PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Palm Pre (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Retuning the pre and the Diamond (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=89907)

nykd007 10-10-2009 04:42 PM

Retuning the pre and the Diamond

As i have been a lurker more then a contributor I thought i owed something back. In Harvard form no less.

A. The Pre missing the mark. (I'm returning two of them)
Most of us here are looking for applications,serviceability,and durability.
1. The keyboard isn't just too small, it lacks tactile feel.ie, the buttons aren't responsive enough going down or coming up.
2. The access to the keyboard feels flimsy and is loose.
3. While the screen res is great, it is a bit on the small side.
4. The cost is equivalent to that of a net book. when is someone going to come out with a net book that has a built in radio?
5. Sprint and other providers lack the desire to go Open source as in the pre Palm started out on the good path but sprint shut that down! This is evident in their D.O.S. for tethering.
6. While the antenna is nice in size to accommodate reception, it causes polling errors in reaching out to the service. This is why it runs so hot!
B. The Diamond. This phone fails on so many levels.
1.Key board out right sucks!.
2. WiFI What wifi, they hasped it to the EVDO. Top speed is equal to jogging in the rain.
3. Screen size, I can't imagine reading anything on it other then contacts and phone numbers.
4.Keyboard, get a pencil ready for typing everything.
5. Reception is even hampered. The existing Antenna is so small it is almost non existent. They did this to save on battery. Just so happens that it polls constantly due to failure to connect.

I guess what I am really saying is that while everyone in entitled to their own opinion, I am conveying facts. Both these phones fall short of my expectations. Shouldn't R&D use bench marking to develop a baseline to production? I guess with Palm they started down the right track but then made the phone too small. We all want convenience in a comfortable package. perhaps these guys should look into the Ideal sizing first. Personally I don't pocket my phone, I belt hang it. While most people require easy access to their handset, I still use a Blue tooth for call.

afx 10-10-2009 09:54 PM

Re: Retuning the pre and the Diamond

1. Well I dont agree with anything you said about the pre besides maybe the radio issue regarding heat. Everything else is fixable and I feel the keyboard took some getting used too but now its super awesome and I can rock out on it even with sausage fingers.

2. I dont know how big of a screen your looking for if you think this one is too small.

3. I got mine for 180 on ebay new. And my netbook cant make phone calls. Thats like comparing a pre to a dishwasher.

4. I tether my phone just fine, also use it was a wifi router with no problems whatsoever

5. Preware makes home-brew easier than anything even without palm or sprint, home brew is just a given when it comes to a popular device.

As for the diamond. I agree, HTC screwed me over more times than I care to mention but one thing does bug me about your writeup on the diamond...It doesnt have a keyboard.

afx 10-10-2009 10:01 PM

One more thing, not to be a **** or anything but I HATE when people say

everyone is entitled to their opinion but my opinion isnt opinion, its FACTS.

neopanther 10-10-2009 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afx (Post 1228492)
1. Well I dont agree with anything you said about the pre besides maybe the radio issue regarding heat. Everything else is fixable and I feel the keyboard took some getting used too but now its super awesome and I can rock out on it even with sausage fingers.

2. I dont know how big of a screen your looking for if you think this one is too small.

3. I got mine for 180 on ebay new. And my netbook cant make phone calls. Thats like comparing a pre to a dishwasher.

4. I tether my phone just fine, also use it was a wifi router with no problems whatsoever

5. Preware makes home-brew easier than anything even without palm or sprint, home brew is just a given when it comes to a popular device.

As for the diamond. I agree, HTC screwed me over more times than I care to mention but one thing does bug me about your writeup on the diamond...It doesnt have a keyboard.

Hey. How'd you put the pics of your old phones like that?! That is cool! I want to do that.

afx 10-10-2009 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neopanther (Post 1228563)
Hey. How'd you put the pics of your old phones like that?! That is cool! I want to do that.

:lol:

I just googled the phones (I remembered model numbers) and put them into photoshop.

NinjaMom 10-11-2009 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nykd007 (Post 1228068)
I guess what I am really saying is that while everyone in entitled to their own opinion, I am conveying facts. Both these phones fall short of my expectations.

Your opinion has been noted... But it really is nothing than you opinion, not facts. They might be "facts" to "you" or "your expectations"...but in the end that really is your OPINION.

Machinehead 10-11-2009 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NinjaMom (Post 1229554)
Your opinion has been noted... But it really is nothing than you opinion, not facts. They might be "facts" to "you" or "your expectations"...but in the end that really is your OPINION.

Not the first time that someone has thought that their opinions were fact.

aceracer24 10-11-2009 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Machinehead (Post 1229894)
Not the first time that someone has thought that their opinions were fact.

And won't be the last I am sure lol.

afx 10-12-2009 12:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by aceracer24 (Post 1229928)
And won't be the last I am sure lol.

see attach

devren 10-12-2009 04:26 AM

I wish we had a thumbs down button or something similar.