PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Palm Pre (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   is the pre worth it? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=91136)

fixxxer2012 10-18-2009 10:45 AM

is the pre worth it?

im due for an upgrade on nov 1st and ill be coming from a touch vogue. im not diggin winmo 6.5 at all. im torn between the htc hero and the pre. what do you guys think? is the pre worth it over android? ive played with the vogue/android builds and its much to unstable for me but i really like the look of it. the reason im torn on the pre is, i don't like the design and i hear there aren't very many themes or apps for it yet. i do know i can pick up a pre right now for cheaper than a hero.

any advice would be appreciated.

bradart 10-18-2009 10:51 AM

Re: is the pre worth it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by fixxxer2008 (Post 1243881)
im due for an upgrade on nov 1st and ill be coming from a touch vogue. im not diggin winmo 6.5 at all. im torn between the htc hero and the pre. what do you guys think? is the pre worth it over android? ive played with the vogue/android builds and its much to unstable for me but i really like the look of it. the reason im torn on the pre is, i don't like the design and i hear there aren't very many themes or apps for it yet. i do know i can pick up a pre right now for cheaper than a hero.

Get the hero. Seriously.

fixxxer2012 10-18-2009 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bradart (Post 1243886)
Get the hero. Seriously.

reasons why?

i do know there is apparently a ton of issues with the cdma hero that sprint needs to fix via an firmware update. + it cannot be rooted yet and there are only 1 custom rom available.

AsItLies 10-18-2009 11:03 AM

the pre is pretty sweet but so is there Hero. Form factor wise which do u prefer? I'd be happy with a virtual keyboard but maybe not everyone? For basic usage they both should be fine, if you have specialized needs then maybe determine which would be best? they are both good phones for sure.

MikeElGiga23 10-18-2009 11:05 AM

I had a pre like 2-3 months ago and sold it due to the fact that it felt more than a fancy cell phone than a smartphone to me. Of course that was before webOS 1.2 which enabled web downloading, universal copy-paste, and email searching among other updates. Now when i saw that, i was kinda bummed i sold it in the first place. i LOVED everything WebOS does, from how it handles sms, emails, web browsing, contacts and more.... But what does bother me when it comes to picking up another Pre and sticking to it is the apps. I dont mean in numbers, i mean in quality, and usefulness. The SDK is a joke, you cant make anything better than webapps and full screen widgets because you can only use Javacript, HTML etc. so apps that really excel in functionality or get the hardware involved are slim to impossible to make with the current tools provided. Kinoma Play developers and Coreplayer stated that they cant make WebOS versions of their award winning apps because of this, and the developers of Documents To Go also stated that their WebOS variation of the app will have to be delayed till Palm updates their OS of gives them the tools for deeper access (looks like they hit a dead end) :angry7: GPU access is impossible as well, and this affects battery, performance, and heat since the CPU is doing all the work.I have no idea what Palm is planning to do... either stay with the "simple yet limited" point of view, or give us a hardcore OS and SDK so it can really be up to par with Android, WM, and Apple

As of now i chose the Hero and i am extremely happy i did, it has everything i loved from WebOS contact-facebook integration and much better mind you, excellent photo app, better music player, tons and tons of apps that really get the hardware involved like Layar Reality Browser, Barcode Scanners, METAL DETECTORS, and more. The browser isnt as fast or smooth as WebOS but its more capable ATM with flash.

I wouldnt count out WebOS ATM but at its current state, its not for me. Still ill be looking at the Pre2 vs HTC Dragon next year and see where it is before i upgrade since i know WebOS has TONS of potential but not really there today or soon

Machinehead 10-18-2009 11:06 AM

I haven't had a chance to play with the hero yet, but I could make an argument for either device. The one thing that kept me from waiting for the hero is the lack of a physical keyboard. I can't type on a virtual keyboard for crap. Since you're coming from the touch then it may not be as big of a deal for you.

Android has more apps at the moment and is a more open platform than WebOS. It's also a bit more mature since Android has been around longer. The hero supposedly has superior battery life to the Pre.

It's all a matter of which device fits your needs better. Both devices are very good.

Machinehead 10-18-2009 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike20pr (Post 1243903)
(accelerometer for one) are slim to impossible to make with the current tools provided.

There actually are apps now that access the accelerometer. One of which is toppleball which is a teeter knock off. I can't comment if they've hacked access to it or if the SDK allows it now.

You're dead on though, the SDK is mess for WebOS right now and it's holding the developers back. Not to mention the artifical limits that Palm built in to WebOS like the various app limits and open card limit.

Carla 10-18-2009 11:13 AM

It seems everyone is giving you a shove towards the Hero. Which to most seems like the hot choice right now. I played with the Hero for a while in store a few days ago and it didn't do anything for me. I wasn't impressed with the feel or the OS personally. I love my Pre, it is a big step up IMO from my Touch Pro and Touch Diamond. I would say really play with both before you make the decision :) Good luck!

MikeElGiga23 10-18-2009 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Machinehead (Post 1243913)
There actually are apps now that access the accelerometer. One of which is toppleball which is a teeter knock off. I can't comment if they've hacked access to it or if the SDK allows it now.

You're dead on though, the SDK is mess for WebOS right now and it's holding the developers back. Not to mention the artifical limits that Palm built in to WebOS like the various app limits and open card limit.

cool, did not know about that. thanx for the clearup.

sad about the SDK though, i hope Palm does something about this

bradart 10-18-2009 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike20pr (Post 1243903)
I had a pre like 2-3 months ago and sold it due to the fact that it felt more than a fancy cell phone than a smartphone to me. Of course that was before webOS 1.2 which enabled web downloading, universal copy-paste, and email searching among other updates. Now when i saw that, i was kinda bummed i sold it in the first place. i LOVED everything WebOS does, from how it handles sms, emails, web browsing, contacts and more.... But what does bother me when it comes to picking up another Pre and sticking to it is the apps. I dont mean in numbers, i mean in quality, and usefulness. The SDK is a joke, you cant make anything better than webapps and full screen widgets because you can only use Javacript, HTML etc. so apps that really excel in functionality or get the hardware involved (accelerometer for one) are slim to impossible to make with the current tools provided. Kinoma Play developers and Coreplayer stated that they cant make WebOS versions of their award winning apps because of this, and the developers of Documents To Go also stated that their WebOS variation of the app will have to be delayed till Palm updates their OS of gives them the tools for deeper access (looks like they hit a dead end) :angry7: GPU access is impossible as well, and this affects battery, performance, and heat since the CPU is doing all the work.I have no idea what Palm is planning to do... either stay with the "simple yet limited" point of view, or give us a hardcore OS and SDK so it can really be up to par with Android, WM, and Apple

As of now i chose the Hero and i am extremely happy i did, it has everything i loved from WebOS contact-facebook integration and much better mind you, excellent photo app, better music player, tons and tons of apps that really get the hardware involved like Layar Reality Browser, Barcode Scanners, METAL DETECTORS, and more. The browser isnt as fast or smooth as WebOS but its more capable ATM with flash.

I wouldnt count out WebOS ATM but at its current state, its not for me. Still ill be looking at the Pre2 vs HTC Dragon next year and see where it is before i upgrade since i know WebOS has TONS of potential but not really there today or soon

This is exactly what i meant. Having played extensively with the demo pre at my store (read: playing for hours on it and hacking the living sh!t out of it) I would still choose my Diamond over it. That being said, i would trade my car in for a Hero.

spiritcrusher33 10-18-2009 11:51 AM

while i havent played with a hero..I did go back to the pre and sold my diamond. To me the pre is a great device now and its only gonna get better.. It really up to what u need and right now the pre works and works well and suits my needs in a smartphone..Which atm is pandora.. and the fast camera ( for my girls soccer games.) those 2 things my diamond failed at. point is think bout what u will be using your smart phone for etc.. dont fall into the hype of a new release.

(research, play and decide)<--------i live by that simple rule.

NinjaMom 10-18-2009 11:55 AM

I want to play with the Hero... Just because... But I honestly do not see me giving up my Pre until Palm comes out with a Pre2. Would love a storage card slot...just cause I feel naked without one. LOL

The card system for multi-tasking is something I can not see myself doing without EVER again.

spiritcrusher33 10-18-2009 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NinjaMom (Post 1243992)
I want to play with the Hero... Just because... But I honestly do not see me giving up my Pre until Palm comes out with a Pre2. Would love a storage card slot...just cause I feel naked without one. LOL

The card system for multi-tasking is something I can not see myself doing without EVER again.

well put!!!!!!!!

fixxxer2012 10-18-2009 12:35 PM

i just don't like the design of the pre even though webos looks amazing. i don't think the pre did half as well as sprint thought it would. this is a tough choice for me. :disgust:

Machinehead 10-18-2009 02:49 PM

Quote:

Would love a storage card slot...just cause I feel naked without one. LOL

Or a way to wirelessly sync files. Anything to not need to connect to a PC.

Quote:

+1 it's the most elegant solution to mutlitasking I've seen on a smartphone and Android has nothing even remotely close.

ericizzy1 10-18-2009 03:03 PM

Quote:

hell YES.

CozBoogie 10-19-2009 01:49 PM

I love my Pre. Love the simplicity of it...love the tweakability of it...love Synergy...love the card system as NinjaMom stated.

As of this writing there are 462 themes for the Pre. These themes can change just about every element of your system (from icons to notification, etc.) Installing/uninstalling a theme takes about 2 minutes an all you have to do is hit the "OK" button twice.

There are also 252 applications available.

I have 5 calendars feeding my Pre calendar...I have 4 email accounts (including an EAS account) feeding my Pre email.

Setting up calendars and emails takes 30 seconds (just enter your email addy and password)...nothing can be simpler.

I have 26 themes for my virtual keyboard which can be easily selected.

I could go on but I need to play with my Pre for a few minutes....

late,
Coz

CozBoogie 10-19-2009 01:51 PM

Check out the themes by syanni85 in the Pre Themes Forum to get an idea of what elements get changed when you install a theme.

late,
Coz

spiritcrusher33 10-19-2009 07:33 PM

exactly Ive got my pre all setup..lol but i updated without uninstalling the tweaks.. but got everything fixed but the v keyboard..keep getting error when i try to re-install it..

ive got everything the way i want it and can tether over wifi if needed.. couldnt be happier...

now waiting to get paid to get that seidio extended battery...

mlin 10-19-2009 07:59 PM

I have the Pre and I think the UI and OS is truly amazing. It is incredibly intuitive and easy to use and it all just makes sense. Unfortunately, I do not see the Pre being a major player in the smartphone game, whereas I think Android will be and thus there will continue to be more development for Android than there will be for WebOS. However, having used both, the Hero didn't do much for me and I feel that WebOS is a superior OS.

The keyboard takes a little getting used to, but once you learn to trust it and your fingers without really looking, you will notice you can type quite fast and with great accuracy. The current themes available are great and very extensive and as Coz mentioned, the app list is continuing to grow. I certainly hope the Pre does well because the OS is fantastic.

dfve 10-20-2009 12:52 PM

Quote:

in a word, no, i had a pre- from the 1st day out as did my wife, i had mine replaced 4 times and hers twice due to cheap mfgr loved the phone, hated the hardware...had a touch pro previous to it, and a tp2 since
my opinion....life is better with the increased hardware reliability...but, the pre is slick...

codybear 10-20-2009 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlaDarla (Post 1243922)
I would say really play with both before you make the decision :) Good luck!

Same ideaology can be applied to women. :D:D:D:D:D

ivan1.ruiz 10-21-2009 07:04 PM

Im thinking of going to the TP2 but still deciding

M2Iceman 10-22-2009 12:16 AM

I've had the Pre since day 1 and havent had a problem with the phone. My wife just got the Hero so I have had some time to play with it. So here's my opinion.

