PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2007, 12:16 AM
Lurker

redhat is a n00b
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
What is Phone application?

My phone seems to slow down when I have too many applications running at once. So I've been pressing OK to shut things down more often.

Sometimes I see an application called Phone, but not always. Also sometimes, but not always, when I press the Stop All button I get a dialog box saying that the Phone application can't be stopped now because it is waiting for input from me or waiting for something else.

What is that application and what does the message mean? Is it bad that I force it to stop or is it really doing something important?
Old 01-11-2007, 12:48 AM
The Enforcer
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G, ViewSonic gTablet, BB Bold 9650
Carrier: Sprint

Pibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Are you using a 3rd party task manager to close your apps? Using the OK button with no task manager attached to it just minimizes the apps.

Also, the Phone app needs to be on in order for your phone to work. It's bascially the app that starts up when you hold down the red softkey.

---
Don't forget to Search first!
Old 01-11-2007, 11:06 PM
Lurker

strideman is a n00b
Re: What is Phone application?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhat
Sometimes I see an application called Phone, but not always.
I have exactly the same problem. Holding down the OK button does exactly that -- rids one of background programs (what few can survive on such little RAM, all at once). Phone is NOT generally one of the programs you need to manage, but sometimes this shows up as if the phone itself were a user-installed program. Well, Treo is a phone, so what indeed gives? I've forced this named program to shut down numerously, but it doesn't damage my ability to dial the phone. Somehow, the application appears to malfunction a bit -- particularly if it is showing up in Apps. I don't believe it should be showing up at all. The way to shut down the phone should only be by pressing and holding the red key. So this, then, would appear to be one of Treo's almost innumerable glitches.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:48 PM
The Enforcer
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G, ViewSonic gTablet, BB Bold 9650
Carrier: Sprint

Pibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIPPibe38 is a VIP
I've never seen the Phone app from the OEM task manager ('Running Programs').

I only used to see it from the iLauncher task manager, which I configured to Ignore the phone app. Any chances you guys had the Dial Pad open when going to the Running Programs? The dial pad is part of the phone app.
Old 01-12-2007, 08:42 AM
Lurker

strideman is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pibe38
Any chances you guys had the Dial Pad open when going to the Running Programs? The dial pad is part of the phone app.
Ah. Maybe.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:54 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: iPhone4
Carrier: AT&T

Certs is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on rep
If you see the PHONE app in your task manager you can stop it, its totally safe. I've never seen this on the 700's, only other wm device that have the stand-alone phone app (dialer skins, etc) not the Palm custom app. I always stop it when I see it running on my 8525
Old 01-13-2007, 04:16 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

redhat is a n00b
Thanks for the info. I just got back from a trip after starting this thread.

Pibe38, you said "Also, the Phone app needs to be on in order for your phone to work." but that doesn't seem to be the case. At least with the situation I have with my 700wx.

I should have been clearer - I hold down the OK button pretty regularly to get the "Running Programs" list. Then I pick things to shut down completely.

Most of the time there is no Phone application listed yet the phone works just fine. However sometimes there is a Phone app listed. When I have it on the list and press the Stop All button, sometimes I will get the Phone program not responding message.

I did some experiments and it seems related to the dial pad. If I look at the dial pad I end up with the Phone app that doesn't respond to the Stop All command so it must be waiting for me to dial. I assume forcing the dial pad to shut down isn't going to do anything bad so I'm ok.

Thanks again for the input.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:11 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

santos is just getting started
Phone.exe is the on-screen dialpad and that's it.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX