PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Palm Pre (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Palm Pre, what's the fuss? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=75253)

Alksion 07-18-2009 08:12 PM

Palm Pre, what's the fuss?

Okay I had the palm pre for one hour before I returned it for the touch pro, this was coming from a mogul. I could explain all the things I didnt like but I dont want to waist your time. Sp this is my question, my brother has the palm pre and raves that it is so much better. I try to explain to him how there is no custom roms and no community of developer. His argument is if you make a good OS, there is no need to improve. So how can I best explain to him what this community is really about and why having a locked down phone sucks. Some good advice would be really appreaciated!

MikeElGiga23 07-18-2009 08:29 PM

Re: Palm Pre, what's the fuss?

have you been on precentral.net? its just as big if not bigger than pcgeeks and its just as hackable as any WM device. what you need to understand is that WM is a more mature OS due to the fact that it has been around for so long so obviously there is more hacks, roms, suport ATM unlike the Pre which has been out for like a month and a half. but in that small time they have already enabled tethering, multiple hacks like web downloading, rooted (jailbroken) the OS, and have cooked up more than 30 homebrewed apps already (not counting the ones in the appstore) So it has been growing in a rapid pace so far for the little time it has been out. The Pre has a very nice OS with a nice crisp screen, gesture bar, nice camera, and a lot of promise, but its understandible if you like the Pro better cuz its still a 1.0 OS but IMO it will sure catch up

Alksion 07-19-2009 04:17 AM

Okay that's not entirely what I was looking for, I was looking for something that I could tell him that could shut him up, he is like an iphone user with a palm pre and its annoying.

Alksion 07-31-2009 05:34 AM

Okay so I guess this means I stay quiet?

breakmyfootoff 07-31-2009 06:51 AM

I think one of the main reasons you're not getting a lot of support yet is the phone is too new for a lot of people to really give an informed opinion on it. I'd love to give you some ammo to use lol, unfortunately I just dont know much about the pre yet and havent really used one. Personal customization is a huge reason for liking the winmo platform though. If you sign a 2 year contract for a phone that doesnt have much potential for customization then it gets pretty old, (at least to me it does). With winmo I can have what feels like a totally different device everyday if I want. I can have an android phone today, switch to an iphone interface tomorrow, winmo 6.5 the day after, or 6.1 and have several different interfaces like M2d, Point UI, the new M2D just released, and so on a so forth. I bet it's not long before there's an interface that mimics the palm pre as well. Why would you want to lock yourself down to just one when you can have them all?

imneveral0ne 08-01-2009 04:02 AM

why not just let your brother be happy with his new phone?

TheBundo 08-01-2009 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by imneveral0ne (Post 1074710)
why not just let your brother be happy with his new phone?

Amen. Reading the TP2 (Rhodium) forum on XDA has me thinking twice about that phone to replace my Mogul. At least 1 or 2 guys are on their 4th one already due to bugs and hardware issues

sanmanc 08-01-2009 01:39 PM

I've had a my Pre for almost two months and, unfortunately, you won't get much support from me either. I'm still in the honeymoon phase with my Pre and am taking my daughter to get her's today for her birthday.

MikeElGiga23 08-01-2009 02:00 PM

Question. What is the point if this thread? To find reasons to convince someone that the pre isn't better than the touch pro? I find this childish since the pre is a fantastic device. The touch pro is good but not for the people that wants it to 'just work' including 100+ apps and counting in homebrewed for the pre already. Its all about taste so I agree with imneveral0ne saying to just let him be happy with it and move on

imneveral0ne 08-01-2009 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike20pr (Post 1075232)
Question. What is the point if this thread? To find reasons to convince someone that the pre isn't better than the touch pro? I find this childish since the pre is a fantastic device. The touch pro is good but not for the people that wants it to 'just work' including 100+ apps and counting in homebrewed for the pre already. Its all about taste so I agree with hibby saying to just let him be happy with it and move on

I'm hibby? o.O lol