PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Other Devices > WebOS > WebOS Devices > Palm Pre

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2009, 12:45 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2
Carrier: Sprint/Verizon

JimathyIII is a n00b
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Videos on Pre

So, I have a question. I have not been able to find a way to get videos on my Pre. You know, videos that you download from the web or burn from a dvd, etc. Every time I put in on the phone (using the usb method) it's not there on the phone. I've used Movavi to convert it, but that didn't work. If anyone knows how to convert a movie to work (or where to get videos that work without conversion) I would much appreciate it.

Okay, I didn't actually put that in the form of a question.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:23 PM
In the state of confusion
Pocket PC: EVO ONE(M7), Galaxy S4
Carrier: Sprint

sanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to sanmanc Send a message via MSN to sanmanc Send a message via Yahoo to sanmanc
Re: Videos on Pre

Try using Handbrake. Here are some instructions. I've been using it and it works great.

This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 07-19-2009, 05:05 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2, Palm Pre, HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint "Simply Everything"

tx_dbs_tx is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartx_dbs_tx is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartx_dbs_tx is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartx_dbs_tx is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

First off let me say that without a doubt the Palm Pre has the best video player that I have ever seen on a mobile phone. Now as far as I know the Palm Pre supports mp4 encoded videos. I have done minimal testing on my Pre and can confirm that it will not recognize or play any avi , divx, mpg, or wmv video files. Ofcourse that can easily change in the future. So for now convert all your videos to mp4 format in 480X320 screen resolution and paste them onto your Pre using "mass storage" mode. You can also create a "videos" folder including subfolders and the Pre will automatically find them. That's a very nice feature. Also I will confirm that that this powerhouse Palm Pre can easily handle mp4 videos at 30 fps and the maximum bps that your converting software can produce. You will get absolutely NO skipping or dropped frames in the video playbac whatsoever!!! SWEEET! Full length dvd rips play flawlessly on the new Palm Pre like no other device. I personally use Aplus conversion software because it's excellent quality and very fast conversion time. It's not free but it's very affordable and well worth it. Go check out tomp4.com and see all the super nice software convertors they offer. Hey everybody say GOODBYE to wimpy low resolution 15fps videos!!!!! We can now have the max fps with perfectly flawless 30fps or higher videos on our new Palm Pre!!! This phone has a LOT in store for us in the near future, mark my word. Happy video playing everybody!!!

Sent from my Palm Pre.... Hey and not nearly as many typos as my HTC Touch Pro!!

Last edited by tx_dbs_tx; 07-19-2009 at 05:42 AM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-19-2009, 10:39 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Palm Pre

rocket321 is a n00b

Following the links from Sanmanc I just encoded a full DVD rip which came out at only 481MB. Copied it over to the Pre, opened video's > hit play > working perfectly. At the 450kbps bitrate it looks super crisp on this screen - not showing any artifacts or anything I usually see on Divx/xvid files. The movie I did was "Superbad" (because I already had the vob files on my HDD) which doesn't have much action/fast motion so ymmv.

Thanks for the tips on getting this going, now in handbrake I can just select the Palm Pre settings and convert stuff in no time.

I figure I'll put a couple movies on there for whenever I get bored or to show off the Pre, and maybe a Disney movie to keep the little one busy. You can never underestimate the value of having something to entertain a child at just the right time
Old 07-20-2009, 03:18 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2, Palm Pre, HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint "Simply Everything"

tx_dbs_tx is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartx_dbs_tx is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartx_dbs_tx is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartx_dbs_tx is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

That's right. Mabe you need to find some Disney movies and or cartoons to throw on your Pre. Animated videos always turn out awesome looking on a mobile device. If you getting great video quality with the lower 450kpbs conversion, try a much higher conversion and you will see the Pre handles it perfectly. Ofcourse the dvd rip needs to be of high quality or straight from the vob files as you mentioned in order to keep the quality good. I'm hoping that Palm will add more video codec support in the future but for now mp4 is still a very good quality video file. I also really like the ability to pause the movie and minimize it to a card and multitask till eternity and go back and resume the movie instantly with not a single instance of delay or frame skipping. Wow this thing literally smokes the iPhone by far!!! The Palm Pre is the BEST multitasking pda hands down.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:42 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Diamond

rkw6182 is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimathyIII View Post
So, I have a question. I have not been able to find a way to get videos on my Pre. You know, videos that you download from the web or burn from a dvd, etc. Every time I put in on the phone (using the usb method) it's not there on the phone. I've used Movavi to convert it, but that didn't work. If anyone knows how to convert a movie to work (or where to get videos that work without conversion) I would much appreciate it.

Okay, I didn't actually put that in the form of a question.
Use iTunes
Old 08-23-2009, 10:39 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond

bridic is keeping up the good workbridic is keeping up the good work

I use a free program called Super (http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html).
It will convert just about anything format to any format.
Just connect the pre as USB and copy and drag.
They do not have to be in any folder.

Here is my set-up:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Super.jpg (299.9 KB, 17 views) Click for barcode!

PPCGeeks > Other Devices > WebOS > WebOS Devices > Palm Pre