PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX
Register Community Search

Notices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2006, 09:38 AM
N00b

MsTreoDiva is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
LED Light on the 700wx

I could have swore I posted a topic on this but I guess not.

I want to know how to turn it on or is there a hack to turn it on. I know it annoys others but I am fine with it.

Old 11-08-2006, 11:52 AM
Moderator/WMExperts Staff
Pocket PC: Pure, TP2, Snap, Ozone, Intrepid,Treo Pro
Carrier: Sprint

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
You posted it here:
http://ppcgeeks.com/700wx-tips-n-tri...t852.html#9582

and the answer is still "Not w/out some very advanced hacking..." by which I mean specifically

a) it hasn't been done yet, so there is no hack
b) if it is to be done, it might not be easy

Plus you're fighting demand. Most people don't want this feature so there is less incentive to work on it.

re: your statement from the other thread
Quote:
I know it comes on with certain instances and on the Palm website it says its suppose to be on when you are in a sprint area.
This not correct. The LED only blinks orange if there is no service. It is not supposed to blink in a Sprint area.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:32 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Treo_newb is a n00b
Bruce with pocketmax said he would give it a look when he had a day free as read in the Treo Keylight thread in PocketMax forums.Many KUDO,s to Bruce for taking the time for us WX owners f,sure.Why Sprint and Palm left us in the desert on the led issue is beyond me.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:45 PM

Malatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIPMalatesta is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treo_newb
Bruce with pocketmax said he would give it a look when he had a day free as read in the Treo Keylight thread in PocketMax forums.Many KUDO,s to Bruce for taking the time for us WX owners f,sure.Why Sprint and Palm left us in the desert on the led issue is beyond me.
Well, the OP is talking about the LED "blinking for Phone service" like the old 650 did. It would blink whenever in a Sprint area.

So that is different than what Bruce may someday look at which is how to control the LEDs for Emails/SMS, etc to have them blink when you have a new message (they do already if you use his PhoneAlarm). He has not mentioned if he'd get it to blink for service. Either way, I wouldn't hold your breath on that program! He's way too busy with PA 1.60 beta, his screenLock program and PhoneFilter.

Now it's off by default for 2 reasons:
1) It's annoying. Lots of people asked about the 650 how to turn that off, so much so that software was created for Palm OS to shut it off and Palm listened.

2) believe it or not: battery. Sure it's 1 LED blinking, but over one battery charge it does consume juice. Even Mike Calligaro (in charge of WM5 development noted this)
Old 11-08-2006, 12:57 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Treo_newb is a n00b
My bust lack of sleep Did not read his question fully.
Old 11-08-2006, 09:43 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

MsTreoDiva is a n00b
I found that people are happy no matter what.

However if you give people the option to have it or not would please everyone. I thought it was great that you could go to general options and turn it on and off.

More and more I am swaying to clean up my 650 and go back to it. The 700WX is nice and all but not for someone like me running three different businesses. Its just too complicated.. and I love complication but not if its affecting my work.

I saw some where on the web about a Butler program and an LED Shutoff hack. Will either of those allow you to turn the light on?
Old 11-08-2006, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsTreoDiva
I found that people are happy no matter what.

However if you give people the option to have it or not would please everyone. I thought it was great that you could go to general options and turn it on and off.

More and more I am swaying to clean up my 650 and go back to it. The 700WX is nice and all but not for someone like me running three different businesses. Its just too complicated.. and I love complication but not if its affecting my work.

I saw some where on the web about a Butler program and an LED Shutoff hack. Will either of those allow you to turn the light on?
I think I've been fairly clear on this topic :

There is NO hack, no software, no trick, no tip, nothing as of right now to turn the LED back on.

I am not aware of any active development to change this either.

As far as going back to a 650/less complicated, any time you learn a new system, with its own vernacular, software and functions, it will be more difficult than sticking with what you know. That's a given.

I found PalmOS just as confusing when I switched to the 650 from WM (dbcache? where exactly are my files? why did all my registration and preferences disappear? How do I just add files to the SD w/Hotsync?, etc.)

Everyone who says PalmOS is easier happens to also be very familiar with that OS and comfortable with it.

But if the no blinking LED is the deal breaker, return it now.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:35 PM
N00b
Threadstarter

MsTreoDiva is a n00b
No the LED is not the deal breaker its all the other complicated things that I found missing or just not here.

But thanks anyway you were really helpful.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:53 PM
Retired Staff
Pocket PC: iPhone4
Carrier: AT&T

Certs is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on repCerts is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
On the 650 it was an option, so I am surprised it isn't on this phone. but I'm with the anarchist, I'm VERY HAPPY it isn't!
Old 11-09-2006, 12:02 AM
Lurker

cookie319 is a n00b
I would like the feature. But more important, I want the LED alert feature that lights the LED solid red or orange when I receive a new Email or SMS/MMS.

I may not have the phone in my pocket at all times and leave it on the table. I want to see at a glance whether there's a new message.
This was done by Treo Allegro (freeware) for the 600 and 650.

Its the only thing missing for the 750v. I believe there's no registry hack for it. I have messed with the settings... its simply not programmed in. I tried Phonealarm, but I have some problems with it.... the screen brightness doesn't work for me (always goes under 50% despite setting at 100%, it goes under 50% when I set it under 100%.. roughly half)
AND it blinks Green on new SMS. Not what I'm looking for.

PPCGeeks > Windows Mobile > General Windows Mobile Discussions > Legacy WM Devices > Palm Treo 700W/WX