PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Palm Treo 700W/WX (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   No data connection after soft reset? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=24146)

pdawg17 04-15-2008 01:52 PM

No data connection after soft reset?

Whenever I soft reset my phone I lose my data connection...I have to start PIE or sync my rss program to get it to say "dialing #777" and then it connects...once I do that it stays connected so this seems to be a problem with the WM5 startup not connecting...is there somewhere in the registry to check or is there a setting somewhere that got changed?

InvincibleLiving 04-15-2008 01:55 PM

Re: No data connection after soft reset?

What rom are you running, and how long has this issue been occuring?

Success100 04-15-2008 01:58 PM

umm, if im interpreting what ur saying correctly, your upset because your phone doesnt automatically dial #777 when you soft reset?

If that is the case, your phone is not supposed to. It will only do that if there is some type of program that requests the connection to be opened upon start-up, such as activesync or an instant messenger, or a weather program. If you do want it to happen automatically look into that or mortscript or something like that.

syrguy1969 04-15-2008 02:01 PM

I may be wrong, but as far as I know, that is normal behavior. The data connection starts when you initiate it. (Can you imagine if you didn't have a data plan and that happened?). My 'solution' was (if you use PhoneAlarm) to modify a PA skin to include a data 'switch'.

If you really want it 'automatic' though I bet someone in here can give you the line, or a script of some sort to do it automatically on startup if you really want though!!

pdawg17 04-15-2008 02:19 PM

Interesting...well I guess ever since I got the phone I've had something installed that requests an immediate connection then...I do use mail2web through activesync...is there something to look for there?

Success100 04-15-2008 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pdawg17 (Post 250685)
Interesting...well I guess ever since I got the phone I've had something installed that requests an immediate connection then...I do use mail2web through activesync...is there something to look for there?

now that my friend, is probably the culprit....

heres what happens...

when you first connect to an exchange server, activesync automatically assumes your using it for push email, and configures it to "as items arrive", because of that, activesync automatically opens the connection when you soft reset, and also keeps your data connection open while your device is on(either dormant or active)

to check it, go to activesync on your phone, hit menu(bottom right softkey), and schedule, from there, you can alter it to your liking...

InvincibleLiving 04-15-2008 02:45 PM

i completely took for granted that i have apps that do immediately open a data connection like pocketsportscenter.... so to me it really was 'normal' for my device to initiate a data session.... sheesh this modded life has made me forget what it was like before all my apps and tweaks!

pdawg17 04-15-2008 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nautica2450 (Post 250715)
i completely took for granted that i have apps that do immediately open a data connection like pocketsportscenter.... so to me it really was 'normal' for my device to initiate a data session.... sheesh this modded life has made me forget what it was like before all my apps and tweaks!

This is my problem...I can't figure out what I got rid of or changed that now made me lose my data connection at startup...something changed but I can't figure out what...

Activesync is set to "as items arrive" which is how I thought it should be set since I want to be notified immediately when an email is sent to me...

Sprints700wx 04-21-2008 07:30 AM

I might be kind.of experiencing the same thing..my connection usually would stay connected even if not in.use and now if its not in use for lets say 2 or 3 minutes ..I just Drops and It has to reconnect again if I want to surf the web or log on to Palringo/Slick?? any ideas??