PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2007, 02:35 PM
N00b

bossmansmith is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
copying music to sd card

i purchased a transcend 4gb 150x sd card because it was 1. bigger then the ones i can get locally 2. faster supposedly

my problem is this - my brother printer mfc 210c reader will recognize and copy to my soon to be returned PNY 2gb (11mb in 31 secs) however my reader will ot even recognize the trascend card when i put it in, so i tried to copy straight to sd card via treo and the 11mb took 1:26 mins. is there a way to fix this or do i have to return the 4gb (would like to keep for the space)?

thanks for everyones help

followup: i copied the same 11mb file straight to treo with the PNY card in it and it copied at 43secs still faster then the so called 150x trascend card, so something is difinately funny - maybe there is a way to format the trascend to see if that fixes it before i have to return the 4gb card
Old 02-21-2007, 02:41 PM
What I do is a Lou Thang
Pocket PC: Incredibl / Bold
Carrier: Verizon

wowthatisrandom is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwowthatisrandom is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwowthatisrandom is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwowthatisrandom is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to wowthatisrandom Send a message via MSN to wowthatisrandom Send a message via Yahoo to wowthatisrandom
i think it has to do with the 4gb being sdhc... could be totally wrong but i believe that some older readers dont hvae the ability to read them.... altho i know this for sure it is always faster to do it thru the reader (or in my case my dell monitor) the transfer rate from the sync cable is TERRIBLE
Old 02-21-2007, 02:47 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

bossmansmith is a n00b
its not an sdhc card it is the trascend 150x 4gb (model TS4GSD150) and i thought the transfer via treo would be slow but the trascend card is slower then the normal pny card that i have.

anyway to fix that?
Old 02-21-2007, 02:53 PM
What I do is a Lou Thang
Pocket PC: Incredibl / Bold
Carrier: Verizon

wowthatisrandom is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwowthatisrandom is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwowthatisrandom is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwowthatisrandom is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to wowthatisrandom Send a message via MSN to wowthatisrandom Send a message via Yahoo to wowthatisrandom
only thing i can think of is that the transcend isnt really as fast as it says it is... there was a thread somewhere around here with what 4gb cards people where using and which ones they liked the best.

sounds like you have a decision on your hands.. faster smaller card... slower bigger card.. which is more important... i know for me i dont really care if its music as i leave myself some time to copy it over... so id say stick with the 4gbs. but hey wat do i know
Old 02-21-2007, 04:04 PM
The Enforcer
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G, ViewSonic gTablet, BB Bold 9650
Carrier: Sprint

Pibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIP
I think it goes back to the issue that the Treo only 'officially' supports up to 2GB SD cards and that's why some 4GB cards don't work on it.

---
Don't forget to Search first!
Old 02-21-2007, 05:43 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

bossmansmith is a n00b
ok i went out and bought a usb2.0 reader and it is extremely fast in that, so it is definately something within the treo. if anyone has had this problem and knows how to fix it i would appreciate it. i guess i can eat the $5 shipping and 10% restock if someone knows of a card that in fact reads and writes at a high speed within the treo and within a reader.

thanks
Old 02-21-2007, 07:04 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

bossmansmith is a n00b
UPDATE

ok i have real world tests on transferring music files to and from each card.

24 mb file
to transcend via treo 2min 04sec
from transcend via treo 58sec
to pny via treo 1min 25sec
from pny via treo 58sec

100mb file
to transcend via reader 25sec
from transcend via reader 09sec
to pny via reader 25sec
from pny via reader 09sec

obivously my pny is either a highspeed card or the trascend 150x isnt high speed, but all things considered why would the treo write 25% slower to the trascend card then to the pny card?
Old 02-21-2007, 08:02 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

Sonin66 is becoming a great contributor
coping a file using your treo is going to be very slow. a few secs doesnt really matter in my opinion because theres another 2gb difference. maybe try a topram 4gb 150x sd card. and with big files, you should always use a card reader with your card!
Old 02-21-2007, 08:37 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

bossmansmith is a n00b
thanks for info on the topram card? do you have a treo 700wx and uset his card? if so any chance of getting up to speed rate it using the audiocity program located here http://audacityaudio.com/vfst.htm

with all my looking i have found out a few important things. first - the audiacity program is the smiplist and easiest to just get your sd card speed, second that i was able to increase my write speed 10x by reformatting my trascend 4gb 150x using 32k clusters, third is that the bigger the card the slower the base speed so you need a high speed 4gb card to come close to a regular speed 2gb card

my results with the card speed testing utiliy were
standard winxp format - transcend 4gb 150x
wrt32bit 155
wrt8KB 14918
read8KB 7281777

32k cluster format - transcend 4gb 150x
wrt32bit 260
wrt8KB 137392
read8KB 7943757

pny 2gb
wrt32bit 248
wrt8KB 255500
read8KB 4766254
Old 02-22-2007, 01:52 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

Sonin66 is becoming a great contributor
i had a wx before i got the 830w. i had the topram 150x 2gb card with it and it wrote with a card reader fast. and i have never tried the program. it might increase it, and might not. you can always try and let everyone know what happed. and i forgot to say, sometimes you have to format the card. also these 150x cards only write at 15mb/s and read at about 22mb/s.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX