PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2008, 12:06 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch
Carrier: Bell Canada

glparker4 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to glparker4 Send a message via Yahoo to glparker4
Post 4 Gig SDHC Card disappears

I have the HTC driver update so that my Treo 700wx will recognize my 4 Gig SDHC card. Everything works but it seems that after applying the 1.15 update, the phone's OS does not recognize the SD card after a certain amount of time usually around 6 to 8 hours. This causes a problem because many programs access the SD card (music, attachments, files). The only way that I have found to fix it is to do a soft reset on the Treo. I tried to find info on this and it seems that the problem is unique to me. Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 02-10-2008, 04:12 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

wouldya is a n00b
I just installed the HTC SDHC cab on my Vzw wx. I had to do a soft reset for the treo to recognize the card. I'll post back in the afternoon to see if i experience the same problem.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:37 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

wouldya is a n00b
OK, it's 9 hours later, the phone has been sitting idle that whole time.

It recognized the card was still inserted, and I had no trouble exploring the card in File Explorer.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:38 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

glparker4 is a n00b
Maybe it's just my model then. Does anybody know if there is a registry setting that instructs WM to power down the SD card after a period of inactivity to save energy?
Old 02-10-2008, 09:06 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Vogue
Carrier: Sprint

MULISHA05 is a n00b
Send a message via AIM to MULISHA05
Yea mine does the same after a certain amount of time. I find myself doing 1-3 soft resets a day.

Last edited by MULISHA05; 04-21-2008 at 10:09 PM.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:55 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

wouldya is a n00b
GLPARKER4..

You're problem... has become my problem. My 4GB card would vanish and reappear throughout the day. So, I uninstalled the HTC SDHC in Remove Programs, soft reset, and went back to my 2GB SD card. I'm a happier man for it.

The wx was becoming laggy and even navigating the today screen was taking forever. I had countless freezes and lock-ups. So before I wore out my reset button, I just got rid of the problem.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:25 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

glparker4 is a n00b
Re: 4 Gig SDHC Card disappears

Mulisha05, here is the link to the cab file: http://discussion.wmexperts.com/show....php?p=1343235

To everyone else, this problem seems to occur with SD cards that exhibit slow mount speeds. Apparently, the OS powers down the card to save energy and therefore makes the driver inactive. When the PDA is powered back up, the OS is not sure if the card is available. If a program or the OS attempts to access the card and the card doesn't respond by a given amount of time (timeout value), then the OS assumes that the SD card has been removed. Many SDHC cards exhibit this slower mount speed issue.

This timeout value is defined by the following registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\StorageManager\PNPUnload Delay

and

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\StorageManager\PNPWaitIO Delay

For those of you that care, a technical definition of these registry values can be found here: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa912238.aspx

To eliminate the disappearing storage card problem, you will need to increase these values. Mine were set to 2096 in my Treo 700wx. Even though you will find several forum posts where users have been able to modify these settings, this is WRONG INFORMATION. These settings are in a part of the registry that can not be modified by the user and is set by the OEM (different for each manufacturer). You can try changing these values, but you will find that they simply revert to the factory settings once you do a soft reset. However, this may not be for every device because here is a discussion where others have successfully modified these settings so YMMV: http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/foru...87618f67399642

Fortunately, while this site was down, I found a fix! I installed jasjamming's SD card fix.cab which modified these values from 2096 to 33186 and I have only experienced this issue once since installing jasjamming's cab verses every 2-3 hours before. Again, YMMV but it is worth a try. Here is the link to the cab: http://www.4winmobile.com/forums/htc...mory-card.html
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

12gage is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by glparker4 View Post
Mulisha05, here is the link to the cab file: http://discussion.wmexperts.com/show....php?p=1343235

To everyone else, this problem seems to occur with SD cards that exhibit slow mount speeds. Apparently, the OS powers down the card to save energy and therefore makes the driver inactive. When the PDA is powered back up, the OS is not sure if the card is available. If a program or the OS attempts to access the card and the card doesn't respond by a given amount of time (timeout value), then the OS assumes that the SD card has been removed. Many SDHC cards exhibit this slower mount speed issue.

This timeout value is defined by the following registry keys:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\StorageManager\PNPUnload Delay

and

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\StorageManager\PNPWaitIO Delay

For those of you that care, a technical definition of these registry values can be found here: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa912238.aspx

To eliminate the disappearing storage card problem, you will need to increase these values. Mine were set to 2096 in my Treo 700wx. Even though you will find several forum posts where users have been able to modify these settings, this is WRONG INFORMATION. These settings are in a part of the registry that can not be modified by the user and is set by the OEM (different for each manufacturer). You can try changing these values, but you will find that they simply revert to the factory settings once you do a soft reset. However, this may not be for every device because here is a discussion where others have successfully modified these settings so YMMV: http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/foru...87618f67399642

Fortunately, while this site was down, I found a fix! I installed jasjamming's SD card fix.cab which modified these values from 2096 to 33186 and I have only experienced this issue once since installing jasjamming's cab verses every 2-3 hours before. Again, YMMV but it is worth a try. Here is the link to the cab: http://www.4winmobile.com/forums/htc...mory-card.html

thanks for this!!! I was beating my head into the wall everytime I'd go to resume a movie and my damn card couldn't be found. I hope this works, thanks again.
Old 04-20-2008, 02:49 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: 800w
Carrier: sprint

robdmau is a n00b

so what do I need to get the HCSD cards to work? I tried one the other day because I read somewhere that the new update lets you use the HCSD cards... nothing, doesn't find the card period...
Old 05-29-2008, 05:11 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Verizon XV6700

berdecinc is a n00b

The jasjamming's SD card fix.cab worked like a charm on my Verizon XV6700. Both values were factory set at 1500 on my device. The .cab set both at 33174. Does anyone know the significance of that specific number? BTW, the referenced MS article said default's 5000 (WM6?) for unload delay, and 3x that for I/O delay setting. Thanx a bunch!

Last edited by berdecinc; 05-29-2008 at 05:35 PM.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX