b
Think I just learned a couple of new things so thank you but let me make sure that I am getting this right. All files that can be opened on ppc's are .cab files? so I have a question if I unzip a file using winrar on my pc can i then copy the .cab or will the files be labeled something else (that is what it will be labeled as after I unzip it correct) to the folder I want it to go to through activesync right? Can resco/total commander be added to your pc or is winrar enough?
Old 03-14-2007, 06:59 PM
The Enforcer
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G, ViewSonic gTablet, BB Bold 9650
Carrier: Sprint

Pibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIP
A ZIP file is just basically an archive where you can place and compress one or more files. When you un-zip an archive with WinZip or WinRAR they will create a directory with all the files that were compressed.

Let's say there's a CAB and a text readme file in a ZIP file called RESCO.ZIP then the new directory will be called RESCO and will have the files RESCO.CAB and readme.TXT for example.

If you unzip a file on your device and only need the CAB to install the app, then just send the CAB to your device (I usually e-mail myself CABs) and save it whereever you want, then run it from this location and if you want, delete it after it's been installed.

Resco and Total Commander are applications that allow you to manage and un-zip files on the device itself, this is useful in case you want to download and app directly from the device and there's only a ZIP file available.

Also, CABs and ZIPs are CABs and ZIPs in both your PC and PPC.

Hope this clears it... there are links to Resco and TC on the FAQs sticky BTW.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX