PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2007, 01:10 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint

thecalip is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Is there an easier way to open the cover? I don't want to brutal force open it and can't put it back together
Old 01-30-2007, 01:53 PM
domo arigato mr roboto
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment
Carrier: Sprint since Feb 11, 2002
Threadstarter

elephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecalip
Is there an easier way to open the cover? I don't want to brutal force open it and can't put it back together
the only way I know is the only way I tried. If you're fear is that, you can always use some super glue... he he
Old 01-30-2007, 11:32 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Treo pro Soon to be Touch pro 2

remlle is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via ICQ to remlle Send a message via AIM to remlle Send a message via Yahoo to remlle
I closed it back with electrical Tape. cant hardly tell.
Old 01-30-2007, 11:37 PM
What I do is a Lou Thang
Pocket PC: Incredibl / Bold
Carrier: Verizon

wowthatisrandom is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwowthatisrandom is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwowthatisrandom is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwowthatisrandom is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to wowthatisrandom Send a message via MSN to wowthatisrandom Send a message via Yahoo to wowthatisrandom
Quote:
Originally Posted by remlle
I closed it back with electrical Tape. cant hardly tell.
lol who cares neways its the cable... it works... your phone is pretty, synced and... CHARGED!!
Old 02-02-2007, 12:03 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: DynaTAC 8000X
Carrier: sprint

cjohnson19401 is a n00b
one thing you should check with that meter.... see if the 5v from the usb port is back feeding into the port on the cable where you plug the wall charger in at. JUST IN CASE someone mods the cable then tries to plug the wall charger into the cable while it's plugged into the usb port. stupid i know...but you never know with some people.
Old 02-02-2007, 01:01 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: EVO 4G

billyman is becoming a great contributor
Did mine today, now I don't have to buy a second charger.
Excellent job elephant007.
Old 02-02-2007, 11:57 PM
The Enforcer
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G, ViewSonic gTablet, BB Bold 9650

Pibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIP
I noticed this today since I had my WX plugged in to my laptop all day. Even though the stock cable won't charge, it prevents the battery from discharging.

I've been at 88 - 89 percent all day!

EDIT: This is even more odd... now my battery is at 91%

---
Don't forget to Search first!
Old 02-03-2007, 05:37 PM
domo arigato mr roboto
Pocket PC: Samsung Moment
Carrier: Sprint since Feb 11, 2002
Threadstarter

elephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIPelephant007 is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjohnson19401
one thing you should check with that meter.... see if the 5v from the usb port is back feeding into the port on the cable where you plug the wall charger in at. JUST IN CASE someone mods the cable then tries to plug the wall charger into the cable while it's plugged into the usb port. stupid i know...but you never know with some people.
It's not stupid. I've already charged my Treo with the wall charger thing that has a USB port and everything was cool!
Old 02-04-2007, 06:26 AM
Lurker

P930 is a n00b
Re: Modify USB Sync Only Cable to Charge Too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephant007
I posted this on another forum and thought I would share here too! (everythingtreo.com)

At home for the weekend without my charger which I left at work. I only had the USB data cable that came with the phone and everyone knows that cable does not charge the 700wx. Desperate I came up with a resolve, modified my USB Data Cable to also CHARGE... that's right to CHARGE too!
How'd I do it you ask?
Know How: Soldering (don't have to be an expert)

Materials:
USB Data Cable (aka Sync Cable)
Soldering Iron
Solder
Small gauge wire (not bare)
Something small and sturdy to pry with (I used a mini screw driver)
Cutting device to cut wire (I used scissors)

Use the mini screw driver and your thumb nail to pry apart the top and bottom pieces of the sync connection, pry by the opening where you plug your charger into. Remove both piece from the PCB (the internal part that will be exposed after you pry the pieces off). Turn the piece so you are able to view where the wires are soldered. Grab your small gauge wire and strip an end off as small as possible. Only expose as much wire as you need to solder (this will ensure you do not have any shorts later). Solder the wire to the first wire on the USB wire (looking at the wirings from left to right) The wire will be identified as USBS. Solder the opposite end of the small gauge wire to the FIRST POST of the charging connection. After that is competed, you can test the newly modified USB Data/Charge Cable. Plug the cable into your computer and then into your Treo (doesn't matter which you do first) and TA DA, you should hear your Treo make the sound it makes when the charger is connected!!! Put your sync connection back together and there you have it... I will attempt to make a simple diagram.

@00___@0000
| ______|_____ USB WIRES (Solder wire to the @ sign)
|
|____________CHARGER POSTS (Solder other end of wire to @ sign)
Elephant007,
Many thanks for sharing this. I am going to try it with my USB cable in the morning.

However, I do have a question for those who have tried your invention.

Will the modified USB cable still work with the factory charger plug, that is, as soon as the factory charger plug is inserted to the USB cable, will the DC current short out the power source from either the laptop USB port or the factory charger?

Cheers,
Tony
SF, CA
Old 02-04-2007, 10:22 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Epic 4g, Optimus S

DexterDawg is becoming a great contributor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pibe38
I noticed this today since I had my WX plugged in to my laptop all day. Even though the stock cable won't charge, it prevents the battery from discharging.

I've been at 88 - 89 percent all day!

EDIT: This is even more odd... now my battery is at 91%
Wouldn't this make some sense considering the wx and the p use the same cable? I had a p for a couple weeks and the charge light came on when it was plugged into the computer, but charging was at best VERY slow without any use. I just am lost as to why the light turns on when the p is plugged in but not the wx.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX