PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2006, 12:45 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Palm Pre
Carrier: Sprint

pcemkr is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to pcemkr Send a message via Yahoo to pcemkr
Short Bus NoOb here...SMTP Question

New to the whole Treo world, although this site has moved me along pretty quickly. Has there ever been or is it forseen that a possible hack would/could be created to allow SMTP capabilities?
Old 11-08-2006, 12:51 PM
Moderator/WMExperts Staff
Pocket PC: Pure, TP2, Snap, Ozone, Intrepid,Treo Pro

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Re: Short Bus NoOb here...SMTP Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcemkr
New to the whole Treo world, although this site has moved me along pretty quickly. Has there ever been or is it forseen that a possible hack would/could be created to allow SMTP capabilities?
elaborate.

not sure what you mean here.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:55 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

pcemkr is a n00b
So I can use poutlook to send emails from my isp account, which requires smtp for outgoing. From what I understand, as of right now, it only supports pop and imap, just curious if smtp might be added in the future.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:59 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: iPhone4
Carrier: AT&T

Certs is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
POP and IMAP both use smtp for outgoing mail. If you know your server settings you should be fine
Old 11-08-2006, 02:07 PM

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
The problem is your ISP.

You can set any SMTP server you want for outgoing, so WM definitely supports that.

But, your ISP might not support SMTP Relaying: that is you are on Sprint's Network, sending an email via your ISP. Problem is you are not on your ISP's network and hence they block you. This is to make sure you are a customer and are not spamming.

You can use Gmail or Sprint's SMTP servers for outgoing email to get around this.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:09 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

pcemkr is a n00b
I have the settings correct. Incoming, pop.west.cox.net: Outgoing, smtp.west.cox.net, but yet everytime I try to send a test message to my work email, I get The following recepients are invalid..

Am I missing something or is it the fact that outgoing for my ISP account requires smtp and it's not supported?

Color me confused

Old 11-08-2006, 02:12 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

pcemkr is a n00b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malatesta
The problem is your ISP.

You can set any SMTP server you want for outgoing, so WM definitely supports that.

But, your ISP might not support SMTP Relaying: that is you are on Sprint's Network, sending an email via your ISP. Problem is you are not on your ISP's network and hence they block you. This is to make sure you are a customer and are not spamming.

You can use Gmail or Sprint's SMTP servers for outgoing email to get around this.

Got it, makes sense now.

Is there a way to configure my gmail outgoing to be recieved as username@cox.net as opposed to @gmail.com to others, similar to the workaround for mail2web?
Old 11-08-2006, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malatesta
The problem is your ISP.

Got it, makes sense now.

Is there a way to configure my gmail outgoing to be recieved as username@cox.net as opposed to @gmail.com to others, similar to the workaround for mail2web?
No.

but you may be able to change it through Gmail --> Settings.

Also, fastmail.fm does allows this. So set up a free account with them and go through the setup. Probably your best bet.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:29 PM
Lurker
Threadstarter

pcemkr is a n00b
Allrite, got it working exactly the way I was wanting.

Indeed, Gmail does have this setting. You can go to your settings/accounts tab and add an email address that you want sent emails to appear as. Use the gmail smtp.gmail.com as your outgoing, obviously configuring the outgoing mail requires authentication and putting in your gmail account info, and there you go.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:46 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: iPhone4
Carrier: AT&T

Certs is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Allrite, got it working exactly the way I was wanting.

Indeed, Gmail does have this setting. You can go to your settings/accounts tab and add an email address that you want sent emails to appear as. Use the gmail smtp.gmail.com as your outgoing, obviously configuring the outgoing mail requires authentication and putting in your gmail account info, and there you go.
Wow, I had no idea gmail does this. Interesting...

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX