PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2008, 05:38 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Treo 700wx 99$ UnlimiTed EvErYtHiNg
Carrier: Sprint

Romeo5k is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via MSN to Romeo5k
navigation

I called sprint for the sprint nav and the ppl tell me its not avail thru my phone and I have to get some adapter.... which is 100 bux I think..... she then tells me there are some third party apps that I could use... but she wouldn't give me a name.... I've googled but kinda unsuccesfull... so I'm hoping someone on here has tried navigatio with the WX
Old 03-12-2008, 01:32 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Tre 700wx

kaotek is a n00b
Re: navigation

you can use google map but you will need a gps receiver or you can scroll it yourself.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:33 AM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: Apple iPhone 8 Plus
Carrier: At&t

mindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation levelmindfrost82 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to mindfrost82

Yeah, the 700wx doesn't have GPS built-in, so you need a bluetooth GPS unit. Once you get that, there's a few options available.

Telenav will work for about $10/month.

Google Maps and Live Search will work, but it doesn't speak to you so you'll be looking at the screen for turns.

iGuidance is about $100 I think and that's my favorite software. It has text-to-speech to announce street names (which I think is the only PDA app that has that feature).
Old 03-17-2008, 10:07 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Treo 700wx > Treo 800w > HTC Touch Pro 2 > HTC EVO

crazie.eddie is just getting started

You could get a Blue tooth receiver. I just purchased the OnCourse Blue tooth GPS Receiver Edition 3, which is on sale for $39.95. I love it allot. It's small enough to carry in my pocket and it has a nice soft feel.

There are plenty of other BT receivers available. From what I've read, any of the latest BT receivers are good. There are 2 different types of chip sets, Sirf III and MTK. MTK is rather new, but still good. You will see different channels for the receivers, from 10, 20, and even 51 (with MTK). This refers to how many satellites the receiver can access. Supposedly, any of the current receivers can access up to 10 receivers to work properly, so I'm unsure why MTK chip sets would offer 51 channels.

The software I use is TomTom Navigator
. There's no subscription cost, but you need to buy the software. If you already have a GPS receiver, then just buy the software. Otherwise, they also sell bundled packages, which includes the software and receiver.

If you go with TomTom, you will need at least a 1Gb SD card, since you will have to install the maps on the SD. The main program can still be installed on the device. I currently use a 2Gb SD card, but since I keep my data, backups, and apps on the SD card, I order a 4GB sd card. Make sure you buy an SD card, NOT SDHC, which is SD HIgh Capicity. SDHC is NOT supported on the Treo 700wx.

Last edited by crazie.eddie; 03-22-2008 at 11:20 AM.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:03 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Treo 700wx 99$ UnlimiTed EvErYtHiNg
Threadstarter

Romeo5k is just getting started
Send a message via MSN to Romeo5k
Smile Re: navigation

i see i better just wait till i get my new radio in my car... And thats in about 2 mos.. im getting an pioneer AVIC Z3.. .. I was trying to go cheap until then, but it seems ill be wasting money if i buy all this stuff... so meh!!.. Thnx tho for the info.. some gr8 important points yall brought here..
Old 04-20-2008, 03:04 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: 800w
Carrier: sprint

robdmau is a n00b

I did this update about a month ago. I have noticed that the blue tooth connection to my headset works a lot better. But my sd slot GPS reciever spectec 812 does not connect to the satellites anymore...

I never had any issues, just pluged it in, let it warm up and with windows "live search" would find the satellites in seconds. after the update, it just keeps searching and search... I've let it sit in searching for atleast 30 to 40 mins before and never once found the satellites... any ideas?

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX