PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Other Devices > WebOS > WebOS Devices > Palm Pre

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2009, 12:23 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Diamond, Palm Pre
Carrier: Sprint

alan7467 is keeping up the good workalan7467 is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Potential Pre twisting fix...

I love my Pre. WebOS is fantastic and I really like the design of the phone. However, as most of us have heard already the damn slider can make this phone feel cheap. Gap between the bottom and top of the phone and screen twisting really take away from the experience IMHO.

Anyway, I came upon this thread a long time ago talking about fixing this problem by tightening screws and using hot glue. Personally, I'm not too jazzed about using hot glue the way the OP intended. Then I noticed a post in the thread recommending a slightly different solution. Using stamps or tape under the top part of the phone:

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...88#post1863588

...I went ahead and used a half inch long piece of electrical tape under the bottom center part of the top of the phone. I put it on the keyboard sticky side up, closed the slider enough to cover it up then used a small flat head screwdriver to stick on the top part of the phone. I haven't touched the screws yet, but this fix in combination with my innocase has almost completely eliminated my screen twisting for the time being.
TouchPal Keyboard

Pre running... errr 1.1...
Old 09-03-2009, 04:20 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Vogue
Carrier: Money-theiving VZW

xd1936 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via ICQ to xd1936
Re: Potential Pre twisting fix...

Or just tell someone in a sprint store.

Old 09-03-2009, 05:16 PM
In the state of confusion
Pocket PC: EVO ONE(M7), Galaxy S4

sanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to sanmanc Send a message via MSN to sanmanc Send a message via Yahoo to sanmanc

I try to avoid anything that will void my warranty. Unless it involves flashing the ROM or modifying the OS.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:42 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Palm Pre

ayling68 is just getting started

This is my second phone and the sprint store just says its normal wear and tear i barely open my phone up and then they couldn't send me any more replacements because i've had too many but i sent all those diamonds back so i tried the piece of tape thought what could it hurt i can take it off anyway and it worked great
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:06 AM
Flat-Out-Addicted
Pocket PC: Nexus S 4G

syanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the community

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayling68 View Post
This is my second phone and the sprint store just says its normal wear and tear i barely open my phone up and then they couldn't send me any more replacements because i've had too many but i sent all those diamonds back so i tried the piece of tape thought what could it hurt i can take it off anyway and it worked great
I was told by a buddy at sprint, the main issue is that sprint doesn't replace pre's with refurbs (aka there are no refurbs), they pretty much just open up a new box for you. as for the diamond, you can get oodles of refurbs. Something tells me the Sprint Techs aren't as saavy as they should be. Then again, if you take the battery off and try to gander inside the device, you'll see that it is JAM PACKED with stuff! My guess is that it may not be as easy of a fix for the faint of heart.

If I helped ya or If you like my work, I don't want donations, I don't want coffee, but a simple THANKS
would do the trick!
Old 09-04-2009, 12:06 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Palm Pre

ayling68 is just getting started

I actually got a refurb pre that was worse than my first one just didn't have a dead pixel
Old 09-04-2009, 12:22 PM
Flat-Out-Addicted
Pocket PC: Nexus S 4G

syanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the communitysyanni85 is a trusted member of the community

really? wow... well, come to think of it i wasn't at a tech center. Maybe they don't replace with refurbs there... hmmm
Old 09-04-2009, 03:26 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Well, I tried the supposed screw "fix" and if anything it added a tiny bit of gap with my phone. So I wouldn't recommend that anyone try that.

On the other hand my electric tape fix is still holding up great. It's really hard to get the phone to twist at all with my innocase on. Feels so much more solid now
Old 09-04-2009, 03:27 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by xd1936 View Post
Or just tell someone in a sprint store.

I'm not sure what anyone at a Sprint store can do for this problem. Other than give you a new one that will be better at first then develop some form of twisting with use.

I should note that mine wasn't too bad (maybe 4mm twist), but enough to annoy me every time I picked up the phone.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:53 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Palm Prē

fr4nk1yn is keeping up the good workfr4nk1yn is keeping up the good workfr4nk1yn is keeping up the good work

Wish I checked here as often as I used to.

DO NOT MESS WITH THE SCREWS!!

The screws have NOTHING to do with the slider!!
It does however crack the plastic around the screen and allow light to bleed through.
I have photos posted somewhere but there's no home fix for a phone with twist.

If you have a lot of gap then hot glue may work for awhile but epoxy is a better solution.
It's smoother, for sliding, and won't wear as fast.

My 3rd Pre is a refurb that has a date newer than my 2nd.
Refurbs have been available for quite awhile, I think the first was reported in July.
It's not a bad thing either. Refurbs are supposedly checked twice before being boxed up where new ones are checked once.

To check your replacement phone dial ##786#
Radio: Sprint 1.11.00F
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Other Devices > WebOS > WebOS Devices > Palm Pre