PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2008, 05:17 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4G LTE
Carrier: Sprint!

veedubguru knows their stuffveedubguru knows their stuffveedubguru knows their stuffveedubguru knows their stuffveedubguru knows their stuffveedubguru knows their stuffveedubguru knows their stuff
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to veedubguru
Question 700w Pagepool Size???

Ok, I'm going to ask for the help of some of our moderators on this one.

I just got my wife a Treo 700w (I know I should have bought the WX model and avoided this question completely.)

Available program memory on this phone is very low, and I tend to find that I need to kill apps like ALL THE TIME! On my Apache, I know there are ways to set the pagepool so that I can allocate more memory over to running programs as opposed to storage.

Can this be done with an 700W? If needed I'll make a rom dump with the program of your choice, and kick some duckets at you via paypal to cover your time. Any help would be appreciated.

BTW. Already using XCPUScaler to overclock and it's working great, now if I could just have more than one program running at a time without freezing up from lack of program memory!

Thanks!
Old 05-22-2008, 07:40 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: centro
Carrier: vzw

jhonny11 is a n00b
Re: 700w Pagepool Size???

Or just use quickmenu. It's a great cascading menu program and you can set it so that when you hit ok (or the X button) it will close, not just hide, the app.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:07 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 4
Carrier: Verizon

syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

As far as allocating memmory, to the best of my knowledge, there are no apps or tweaks to enable that on the treo. I use Memmaid to keep things cleaned out in the device (runs from SD card well)!!! Magicbutton also offers a real 'close' option as well (and it is FREE)!!!!

Old 05-23-2008, 08:20 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

veedubguru knows their stuffveedubguru knows their stuffveedubguru knows their stuffveedubguru knows their stuffveedubguru knows their stuffveedubguru knows their stuffveedubguru knows their stuff

Thanks guys! I do appreciate the ideas. I'm still hoping someone out there might have an idea as to how to go about this. I'm sure it can be done, (It seems like anything can if you have enough time and money....).

I just noticed that looking at the Memory screen on my Apache with 6.1 that my storage and program memory is about equal, and it runs great. My hope is that someone can find a way to shift some of the 700w memory over to programs from storage so that they are about equal as well. It would make this phone run sooooo much better. I'm thinking "If I need storage space, that's what my SD card is for! I'd rather see all that memory be available to use as RAM."

I'll give the two previously mentioned fixes a go, but would love to be able to run several programs at the same time without my Treo throwing up on me.

Thanks for helping a Treo noob...
Old 05-23-2008, 08:40 AM
Let me count thy wounds
Pocket PC: Photon 4G
Carrier: Sprint

blasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to blasphemous_prime Send a message via Yahoo to blasphemous_prime Send a message via Skype™ to blasphemous_prime

you can also try SKTools to free up RAM as well...
If you are literally serving shit to American children, or knowingly spinning a wheel where it is not unlikely that you will eventually serve shit – if that’s your business model? Then I got no problems with a jury of your peers wiring your nuts to a car battery and feeding you the accumulated sweepings from the bottom of a monkey cage. In fact, I’ll hold the spoon.” -Ralph Dunlop-
Old 05-23-2008, 08:52 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Thanks Prime. I'll appreciate any other ideas you might have to keep this thing running smooth.

How many programs (on average) have people been able to have running at the same time? I know mine starts to hang with Pocket IE, Messaging, and say one game....
Old 05-23-2008, 01:36 PM
Let me count thy wounds

blasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to blasphemous_prime Send a message via Yahoo to blasphemous_prime Send a message via Skype™ to blasphemous_prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedubguru View Post
Thanks Prime. I'll appreciate any other ideas you might have to keep this thing running smooth.

How many programs (on average) have people been able to have running at the same time? I know mine starts to hang with Pocket IE, Messaging, and say one game....
on an average scale with devices that have less than 20MB of RAM, i would have to say 3 the minimum or 6 at max depending on how much memory hogs the programs ran are, but if you would like a device with more RAM, i would recommend a 700wx. i bought a family friend one last xmas and he loves it...
Old 05-23-2008, 06:24 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

Question Re: 700w Pagepool Size???

Heya Prime! I found the multiplatform Pagepool Changer app. Extracted the Verizon 1.22 rom files and had it look to the largest file which I'm assuming is the rom. It was FwAndRom.ruu.

It's saying it's found the pagepool, at offset 7e1466, and showing that it's set to 2MB. That's crazy low!

Now I'm not sure if I can safely change the size to 6MB and flash without smoking the phone. Is there anyone you know that has a test Treo that is sort of partially fubared that we could test this on? Or maybe someone else who has traveled this path before and might shine some light on it?

I've got my heart set on getting that available program memory up there a bit. I still can't believe that they give us 60MB worth of storage!!! Why Palm, why???

Last edited by veedubguru; 05-23-2008 at 06:39 PM.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:35 AM
Let me count thy wounds

i feel ya there bro. let's just put our hopes up on the next generation WM Treo which is usually great on memory (and u hope it's like the WX).
Old 05-25-2008, 12:29 AM
Halfway to VIP Status
Threadstarter

I'm bidding on a 700W on ebay right now that has intermittent screen issues. I'll try the flash on this glitchy one and let everyone know. Hoping for a successful boot and a non jacked-up file system.

If sucessful I'll post the instructions step-by-step to change it.

Wouldn't it be nice to open up the memory settings screen and see 20-24MB FREE SPACE on the program side???

Wish me luck, and for those of you that have the 700W, if this works your phone may be not so much of a memory clean up pain! Keep your fingers crossed on both the auction and success in this attempt.

Thanks for everyones assistance so far. I'll keep you posted......

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX