PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Palm Pre (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   is the pre worth it? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=91136)

dfve 10-20-2009 12:52 PM

Re: is the pre worth it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by fixxxer2008 (Post 1243881)
im due for an upgrade on nov 1st and ill be coming from a touch vogue. im not diggin winmo 6.5 at all. im torn between the htc hero and the pre. what do you guys think? is the pre worth it over android? ive played with the vogue/android builds and its much to unstable for me but i really like the look of it. the reason im torn on the pre is, i don't like the design and i hear there aren't very many themes or apps for it yet. i do know i can pick up a pre right now for cheaper than a hero.

any advice would be appreciated.

in a word, no, i had a pre- from the 1st day out as did my wife, i had mine replaced 4 times and hers twice due to cheap mfgr loved the phone, hated the hardware...had a touch pro previous to it, and a tp2 since
my opinion....life is better with the increased hardware reliability...but, the pre is slick...

codybear 10-20-2009 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlaDarla (Post 1243922)
I would say really play with both before you make the decision :) Good luck!

Same ideaology can be applied to women. :D:D:D:D:D

ivan1.ruiz 10-21-2009 07:04 PM

Im thinking of going to the TP2 but still deciding

M2Iceman 10-22-2009 12:16 AM

I've had the Pre since day 1 and havent had a problem with the phone. My wife just got the Hero so I have had some time to play with it. So here's my opinion.

I love the Pre, its one of the first phones I can say Im satisfied with. 100%, no but enough for me to keep the phone. I did feel Palm kinda short changed us with some of the basic functions of the Pre that were in other Palm phone, CCP, scrolling cursor, message forwarding etc. I left a fully hacked Diamond to the Pre so I had to be patient in what the Pre couldnt do. With homebrews, my pain was eased. Am I close to 100%, no and I probably never will be. I love the cards system and the ability to go back and forth without having to close things. I think the most cards I had open was 5 and I had to get info from each and it was nice to flip back and forth. The keyboard took a bit to get use to. After 5 months, Im typing faster than ever, even with medium fingers. Yes, the phone does feel cheap, but after a couple cases, I love the BodyGlove and it makes it feel better and like the way it looks. Love the Tether and use it alot. Having flashed my wifes and my Diamond, the Pre is alot easier to get into. The apps will get better and in time I cant wait to see what can be done. Overall the functions of the Pre cant be matched even in the Hero.

Now with the Hero, I think first off its a better build, it felt better in my hand and the material didnt feel cheap. I like the idea of the 7 screens and how you can add widgets to your liking. I loved going into the App store and seeing the volume they have. Some of the small things that got me were, Text forwarding and that included a picture with audio. I cant do that with the Pre, why, IDK. Copy Cut Paste was alot easier on the Hero, even on WEB PAGES. I like the calender better on the Hero, but they really do need to have more adjustments that can done. I didnt feel I could multitask as much as I have read as I could on the Pre. Call quality are the same, texting is better function wise on the Hero, although I like the keyboard, my wife in now getting use to having to use her fingers and not just her nails. The screen is almost the same size and same clarity to me. I have yet to take a pic with the Hero to see the quailty compared to the Pre, and I do like the pics on the Pre. I do like Android and if i was to make a switch to another phone it would Android, had enough of WinMo.

I was tempted to switch to the Hero over my Pre, but when it comes down to it, I cant pull the trigger just yet. I really wanna see what comes out either in updates to the Pre or word of Pre2. I like the Hero but waiting to see if Dragon or Adonis come to Sprint. I can hold out another 2 months to decide. Both phones have their pros and cons, so its really a personal thing. Go play with both and then decide, im also holding off on anything Android on Sprint due to no one rooting it yet. Thats not to say that a root comes out tomorrow and breaks the Hero open, then I probably would jump ship, but I like the Pre.

Tuffgong4 10-22-2009 12:32 PM

I'm in the same position...Pre Vs Hero...My wife got her pre yesterday and it is sweet and the UI is intuitive.

My concern with the hero is that until more Android phones hit CDMA networks there will be customizing. Android 1.5 is I believe a highly hacked version for CDMA support. I'm also a little disappointed at the old hardware used in the hero...but the hero is full touchscreen (not qwerty hardware)...I love that...

I'm torn, I also don't believe the adonis is coming to sprint...I'm a doubting Thomas on that.

myltz400 10-26-2009 02:41 PM

I too am debating between the Pre and Hero, can anyone else comment on the call volume and quality between the two?

spiritcrusher33 10-26-2009 04:01 PM

while i dont have the hero.. i can comment on call volume and quality between the diamond and pre.. the pre wins hands down..though with that hack on the diamond u can make it louder..but stock vs stock the pre..

Carla 10-26-2009 04:07 PM

Even with that hack my call volume sucked on the Diamond unless I had bluetooth or the headset in. Speaker phone was also equally as bad. Pre wins hands down.

CozBoogie 10-26-2009 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlaDarla (Post 1266584)
Pre wins hands down.

Pretty much sums up my thoughts on the Pre!

late,
Coz

Carla 10-26-2009 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CozBoogie (Post 1266626)
Pretty much sums up my thoughts on the Pre!

late,
Coz

At least someone agrees with me!