PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2008, 03:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

FalloutMan is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
gps?

So, I just got my treo and I was curious how to enable the gps, if it has one. Sprints site says it has it on the description but I can't figure out how to do it.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:01 PM
The Enforcer
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G, ViewSonic gTablet, BB Bold 9650

Pibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIP
Re: gps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalloutMan View Post
So, I just got my treo and I was curious how to enable the gps, if it has one. Sprints site says it has it on the description but I can't figure out how to do it.
Sprint says the 700wx has GPS? Where?

The Sprint 700wx does not have GPS unfortunately.

---
Don't forget to Search first!
Old 04-01-2008, 01:10 AM
Coz-erator
Pocket PC: Sprint Galaxy Note 2 & other misc digital devices

CozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to CozBoogie Send a message via Yahoo to CozBoogie

You need an external GPS.

late,
Coz
Old 04-06-2008, 07:38 PM
N00b

Modus Operandi is a n00b

how much is external gps? to set it up to work.
Old 04-06-2008, 11:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Treo 700wx > Treo 800w > HTC Touch Pro 2 > HTC EVO

crazie.eddie is just getting started

If you to with Bluetooth, they can vary starting from $39.95 and up. Check them out at BuyGpsNow.com.

I just purchased the OnCourse Blue tooth GPS Receiver Edition 3, which is on sale for $39.95. I love it allot. It's small enough to carry in my pocket and it has a nice soft feel.

There are plenty of other BT receivers available. From what I've read, any of the latest BT receivers are good. There are 2 different types of chip sets, Sirf III and MTK. MTK is rather new, but still good. You will see different channels for the receivers, from 10, 20, and even 51 (with MTK). This refers to how many satellites the receiver can access. Supposedly, any of the current receivers can access up to 10 receivers to work properly, so I'm unsure why MTK chip sets would offer 51 channels.

The software I use is TomTom Navigator
. There's no subscription cost, but you need to buy the software. If you already have a GPS receiver, then just buy the software. Otherwise, they also sell bundled packages, which includes the software and receiver.

If you go with TomTom, you will need at least a 1Gb SD card, since you will have to install the maps on the SD. The main program can still be installed on the device. I currently use a 2Gb SD card, but since I keep my data, backups, and apps on the SD card, I order a 4GB sd card. Make sure you buy an SD card, NOT SDHC, which is SD HIgh Capicity. SDHC is NOT supported on the Treo 700wx.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:37 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: 700wx
Carrier: sprint

WhollyMindless is a n00b

I can confirm that BuyGPSNow.com (despite the totally dumb domain name) is really nice to work with. I bought a GlobalTop G33 and the damn thing works great. Totally blows my friend's Moto Q9's internal GPS out of the water. I get (often) 10-12 satellites while he gets 4 or 5. I even get 10 sitting at my kitchen table. Works great with a 700wx and anything else with basic bluetooth. Not very expensive, easily pocketable and has a HUGE battery life. (I go through two or three treo batteries in the time it takes the GPS to give out). It was just under $50 with free shipping and it made it in three days.

BuyGPSNow.com was really smooth to work with and I have had some online nightmares.
Old 04-09-2008, 02:31 AM
N00b

Modus Operandi is a n00b

^so how does that work? do you plug it into your computer then it connects to the internet then phone wirelessly somehow?
Old 04-09-2008, 10:30 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: 700wx
Carrier: sprint

WhollyMindless is a n00b

Bluetooth GPS receivers for the most part, just expose a serial connection to a computer or a ppc and any program that knows how to use a "standard" GPS can read the messages and use that to determine where and how fast the receiver is. (Hooking it up to a desktop isn't all that interesting from a mobility perspective.)

I was worried when I bought mine but the market has really matured to the point that it's really seems to be hard to find a combination that doesn't work. The standards are pretty solid now.

(Oh, you were talking about the online nightmares - Shopping issues, not product issues. It's hard to be sure you're dealing with a reputable company online still. The big boys can and do take advantage of that by not being the most competitive pricing or customer service. Find a good small retailer and support them - or Buy Local. Remember that they're your neighbors and if they are out of a job they'll break into your house. Hope they steal your GPS so you can track them down)

Last edited by WhollyMindless; 04-09-2008 at 10:33 AM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX