PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Palm Treo 700W/WX (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Outgoing Email Issues Earthlink (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=2538)

Tanner_Boyle 02-14-2007 11:02 PM

Outgoing Email Issues Earthlink

I can't send using my Earthlink Pop3 email settings. I receive email but I can't receive it. I have tried different setting including adding the port 587 to the end of the the smtpauth.earthlink.net server.
Any suggestions?
Thanks!!

Pibe38 02-15-2007 05:38 AM

What error are you getting? If you are getting the invalid recipient error it's because most ISPs don't want you using their SMTP server (outgoing) from other networks.

You need to change the settings of your POP account to use Sprint's SMTP server. I don't do this so I don't have the details, but I know customer service has guided users through this before.

dalexiou 02-15-2007 11:40 AM

I assume you meant that you can receive email but cannot send it. As Pibe said, you have to use Sprint's server for outgoing messages to be sent. The info is as follows:
In the account settings, keep Earthlink's incoming mail settings, but change the Outgoing mail to: smtp.sprintpcs.com
Click Options, then Next
Check the box for outgoing mail requires authentication
Click on the Outgoing settings and then enter in your Vision user name and password.

You should be good to go to send emails now.....

Pibe38 02-15-2007 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dalexiou
I assume you meant that you can receive email but cannot send it. As Pibe said, you have to use Sprint's server for outgoing messages to be sent. The info is as follows:
In the account settings, keep Earthlink's incoming mail settings, but change the Outgoing mail to: smtp.sprintpcs.com
Click Options, then Next
Click on the Outgoing settings and then enter in your Vision user name and password.

Thanks for providing the details! This information is exactly what I didn't remember! :wink:

Tanner_Boyle 02-15-2007 04:03 PM

Quote:

Click Options, then Next

It wasn't that at all. I had to enter the port number after the outgoing server info smtpauth.earthlink.net:587

Pibe38 02-15-2007 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tanner_Boyle
Quote:

Click Options, then Next

It wasn't that at all. I had to enter the port number after the outgoing server info smtpauth.earthlink.net:587

You are lucky, most ISPs don't allot to send e-mail from other networks :wink: