PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Palm Pre (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   okay i bought the pre...now what do i do? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=96058)

fixxxer2012 11-11-2009 09:38 PM

okay i bought the pre...now what do i do?

just bought a new palm pre instead of the hero. can you guys give me some helpful links to unlock the phone and theme it? maybe give me some tricks of the trade for a better experience?

fixxxer2012 11-11-2009 10:50 PM

Re: okay i bought the pre...now what do i do?

okay i figured out how to set the ringtone and change the wallpaper, google sync my contacts. i did some reading and im gonna wait to root until im comfy.

couple questions for a noob here:

how can i get yahoo messenger to work ?

can i set a separate tones for texts and emails?

NinjaMom 11-11-2009 11:33 PM

No need to root your phone. Get webos quick install from precentral.net. Install it on your computer. Put your pre in dev mode by typing upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart on your pre. Connect via to computer via usb. Select just charge on the pre.
Open quick install...The 3rd button on the right...push it. Select all feeds. Install the package manager first. Then preware.

Disconnect the pre. Turn off dev mode by typing in upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart

Then open preware on the pre and have fun!

khalid7412002 11-12-2009 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NinjaMom (Post 1321171)
No need to root your phone. Get webos quick install from precentral.net. Install it on your computer. Put your pre in dev mode by typing upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart on your pre. Connect via to computer via usb. Select just charge on the pre.
Open quick install...The 3rd button on the right...push it. Select all feeds. Install the package manager first. Then preware.

Disconnect the pre. Turn off dev mode by typing in upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart

Then open preware on the pre and have fun!

do you have to keep the pre in dev mode to able to apply patches later on?

NinjaMom 11-12-2009 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khalid7412002 (Post 1321565)
do you have to keep the pre in dev mode to able to apply patches later on?

For webos quick install, the phone will need to be in dev mode. But you only really need webos quick install to install preware for the first time. After that... all tweaks and themes can be done through preware ON THE PHONE.

With preware, the phone DOES NOT need to be in dev mode. There is also a tweak in preware for an icon so that dev mode is easier to get to then the code.

fixxxer2012 11-13-2009 04:40 PM

got it all set up with preware and i love this phone, way better and faster than my touch vogue & blackberry. i don't know why there is soo much hate for it, it's a darn nice phone.

spiritcrusher33 11-13-2009 04:51 PM

exactly how i feel..people like to hate on the pre and i dont know why.. I love it..

fixxxer2012 11-13-2009 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spiritcrusher33 (Post 1326555)
exactly how i feel..people like to hate on the pre and i dont know why.. I love it..

yeah i mean it still has the feel of android which i also digg. this thing is as good as an iphone or hero as far as im concerned. i got a great deal on the pre new and im glad i took the offer. ill probably keep this for quite awhile.

i do wish the battery life was a bit better but honestly it's not much worse than my vogue was running a custom 6.5 rom.

spiritcrusher33 11-13-2009 05:06 PM

the best decision i made was the seidio 2600 mAh extended battery.. def made my pre easier to type and hold on to.. and the extra juice it awesome.. added alittle girth to it. but now its solid...

krayzie7th 11-14-2009 05:23 PM

I guess i am joining you fixxxer i just got my pre today.