PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2008, 06:40 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: 700wx
Carrier: sprint

WhollyMindless is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Missing phone on today screen

Hey, I just had something weird happen and now I am missing the phone app on my today screen.

Normally after a reset, my left soft button is mapped to "Messages" but now it says "Phone" (like it normally does for 10 seconds before the phone plugin is loaded). Selecting the "Phone" soft button responds, but doesn't leave the today screen.

I can start the dialpad application and I can dial out from Pocket Informant (but I don't see the normal call progress window).

Does anyone know which app/file I should look for? I'd appreciate any help as I don't know what's going to happen when I get a call now!
Old 05-21-2008, 06:46 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

WhollyMindless is a n00b
Re: Missing phone on today screen

I did find a DialLookupPlugin.dll in my \\Windows directory that sounds like what I want but I don't know how to try to "enable" it in the today screen. (No, it's not an option in the today settings, I looked).

TIA.

Update: Trying to run Sprite Backup caused the device to finally report a message like "Something's wrong. A reset is necessary to clean up.", hitting "ok" caused the device to reset and "poof" - it seems to have recovered. I'm not really a fan of magic when hardware's involved but at least it's working again. If anyone has some ideas or comments, I'd still love to hear them because I suspect that this will happen again. (I've owned a treo before...)

Last edited by WhollyMindless; 05-21-2008 at 06:59 PM.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:05 PM
Coz-erator
Pocket PC: Sprint Galaxy Note 2 & other misc digital devices
Carrier: Sprint

CozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to CozBoogie Send a message via Yahoo to CozBoogie

Sounds like you have a conflict somewhere. What were the last couple of apps that you downloaded?

I'd start with something MemMaid or SKtools to clean up your device (clear out cookies, temp files, bad shortcuts, bad regs, etc.).

Do a soft reset after that and report back.

late,
Coz
Old 05-22-2008, 12:11 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

WhollyMindless is a n00b

Thanks for the SKtools recommendation. It certainly does a lot of the things I wanted to do by hand.

As I stated in my update, something noticed that things were "messed up" when I tried to restore and fixed up what was causing the phone application not to function.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:36 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

WhollyMindless is a n00b

OK, It's happened again and I've traced it to a failed Sprite Backup.

A scheduled backup failed, and only got part way through the process - moving startup things out of the way like today plugins in preparation for backup but failing to complete and restart after returning everything.

I now know where to follow up with this. Thanks!

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX