PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Other Devices > WebOS > WebOS Devices > Palm Pre

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2009, 11:30 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: yo mama
Carrier: yo daddy

Exil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the communityExil3d is a trusted member of the community
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Jumping ship!

Well hello there! I am considering buying a Pre and abandon those cripple HTC devices. Pro2 was the last nail in their coffin! I am wondering how customizable is the Palm OS. Is it as near as customizable as WM? Can it be hacked ,tweaked and modded? And last question in which is the must important question, can it be activated in a SERO account?
Old 09-30-2009, 11:44 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint

Compusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuffCompusmurf knows their stuff
Send a message via ICQ to Compusmurf Send a message via AIM to Compusmurf Send a message via MSN to Compusmurf Send a message via Yahoo to Compusmurf
Re: Jumping ship!

I did. LOL I wanted the TP2 and when they raised the price and didn't REALLY include any real new features, I blew it off and went with the Pre.

The pre is NEW. Very nice, but you better expect growing pains. If you know linux at all and are willing to be daring, you can rip apart most of the OS looking for goodies and contribute to the growing list of hacks, apps, tweaks, etc.

About the SERO, I have no clue.

I can say 1 additional thing. Palm has had more updates to their OS in the last 3 months than Win Mo has had in like 3 years. At least Palm is taking it serious and trying....
Old 09-30-2009, 11:55 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: palm pre, touch pro 2
Carrier: sprint

IFMISM is keeping up the good workIFMISM is keeping up the good work

The pre is a wonderful device. It does multitasking like no other. unfortunately for me it did not fit my needs. it fell short on quite a few issues, but i am not here to bash this device. i will prolly get the 2nd version of it, but now i have to go back to wm for work purposes.
To those that have to pre and love it i can definetly understand why, but as a work device it falls short for now. but still a great device none the less
Old 10-01-2009, 12:06 AM
Just call me Dr. Doctor
Pocket PC: Nexus 6
Carrier: Bitch ass, big red

mlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIPmlin is a VIP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

I currently go back and forth between my Diamond and Pre, though lately I have spent more time with the Pre. It is a great device with a lot of developments and interest spurring from its infancy. As of now, I am so far impressed with the level of customization. More and more tweaks are popping up each day and precentral has officially opened a theme thread with a variety of custom themes to choose from, prethemer has even more. I've had a lot of fun with it so far, and its very stable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compusmurf View Post
I can say 1 additional thing. Palm has had more updates to their OS in the last 3 months than Win Mo has had in like 3 years. At least Palm is taking it serious and trying....
What do you honestly expect? There are now 2 proprietary devices running WebOS, both in their infancy. Updates are not only very necessary due to the lack of or poor implementation of certain features (ie cut, copy, and paste), but easy considering the low number of devices. Compare this to WinMo which is built for likely a hundred devices all with varying screen size, keypad configurations, touch screen vs non-touch screen, etc. Makes frequent updating on the behalf of Microsoft rather difficult.
Old 10-01-2009, 12:08 AM
acs tester
Pocket PC: diamond/tp1/tp2/MoFo/touch 4g
Carrier: ppcgeeks/sprint

darren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation leveldarren.wlsn1 can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via MSN to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Yahoo to darren.wlsn1 Send a message via Skype™ to darren.wlsn1

sero is a no go. http://www.prethinking.com/home/2009...-palm-pre.html
Old 10-01-2009, 10:47 AM
The Admin-Ninja
Pocket PC: Note 2; Note 10.1

NinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation levelNinjaMom can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

I am thinking the comment about the updates was a good one. Why wouldn't it be? Lack of updates with WM drove me nuts and even with the issues this new os has... They are minor to me.
Earned my Brown Belt..."Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them: A desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill."
Muhammad Ali
Old 10-01-2009, 11:38 AM
Coz-erator
Pocket PC: Sprint Galaxy Note 2 & other misc digital devices

CozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to CozBoogie Send a message via Yahoo to CozBoogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exil3d View Post
Well hello there! I am considering buying a Pre and abandon those cripple HTC devices. Pro2 was the last nail in their coffin! I am wondering how customizable is the Palm OS. Is it as near as customizable as WM? Can it be hacked ,tweaked and modded? And last question in which is the must important question, can it be activated in a SERO account?
No to SERO.

And yes, there are a lot of mods/tweaks available right now. As someone else stated if you know Linux then there's basically nothing you can't do.

Wanna change the skin of your on-screen keyboard...that ability comes prepackaged with the virtual keyboard.

Wanna change your boot logo (which on WM devices required copying a specific file to the right Windows location, etc.). With the Pre just hook the phone to your pc and using WebOS Quick Install you just select the files you want to use and everything else is done for you.

Wanna new theme for your Pre (icons, backgrounds, lock-screen, dialer, and more)? Currently there are 158 themes. Using Preware (on your phone...yes it's all OTA), you select the theme and it installs automatically. That's it! No putting .png files in the right folders, etc.

That's just some of the stuff that a casual user can do in a few minutes.

Drop that TP2 and check out the Pre.

late,
Coz
Old 10-02-2009, 12:54 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro, Palm Pre

aceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Exil3D,

Your antics and dislike for HTC products is legendary to say the least. To see you talking about jumping ship isn't a surprise. I had the Touch Pro and although I know there have been a number of issues with it, I still liked the customizations and the slide out keyboard. Enter Palm Pre.

I was originally going to get the TP2 but since Sprint refused to lower the price and match Verizons, I decided to get the Pre. This little phone is amazing. I found so many tasks difficult on the TP but the Pre makes many tasks very seamless and transparent right out of the box. Yes, it does have some issues.

If you disliked the battery on the TP you will absolutely hate it on the Pre. That said, it charges rather quickly. There are other minor and some annoying issues but so far nothing like I ever had on the TP. Now honestly, I am still trying to get used to the keyboard. I don't think I will ever like any other keyboard after using a TP.

Applications are abundant and most are very useful with several adding features that Palm has not. They are very easy to install. Customizing I don' think is yet to the same standards as a windows mobile phone. No custom roms and such but themes are pretty plentiful.

All in all, it's a very good phone with a ton of potential. Like any new phone, improvements are needed but Palm seems to be working towards making the webOS the best possible.

Sprint finally is matching Verizons price on the TP2 and I did get that ordered today. It should be here by Monday. But I have spent all day thinking about it and frankly, even though I think you come across as a whiner when it comes to HTC phones, you usually do say what I usually am thinking. I am thinking also that I may end up just sending the TP2 back when it arrives at my door. The Pre really is a great phone.

This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 10-02-2009, 02:17 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch PRO

tonymontana2367 is keeping up the good worktonymontana2367 is keeping up the good worktonymontana2367 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceracer24 View Post
Exil3D,

If you disliked the battery on the TP you will absolutely hate it on the Pre. That said, it charges rather quickly.

Mine's been fine. I'm usually running Pandora, sms, and web. You don't happen to be doing this to your phone are you? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUeHEFlPa6E
Old 10-02-2009, 09:49 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro, Palm Pre

aceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on repaceracer24 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymontana2367 View Post
Mine's been fine. I'm usually running Pandora, sms, and web. You don't happen to be doing this to your phone are you? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUeHEFlPa6E
I can't view the video from work so I am not sure what it is. That said, what I have noticed is that standby on the Pre is at least as good as what I could get on the TP and the TP has a larger capacity battery. At least on Sprint. The problem is any type of usage. On the TP, usage of any type drained the battery quickly but not like I have seen on the Pre. I have watched the Pre's battery drop by 2-3 % at a time.

I do think that the 1.2 update helped a little but it still drains quickly. Although you have to keep in mind, the battery on the Pre is smaller capacity than what is on the TP or TP2. There are larger capacity batteries but like other devices, larger batterys add more size overall to the phone.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Other Devices > WebOS > WebOS Devices > Palm Pre