PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Palm Treo 700W/WX (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   .zip files/.cab files (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=2745)

j joy j 02-22-2007 04:05 PM

.zip files/.cab files

I know that .cab files are ones that I can pop onto a mem card and open them on my 700w. How do I go about .zip files. I used to go through activesync but I've been having terrible issues with activesync--won't even connect now. I have programs that I want to put onto my treo but not sure how to do it when they are .zip files. Thanks in advance.

EDGE23 02-22-2007 08:03 PM

use total commander or pocket rar to unzip them. I know total comm. is posted on the software section for sure.

Pibe38 02-22-2007 11:04 PM

Resco will also unzip files. Now keep in mind ZIP files are a compressed archive, so more than likely there's a CAB file compressed in there anyway.

Just make sure you don't send yourself a huge ZIP file that may have a CAB file, a desktop EXE installer, etc. as many developers include literally everything you need to install an app on a single ZIP file.

I usually unzip the contents on my computer and then e-mail the CAB to my e-mail on my 700wx.

Juslisten 03-14-2007 06:40 PM

:-k Think :-k I just learned a couple of new things so thank :thumbright: you but let me make sure that I am getting this right. All files that can be opened on ppc's are .cab files? so I have a question if I unzip a file using winrar on my pc can i then copy the .cab or will the files be labeled something else :dontknow: (that is what it will be labeled as after I unzip it correct) to the folder I want it to go to through activesync right? Can resco/total commander be added to your pc or is winrar enough?

Pibe38 03-14-2007 06:59 PM

A ZIP file is just basically an archive where you can place and compress one or more files. When you un-zip an archive with WinZip or WinRAR they will create a directory with all the files that were compressed.

Let's say there's a CAB and a text readme file in a ZIP file called RESCO.ZIP then the new directory will be called RESCO and will have the files RESCO.CAB and readme.TXT for example.

If you unzip a file on your device and only need the CAB to install the app, then just send the CAB to your device (I usually e-mail myself CABs) and save it whereever you want, then run it from this location and if you want, delete it after it's been installed.

Resco and Total Commander are applications that allow you to manage and un-zip files on the device itself, this is useful in case you want to download and app directly from the device and there's only a ZIP file available.

Also, CABs and ZIPs are CABs and ZIPs in both your PC and PPC.

Hope this clears it... there are links to Resco and TC on the FAQs sticky BTW.