PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Palm Treo 700W/WX (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Setting up POP!?!??!??! (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=1906)

orangesuburban 01-18-2007 12:26 PM

Setting up POP!?!??!??!

ok, so i have gmail set up on my 700wx with pOutlook.

i have it set to check for emails every hour

I GET EMAILS AS SOON AS THEY COME IN.

now yes, this is cool, i mean seriously, if i am sitting at my laptop, where i get a pop up about new emails... my 700 will tell me before i get the pop up, so umm, BB, eat your heart out...

now this is all fine and dandy except now that im back in class i would prefer to only get emails once an hour rather then getting 4 email notifications in 45 minutes.... yes my phone is on vibrate, but i would still prefer to only have my phone vibrate once during class... a vibrating phone in a class room is just as annoying as a ringing one...

any ideas on what i need to change to make it work normally?

the only other thing i have set to get online is WP which is at every 6 hours...

schettj 01-18-2007 12:51 PM

push only works with exchange, so I have no idea how you're doing this. How often are you checking for new mail, every 1 minute???

orangesuburban 01-18-2007 01:32 PM

Re: Setting up POP!?!??!??!

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangesuburban

Yay 4 Juggs 01-18-2007 02:15 PM

i had noticed a glitch in the system when i had it checking my mail every hour or so...it wouldn't stop checking. even when i turned polling off it still did it.

wowthatisrandom 01-18-2007 03:21 PM

i have no idea what your phone is doing... try removing your email account and resetting it back up to check less often.. but actually remove it dont just change the checking time... maybe it glitched like yay said

nebula 01-18-2007 03:56 PM

Re: Setting up POP!?!??!??!

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangesuburban
ok, so i have gmail set up on my 700wx with pOutlook.

I GET EMAILS AS SOON AS THEY COME IN.

now yes, this is cool, i mean seriously, if i am sitting at my laptop, where i get a pop up about new emails... my 700 will tell me before i get the pop up, so umm, BB, eat your heart out...

That's technically Impossible, if you have your device setup to use gmail with POP. There is no way you will get email as soon as it arrives without you setting your device to check every minute or so, and still it is not instant.

JackSchitt28 01-18-2007 05:15 PM

just turn the speaker and vibrate completely off, then they will be waiting for you when class is over.

orangesuburban 01-18-2007 05:31 PM

yeah, i was gona do that. but then i got to thinking, it might be nice to save a little battery life too if it is checking more then it needs to be...

stratoman 01-18-2007 11:40 PM

Any chance of losing emails off the server?

When you setup POP mail this way, when you hit Send/Receive, does it definitely leave all of the emails up on the server after sending them to the 700wx? Or is it like Outlook Express where it can download it to the desktop and if you're not careful it will then delete them from the server.

Also, which emails show up on the 700wx when you hit Send/Receive? Just the Brand New emails, or any previous unread emails, or ....

I used to use Outlook Express on my desktop (not anymore).
When I had first setup it up, I had already had my Yahoo!Plus mail account for a long time. In OE, I forgot to check the option Not to delete the mails from the server, and when I hit Send/Receive for the first time, it downloaded ALL of the emails off of the server and then deleted them from the server, which was not what I wanted at all.

stratoman 01-20-2007 06:59 PM

Can "send / receive" be separated into "send&

I took the plunge, and hit "send / receive" on my Yahoo! Plus POP3 account, and sure enough, it tried to receive ALL of the emails I've accumulated over the last three years, even though I had selected to show only 2 days of email.

But I was able to hit "stop Send /Receive" before a massive download, and it did not delete anything off of the server, so no damage done.

What I really want is ability to control Send and Receive separately. And the second thing would be for Receive to provide an option of only receiving emails that are X days old.

Any way to do these things? Thanks!