I love the Pre, its one of the first phones I can say Im satisfied with. 100%, no but enough for me to keep the phone. I did feel Palm kinda short changed us with some of the basic functions of the Pre that were in other Palm phone, CCP, scrolling cursor, message forwarding etc. I left a fully hacked Diamond to the Pre so I had to be patient in what the Pre couldnt do. With homebrews, my pain was eased. Am I close to 100%, no and I probably never will be. I love the cards system and the ability to go back and forth without having to close things. I think the most cards I had open was 5 and I had to get info from each and it was nice to flip back and forth. The keyboard took a bit to get use to. After 5 months, Im typing faster than ever, even with medium fingers. Yes, the phone does feel cheap, but after a couple cases, I love the BodyGlove and it makes it feel better and like the way it looks. Love the Tether and use it alot. Having flashed my wifes and my Diamond, the Pre is alot easier to get into. The apps will get better and in time I cant wait to see what can be done. Overall the functions of the Pre cant be matched even in the Hero.

Now with the Hero, I think first off its a better build, it felt better in my hand and the material didnt feel cheap. I like the idea of the 7 screens and how you can add widgets to your liking. I loved going into the App store and seeing the volume they have. Some of the small things that got me were, Text forwarding and that included a picture with audio. I cant do that with the Pre, why, IDK. Copy Cut Paste was alot easier on the Hero, even on WEB PAGES. I like the calender better on the Hero, but they really do need to have more adjustments that can done. I didnt feel I could multitask as much as I have read as I could on the Pre. Call quality are the same, texting is better function wise on the Hero, although I like the keyboard, my wife in now getting use to having to use her fingers and not just her nails. The screen is almost the same size and same clarity to me. I have yet to take a pic with the Hero to see the quailty compared to the Pre, and I do like the pics on the Pre. I do like Android and if i was to make a switch to another phone it would Android, had enough of WinMo.

I was tempted to switch to the Hero over my Pre, but when it comes down to it, I cant pull the trigger just yet. I really wanna see what comes out either in updates to the Pre or word of Pre2. I like the Hero but waiting to see if Dragon or Adonis come to Sprint. I can hold out another 2 months to decide. Both phones have their pros and cons, so its really a personal thing. Go play with both and then decide, im also holding off on anything Android on Sprint due to no one rooting it yet. Thats not to say that a root comes out tomorrow and breaks the Hero open, then I probably would jump ship, but I like the Pre.

Tuffgong4 10-22-2009 12:32 PM

I'm in the same position...Pre Vs Hero...My wife got her pre yesterday and it is sweet and the UI is intuitive.

My concern with the hero is that until more Android phones hit CDMA networks there will be customizing. Android 1.5 is I believe a highly hacked version for CDMA support. I'm also a little disappointed at the old hardware used in the hero...but the hero is full touchscreen (not qwerty hardware)...I love that...

I'm torn, I also don't believe the adonis is coming to sprint...I'm a doubting Thomas on that.

myltz400 10-26-2009 02:41 PM

I too am debating between the Pre and Hero, can anyone else comment on the call volume and quality between the two?

spiritcrusher33 10-26-2009 04:01 PM

while i dont have the hero.. i can comment on call volume and quality between the diamond and pre.. the pre wins hands down..though with that hack on the diamond u can make it louder..but stock vs stock the pre..

Carla 10-26-2009 04:07 PM

Even with that hack my call volume sucked on the Diamond unless I had bluetooth or the headset in. Speaker phone was also equally as bad. Pre wins hands down.

CozBoogie 10-26-2009 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlaDarla (Post 1266584)
Pre wins hands down.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts on the Pre!

late,
Coz

Carla 10-26-2009 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CozBoogie (Post 1266626)
Pretty much sums up my thoughts on the Pre!

late,
Coz

At least someone agrees with me!

nyczwillz 10-26-2009 08:18 PM

I had the Pre about 2 weeks (after release date) until now, Just switched to the HTC Hero.

I loved the Palm pre, and it operated great and the "cards" were great to use and made everything really easy and multitasking was extremely great. The HTC Hero and other phones probably can't multitask as well, but the HTC Hero does have some nice features. Especially having so many apps and also battery life is a lot better on the HTC Hero. My Palm Pre, I'd usually get half a day and HTC Hero about a day. All under heavy usage and frequent email checks on about 5 accounts.

Palm Pre - if you like getting things done fast and multitasking.
HTC Hero - if you like multimedia and more "fun" stuff.

I do find the HTC Hero on screen keyboard a bit hard to type on vs. lets say the iPhone. The Palm Pre's keyboard was excellent after a few days of getting use to it. I would prefer the Palm Pre, but battery life is most important to me. I need my phone to last at least a day under heavy use. If you get the Palm Pre, make sure to buy the 1350mah extended battery, its about the same size as the original one and gives you a bit more usage.

edit: whoops, i mean't I had it 2 weeks after release date until now.

cyberbrutus 10-26-2009 09:18 PM

absolute waste of money. its junk..ditched it and bought tp2.

Carla 10-26-2009 09:27 PM

Wow, that was a pretty detailed review of what you did and didn't like. "It's Junk" clearly states the defects. I think your negativity should remain in the realm of the TP2 forums where it is not only common, but standard.

Carla 10-26-2009 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyczwillz (Post 1267409)
I had the Pre about 2 weeks until now, Just switched to the HTC Hero.

I loved the Palm pre, and it operated great and the "cards" were great to use and made everything really easy and multitasking was extremely great. The HTC Hero and other phones probably can't multitask as well, but the HTC Hero does have some nice features. Especially having so many apps and also battery life is a lot better on the HTC Hero. My Palm Pre, I'd usually get half a day and HTC Hero about a day. All under heavy usage and frequent email checks on about 5 accounts.

Palm Pre - if you like getting things done fast and multitasking.
HTC Hero - if you like multimedia and more "fun" stuff.

I do find the HTC Hero on screen keyboard a bit hard to type on vs. lets say the iPhone. The Palm Pre's keyboard was excellent after a few days of getting use to it. I would prefer the Palm Pre, but battery life is most important to me. I need my phone to last at least a day under heavy use. If you get the Palm Pre, make sure to buy the 1350mah extended battery, its about the same size as the original one and gives you a bit more usage.

Good review :) I am going to look into the battery you mentioned.

mlin 10-26-2009 09:33 PM

For me, battery has not been an issue on my Pre. I simply shut off push email because I am around a computer for most of the day and I don't need it. I use my Pre as an MP3 player and listen to music (probably works out to 4 hours of music, maybe 5) at work. With some texting, calling, and wi-fi use, I usually get home with about 25-30% battery remianing after a 9 hour day.

spiritcrusher33 10-26-2009 09:34 PM

I would get that 1350 mah battery.. but the mugen 3800 mah battery is calling me now..so if my wife gets out of line i have a brick to throw at her.lol j/K

nyczwillz 10-26-2009 09:36 PM

yeah, I'm in college and also manage a part time business online. so I have my emails pushed to me, 2-3 accounts are on push and 2-3 are refresh every 30 minutes. But if I had a desk job or somewhere near a PC, it can definitely last me a day.

mlin 10-26-2009 09:39 PM

I'm in school and I work full-time in research. I just find that I don't get that many important emails that are so important that I need them pushed to my phone all day.

NinjaMom 10-28-2009 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlaDarla (Post 1267714)
Wow, that was a pretty detailed review of what you did and didn't like. "It's Junk" clearly states the defects. I think your negativity should remain in the realm of the TP2 forums where it is not only common, but standard.

You go Girl!

Carla 10-28-2009 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NinjaMom (Post 1273143)
You go Girl!

Thanks Ninja Mom!!