PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Palm Pre (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Reception (phone radio) quality & strength on the Pre (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=87199)

Nagual 09-25-2009 03:40 PM

Reception (phone radio) quality & strength on the Pre

Hi Folks,

Relatively happy as I am with my Touch Pro I still consider the Pre sometimes.

But my chief concern with it is actually pretty mundane; because I have the bad fortune to live in a Sprint weak reception spot (despite coverage being excellent overall in my city) the wrong phone with the wrong radio capabilities could be very frustrating for me.

I fixed most of the issues on my TP by flashing to a Verizon radio; but with the Pre, this type of thing is impossible, or at least will be for a long time.

So I'd really appreciate some feedback from Pre users who live in areas with spottier coverage - how well does it:

1) receive calls when coverage is weak?
2) texts - do they arrive on time, or not at all in weak areas?
3) voicemails - are they similarly delayed or not received?

Thanks!

CozBoogie 09-25-2009 04:15 PM

Re: Reception (phone radio) quality & strength on the Pre

My office building is shielded with about 4 feet of aluminum foil (even standing next to the window doesn't help much). However, even with no bars I still get everything (text, incoming calls, etc.) without issue or delay.

One thing that might help is to call up Sprint and tell them your signal issues. If you play your cards right they may send you an Airave for use.

late,
Coz

jjday7 09-25-2009 05:24 PM

the radio on the pre does not perform good even in full coverage areas from my experience. I notice places where I would have full coverage that I don't now and the bars bounce around a lot. I am supposed to have full coverage in my apartment and even when it shows full coverage, it will bounce into 1x and sit there for 10 minutes.

Nagual 09-25-2009 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CozBoogie (Post 1193625)

One thing that might help is to call up Sprint and tell them your signal issues. If you play your cards right they may send you an Airave for use.

I was almost going to do the Airave gambit because of my TP troubles, but really would like to avoid the hassle if I can. It's pretty ridic- that if I move literally half a block from my residence reception jumps way up!

So, two widely varying reports. Thanks.

I think there must be many more opinions out there though - please do chime in!

NinjaMom 09-25-2009 10:44 PM

If you have TP radio signal issues then I wouldn't recommend the Pre right now. My pre is def weaker in signal strength. Stil have the TP though and can not see myself going back to it.

JuMpMaN6235 09-26-2009 08:05 AM

i would disagree.. i had the TP and its radio is horrid.. I have had so many calls go straight to my voicemail it was getting ridiculous... With my pre, it has not done this one time yet and i had it for about a month. Hands down, pre has much better radio

polo 09-26-2009 08:29 AM

hey guys do not get crazy about it THERE IS NO WAY THAT 2 IDENTICAL DEVICES (phone, PC, etc.) WORK THE SAME WAY so it is possible that what you fell terrible in a device another guy feel good.

NinjaMom 09-26-2009 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JuMpMaN6235 (Post 1194896)
i would disagree.. i had the TP and its radio is horrid.. I have had so many calls go straight to my voicemail it was getting ridiculous... With my pre, it has not done this one time yet and i had it for about a month. Hands down, pre has much better radio

It's nothing personal... So chillax. :)

I personally am having way more radio signal issues with the pre. I just love the rest of the pre so much that I am not willing to go back to the TP.

With the TP I didn't have to rely on wifi to access the internet on my phone at my house like I have to with the Pre. I can sit here and watch it go from full signal to not even roaming in 2 seconds flat. It is jumping all over the place while the tp holds signal at evdo with almost full strength.

JuMpMaN6235 09-26-2009 12:04 PM

I didnt take it personal.. only voicing my experience with TP.. so no need to chillax

NinjaMom 09-26-2009 02:49 PM

Chillax is my word for the day. LOL