PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Other Devices > WebOS > WebOS Devices > Palm Pre
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2009, 04:42 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Mogul
Carrier: sprint

nykd007 is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Retuning the pre and the Diamond

As i have been a lurker more then a contributor I thought i owed something back. In Harvard form no less.

A. The Pre missing the mark. (I'm returning two of them)
Most of us here are looking for applications,serviceability,and durability.
1. The keyboard isn't just too small, it lacks tactile feel.ie, the buttons aren't responsive enough going down or coming up.
2. The access to the keyboard feels flimsy and is loose.
3. While the screen res is great, it is a bit on the small side.
4. The cost is equivalent to that of a net book. when is someone going to come out with a net book that has a built in radio?
5. Sprint and other providers lack the desire to go Open source as in the pre Palm started out on the good path but sprint shut that down! This is evident in their D.O.S. for tethering.
6. While the antenna is nice in size to accommodate reception, it causes polling errors in reaching out to the service. This is why it runs so hot!
B. The Diamond. This phone fails on so many levels.
1.Key board out right sucks!.
2. WiFI What wifi, they hasped it to the EVDO. Top speed is equal to jogging in the rain.
3. Screen size, I can't imagine reading anything on it other then contacts and phone numbers.
4.Keyboard, get a pencil ready for typing everything.
5. Reception is even hampered. The existing Antenna is so small it is almost non existent. They did this to save on battery. Just so happens that it polls constantly due to failure to connect.

I guess what I am really saying is that while everyone in entitled to their own opinion, I am conveying facts. Both these phones fall short of my expectations. Shouldn't R&D use bench marking to develop a baseline to production? I guess with Palm they started down the right track but then made the phone too small. We all want convenience in a comfortable package. perhaps these guys should look into the Ideal sizing first. Personally I don't pocket my phone, I belt hang it. While most people require easy access to their handset, I still use a Blue tooth for call.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:54 PM
afx
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro (Sprint)
Carrier: Sprint

afx is keeping up the good workafx is keeping up the good work
Re: Retuning the pre and the Diamond

1. Well I dont agree with anything you said about the pre besides maybe the radio issue regarding heat. Everything else is fixable and I feel the keyboard took some getting used too but now its super awesome and I can rock out on it even with sausage fingers.

2. I dont know how big of a screen your looking for if you think this one is too small.

3. I got mine for 180 on ebay new. And my netbook cant make phone calls. Thats like comparing a pre to a dishwasher.

4. I tether my phone just fine, also use it was a wifi router with no problems whatsoever

5. Preware makes home-brew easier than anything even without palm or sprint, home brew is just a given when it comes to a popular device.

As for the diamond. I agree, HTC screwed me over more times than I care to mention but one thing does bug me about your writeup on the diamond...It doesnt have a keyboard.

This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:01 PM
afx
Regular 'Geeker

One more thing, not to be a **** or anything but I HATE when people say

everyone is entitled to their opinion but my opinion isnt opinion, its FACTS.
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4g
Carrier: The Now Network

neopanther is becoming a great contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by afx View Post
1. Well I dont agree with anything you said about the pre besides maybe the radio issue regarding heat. Everything else is fixable and I feel the keyboard took some getting used too but now its super awesome and I can rock out on it even with sausage fingers.

2. I dont know how big of a screen your looking for if you think this one is too small.

3. I got mine for 180 on ebay new. And my netbook cant make phone calls. Thats like comparing a pre to a dishwasher.

4. I tether my phone just fine, also use it was a wifi router with no problems whatsoever

5. Preware makes home-brew easier than anything even without palm or sprint, home brew is just a given when it comes to a popular device.

As for the diamond. I agree, HTC screwed me over more times than I care to mention but one thing does bug me about your writeup on the diamond...It doesnt have a keyboard.
Hey. How'd you put the pics of your old phones like that?! That is cool! I want to do that.
HTC Hero (There appears to be a theme here, huh?) Loving this website. Watching Sprint rebound one day at a time.
Old 10-10-2009, 11:38 PM
afx
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by neopanther View Post
Hey. How'd you put the pics of your old phones like that?! That is cool! I want to do that.

I just googled the phones (I remembered model numbers) and put them into photoshop.
Old 10-11-2009, 11:21 AM
The Admin-Ninja
Pocket PC: Note 2; Note 10.1

NinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykd007 View Post
I guess what I am really saying is that while everyone in entitled to their own opinion, I am conveying facts. Both these phones fall short of my expectations.
Your opinion has been noted... But it really is nothing than you opinion, not facts. They might be "facts" to "you" or "your expectations"...but in the end that really is your OPINION.
Earned my Brown Belt..."Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them: A desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill."
Muhammad Ali
Old 10-11-2009, 02:44 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro & Palm Pre

Machinehead knows their stuffMachinehead knows their stuffMachinehead knows their stuffMachinehead knows their stuffMachinehead knows their stuffMachinehead knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaMom View Post
Your opinion has been noted... But it really is nothing than you opinion, not facts. They might be "facts" to "you" or "your expectations"...but in the end that really is your OPINION.
Not the first time that someone has thought that their opinions were fact.
Old 10-11-2009, 03:08 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro, Palm Pre

aceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Not the first time that someone has thought that their opinions were fact.
And won't be the last I am sure lol.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:23 AM
afx
Regular 'Geeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceracer24 View Post
And won't be the last I am sure lol.
see attach
Attached Images
File Type: jpg factjackmag[1].jpg (32.7 KB, 28 views) Click for barcode!
Old 10-12-2009, 04:26 AM
N00b
Pocket PC: Palm pre

devren is a n00b
Send a message via Yahoo to devren Send a message via Skype™ to devren

I wish we had a thumbs down button or something similar.

PPCGeeks > Other Devices > WebOS > WebOS Devices > Palm Pre