PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Palm Pre (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Force Roam (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=79601)

smb20 08-15-2009 07:06 PM

Force Roam

Anyone able to force their Pre to roam? If so, how exactly? I'm a bit lost..

Fingers crossed!
- Josh

sanmanc 08-15-2009 10:36 PM

Re: Force Roam

Why would you want to force roaming?

thekarens 08-17-2009 10:04 PM

Go to Treocentral and search under the Pre forms for "forced roaming". You'll have to root your Pre first and then there's a hack for it.

I used forced roaming every day. When I walk into my office there is no Sprint signal so I have put my phone into forced roam so it doesn't bounce back and force and suck up my battery. Not to mention my phone isn't able to be used in the office without the forced roaming.

amart79196 09-08-2009 07:31 PM

Is there a way to make this a installable hack so that the option comes up in the menu under the phone preferences?

sanmanc 09-08-2009 10:08 PM

Wait for WebOS 1.2. It is rumored to have this option.

CountryDevil 09-10-2009 04:30 PM

Actaully, I dont think that the force roam option will be there in 1.2 due to Sprints crack dwon on roaming anyway. Just something that I heard may not be true.

However, there is an easier way to do this without rooting your phone if you dont feel all warm and comfy inside doing so. Just download webOS Install and the option is there under tweaks. But remember it is highly recommended to undo any tweak that you apply here or by any other means will need to be removed BEFORE you upgrade to 1.2 when it is released.

http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...k-install.html

NinjaMom 09-14-2009 06:01 PM

Works like a charm... :)

Question though... If you are on an Everything Data plan... Roaming data is covered, right?

CountryDevil 09-14-2009 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NinjaMom (Post 1165108)

Question though... If you are on an Everything Data plan... Roaming data is covered, right?

Sprint is not going to bawk as long as the minutes used are not more than about 70% in a given billing cycle. No, unlimied roaming is not included with the everything data plan. You can get unlimited raoming for an extra charge, but I do not know what that is.

I live in a rural and have to set my phone to hard raom from time to time pending on where I am. But I do limit how much I actualy use my phone, either data or voice, and if you do this it will keep you out of hot water with Sprint. I have been doing this for years and have not had any issues. The key to using the hard roam option is to know your coverage area and where you have a good Sprint signal and not.

Now we can going into the whole, "Sprint coverage sucks" thing, but you will have that issue with ANY and I do mean ANY provider. Not just Sprint. Now can I myself get better coverage where I live from a differnt proivder. Yep, you betcha!!! But I like Sprint the best out of all of them.

Nuff said!!

timw586 09-18-2009 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NinjaMom (Post 1165108)

Even with the "everything data" you still have a 5GB limit for in network data, and a 300MB limit for roaming data...Also if you start going crazy with roaming minutes, you'll receive that fun "excessive roaming" letter to either stop or they'll cancel you.

CountryDevil 09-18-2009 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timw586 (Post 1175468)
Even with the "everything data" you still have a 5GB limit for in network data, and a 300MB limit for roaming data...Also if you start going crazy with roaming minutes, you'll receive that fun "excessive roaming" letter to either stop or they'll cancel you.

Good point!!! I failed to mention that. Nice catch.