PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2008, 07:31 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: treo 700wx
Carrier: none

kocoman is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: 700wx custom rom

I think we need a WM6 CDMA version of the rom first. I am not familiar with which phones is CDMA with WM6

ie: One thing I don't understand is why the Treo 750 is considered HTC/xda developers based while the 700wx is not. both are by Palm?

Also we need a failsafe way to restore if something goes wrong. I don't want a brick from experiments. ( you can look at my signature)
Old 04-21-2008, 10:54 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: iPhone
Carrier: AT&T

Bearxor is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kocoman View Post
I think we need a WM6 CDMA version of the rom first. I am not familiar with which phones is CDMA with WM6

ie: One thing I don't understand is why the Treo 750 is considered HTC/xda developers based while the 700wx is not. both are by Palm?

Also we need a failsafe way to restore if something goes wrong. I don't want a brick from experiments. ( you can look at my signature)
We can rip the Palm WM6 OS without worrying about the modem drivers. The Treo 750 and 700wx are both manufactured by HTC. The thing to remember about xda-dev is that it is majority world-wide GSM users. Since GSM phones, like the T750, are also sold in european countries as unbranded phones, it's easy to get in to them without worrying about specialized carrier software. It's not uncommon for the GSM variant of a device to get love over at xda-dev while the CDMA version is ignored. Look at the PPC-6600.

Also, on boot, the device attempts to flash from the sd card, as long as it attempts to boot, it seems like it can be flashed back to the stock sprint update.
Old 04-21-2008, 11:41 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: Samsung Note 4
Carrier: Verizon

syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

I may be missing a crucial point here, but why is WM6 always mentioned? Wouldn't it be easier (at least to start with) to take the current ROM and add/subtract, and cook a custom version, and when that works, try for the WM6?

(as you can probably tell I am not even close to being a programmer, so please excuse what may be a pretty naive sounding question!!)

Old 04-22-2008, 12:44 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: treo 700wx
Carrier: none

kocoman is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearxor View Post
We can rip the Palm WM6 OS without worrying about the modem drivers. The Treo 750 and 700wx are both manufactured by HTC. The thing to remember about xda-dev is that it is majority world-wide GSM users. Since GSM phones, like the T750, are also sold in european countries as unbranded phones, it's easy to get in to them without worrying about specialized carrier software. It's not uncommon for the GSM variant of a device to get love over at xda-dev while the CDMA version is ignored. Look at the PPC-6600.

Also, on boot, the device attempts to flash from the sd card, as long as it attempts to boot, it seems like it can be flashed back to the stock sprint update.
I've ask before in xda developers..

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=384071

Who is right..?

What is the reason there is no ROM stuff for 700wx while there is some ROM stuff for 750? because of GSM? because of WM6?? because it "looks" better. ?

I don't understand why all the people fall for the hype of centro, its nearly the same Palm OS as the 700p/755p

Creator of Treo 700p CDMA ESN&PRL repair without Bitpim/QPST/checksums. Only USB cable needed (Tested on 650/755p successfully by others), Rewritten by Kshah

(Shadowmite's serial cable becomes obsolete..) Also progress by beezlewaxin with 600/Centro

Looking for bricked/stuck in bootloader Treo CDMA 700p/700w/700wx/755p/Centro for research, to create solutions for ie: using WM6 on 700p or vice versa, un/debricking.

(no PM pls)
Old 04-22-2008, 07:24 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Vogue
Carrier: Money-theiving VZW

xd1936 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via ICQ to xd1936

It doesn't matter who makes it, start a new thread if it matters so much. Let's focus on the ROM. The only palm WM6 model is the 750... is it possible to start with a custom ROM for another device and change the screen settings? Or are the drivers for different devices really that different. Perhaps using a base generic WM6, then taking the drivers off of a stock 700wx WM5 ROM?

Old 04-22-2008, 08:59 AM
Let me count thy wounds
Pocket PC: Photon 4G
Carrier: Sprint

blasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIPblasphemous_prime is a VIP
Send a message via AIM to blasphemous_prime Send a message via Yahoo to blasphemous_prime Send a message via Skype™ to blasphemous_prime

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozboogie View Post
Hey Prime, let us know how it goes.

late,
Coz
will do coz, and i downloaded it onto my desktop, but i'll see if i can also flash it to his wx as soon as i get another usb cable for him. then the good times will roll.
If you are literally serving shit to American children, or knowingly spinning a wheel where it is not unlikely that you will eventually serve shit – if that’s your business model? Then I got no problems with a jury of your peers wiring your nuts to a car battery and feeding you the accumulated sweepings from the bottom of a monkey cage. In fact, I’ll hold the spoon.” -Ralph Dunlop-
Old 04-22-2008, 03:43 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: iPhone
Carrier: AT&T

Bearxor is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xd1936 View Post
It doesn't matter who makes it, start a new thread if it matters so much. Let's focus on the ROM. The only palm WM6 model is the 750... is it possible to start with a custom ROM for another device and change the screen settings? Or are the drivers for different devices really that different. Perhaps using a base generic WM6, then taking the drivers off of a stock 700wx WM5 ROM?
While using a stock WM6 rom is a good place to start, especially to see if we can make this work, using a regular WM6 ROM, IMHO, would be counter-intuitive to the whole idea of having a Treo. The reason I still use a Treo and am waiting patiently for the Treo 800w is because of the care that Palm put in to the underlying operating system. The changes they make are not on the surface above the WM software like HTC does, but actually in the base of the OS rather than tacked on. It's what makes the Palm device superior to the HTC devices, IMHO.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:48 PM
VIP Member

syrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributionssyrguy1969 should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearxor View Post
While using a stock WM6 rom is a good place to start, especially to see if we can make this work, using a regular WM6 ROM, IMHO, would be counter-intuitive to the whole idea of having a Treo. The reason I still use a Treo and am waiting patiently for the Treo 800w is because of the care that Palm put in to the underlying operating system. The changes they make are not on the surface above the WM software like HTC does, but actually in the base of the OS rather than tacked on. It's what makes the Palm device superior to the HTC devices, IMHO.
I think that may also be why Treo WM5 ROM hasn't been cooked like others, and is so tough to 'crack'. Double-edged sword....the OS is modified for our specific device, but the price is (so far at least) not being able to customize the ROM!!
Old 04-22-2008, 08:28 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Treo 700wx
Carrier: Sprint

palmetto2 is a n00b

Never mind. I tried the SD card in use in my Panasonic digital camera in the 700wx and it worked. Then I put the original card in the camera and it formatted the card automatically. Then it worked in the 700wx. Go figure.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:51 PM
VIP Member

OK...unbelievably enough I just won a 700WX on ebay for $10!!!!

It is Sprint, but I think it should do nicely for testing this procedure, so I should be able to try this out soon!!!! I already paid, and as long as it works as promised (there is a time-frame to return) I should be good to go!!!!

Besides....what is the worst that could happen......I'm out ten bucks.....LOL!!!!!

edit: Wouldn't you know it (I knew I should have waited to post this)....as soon as I posted this, I checked my mail, and there was a note from the seller:

"I tried to delete the auction before it closed. Cell phone was
broken during our apartment move to our other apartment.
Please let me know how to refund/return your payment. My
sincere apologizes. I did cancel the auction, though."

I think he forgot to set a minimum bid value and is reniging on the sale. I am thinking of writing back and telling him I will take it anyway for parts and battery (I can always use an extra), and the case he was selling with it. Call his bluff. (I am a bit peeved....too coincidental, I am sure he didn't break this in the last minute, and not get the note to me until AFTER I paid!!!!

Sorry about the rant, off subject I know!!

Last edited by syrguy1969; 04-22-2008 at 10:42 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX