PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Palm Pre (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   I need some updated opinions on the PRE (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=76661)

jjday7 07-27-2009 11:19 PM

I need some updated opinions on the PRE

ok I know most of you know that best buy had the pre on sale for $99.00 due to the glitch. I called a store and got them to hold one for me till wednesday at that price. I know the girl so she did it for me.

My question is I have a diamond and it's doing it's job pretty good but I really don't want to miss out on the pre at that price. I have a hard time passing up a good deal

What I need to know is
1. what is your opinion on your pre if you have had it for a while?
2. if you could do it all over, would you have bought it?
3. are all these things like oreo twisting and bugs happening to everyone?4. why are best buy reps telling me they are getting tons of returns?
5. do you guys think a update will come to enable video?

I just need a little insight because I have to switch from SERO to get this phone so I really don't want to get stuck with a higher costing plan and a phone I don't like.

Any help would be appreciated.

drift365 07-27-2009 11:49 PM

Re: I need some updated opinions on the PRE

I dont have one, but from what ive hear/seen, it is simply amazing. If i could have gotten one instead of my iphone, i think that i would have. Yes, the oreo twisting happens to many of them, but if you call palm usually they send you a new one. There should be a thread about oreo twisting here somewhere.

Cheers and good luck,

Matt

drift365 07-28-2009 12:04 AM

heres some more info: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...highlight=oreo

this one has a LOT of info: http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread...highlight=oreo

Peteman100 07-28-2009 02:42 AM

I just got one and I love it! My whole family has switched over. There are some defects since its such a new phone, but that's what the BB 30-day return policy is for. If yours has issues, just swap it out for a new one later. And most analysts have pegged the return rate somewhere around 3%, which is quite good for a brand new smartphone. Go to a store and play with it for a while. If you can deal with the smallish keyboard and you are they type of user who can deal with so-so battery life, you really won't be disappointed!

MikeElGiga23 07-28-2009 12:26 PM

As an ex senior admin in another ppc site I know exactly what I left and what I got into, but to answer your questions...

1. I have had it for a few days and i love everything about it. The look and feel as well as how well it does everything

2. I ca*me from a touch pro and, yes I'd do it over

3. I saw a lot of complaints about these issues that worried me, but I saw that later batches came with better and more solid build quality. I specifically asked for the last ones they received to ensure that. And its rock solid btw.

4.Best but must be suffering from the poor quality of the first batches so make sure you get the latest build date to avoid issues

5. Yes and not over two years like apple. Palm and the developer community really do work, they already have terthering, root (jailbreaking) and even homescreen widgets on the homescreen, not to mention more homebrewed apps than the appstore atm

BenC 07-28-2009 01:17 PM

Factors to consider not mentioned above: the absence of device based business related applications. No word processing, no spread sheet and a few other deficiencies. What you should consider doing is making a list of what you want to accomplish with a device and then go from there. There is the Classic application from Motion Apps; however, it does not support multitaskking (i.e., you cannot have two Classic cards open at the same time). Due to a lack of device based business applications and the inability of Classic to support more than one card at a time, the Pre is not ready for my use.

drift365 07-28-2009 01:39 PM

i have owned several palm devices and i loved them. Palm is great with support and the number of 3rd party apps is amazing.

jjday7 07-28-2009 01:39 PM

first thanks for the input guys. I find myself using my phone more for web and multimedia use overall. the business aspect would be great to have but I hardly ever use word or excel unless someone sends me that type of document

I have had a lot of phones and notice all new phones to the market are loaded with small issues. I can live with most but hardware issues top the list in frustrations. I had the touch when it first came out and went through 3 of those, touch pro 4, diamond 1 and most stable. maybe I was lucky with that one.

at 100 it might just be worth it. I might just get the best buy coverage for 9.99 and that covers everything accept lost and stolen. I have one more day to think so please keep giving input. this will not only help me but all the others trying to make the decision.

maybe I am just spoiled by windows and all the apps available. I hope the app store starts moving pretty fast.

drift365 07-28-2009 01:40 PM

There is a word processing program for palm. I believe that it is documents to go, but im not sure. It also has excel and powerpoint.

sanmanc 07-28-2009 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjday7 (Post 1065123)
maybe I am just spoiled by windows and all the apps available. I hope the app store starts moving pretty fast.

I don't mean to repeat it but WebOS is still in its infancy and more and more homebrew apps are popping out almost everyday. The app store I'm sure will have hundreds of apps by this time next year.

I have had my Pre 4 days after launch day and I don't regret it one bit. I have used WinMo the Treo 650 and still use it today for work but for personal I dropped my Treo 800 in favor of the Pre. The only gripe I have is the poor reception I tend to get at home.

As for the word processing portion it does come with DocsToGo but you can only view documents and not edit them. No biggie for me since that's all I need when I'm mobile.

For $99 its well worth it IMHO.