PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Other Devices > WebOS > WebOS Devices > Palm Pre
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2009, 03:31 PM
VIP & Proud Member of CBM
Pocket PC: Touch Pro 2-Sprint, HTC Evo Fully Rooted-Sprint
Carrier: Sprint Nextel

nxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on repnxtech3 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Overheating and battery life.

Got this from a friend, had bad battery life and overheating issues, he reflashed and hasnt had as many issues. My pre does get hot, battery life was decent, but i figured what the hey, and sure enough i dont get the overheating, and battery lasts about two hours longer than previous (rough estimate) If anyone else has done this, please post if your device improved, stayed the same, or got worse. Here are the steps

The complaint of low battery life and device getting hot could be caused from an issue in either a download (app or music file) or, more commonly, a software update. If a customer has this issue, reflashing the ROM will likely resolve the issue.

1. Download and install the WebOS Doctor Tool from www.palm.com/ROM
2. Make sure that the customers device has been updated to their Palm User Profile (this will backup everything except Media Files).
3. Set device in "Boot Mode".
- Pull battery from device
- Plug device into a charger and
and press the volume up key
- After the device displays a ?
symbol reinsert the battery
- Symbol should change to USB
symbol
- Plug device into computer and follow the commands for the WebOS Doctor Tool.

EDIT- The device might sit at the palm screen for about ten minutes, thanks Vertigo, so dont panic.

4. After the device has reset, the customer will need to log into their Palm User Profile using the log ins created when the device was firsy activated.

I will also note that my device is set up on an Exchange Server and once I logged into my Palm User Profile I did not need to set it up again. However, I would suggest any user that is on an Exchange Server contact their IT department to be sure everything is set up correct after this process.

"I pity tha fool... that don't press !"

Last edited by nxtech3; 07-20-2009 at 01:56 PM.
This post has been thanked 3 times.
Old 07-12-2009, 03:44 PM
In the state of confusion
Pocket PC: EVO ONE(M7), Galaxy S4
Carrier: Sprint

sanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to sanmanc Send a message via MSN to sanmanc Send a message via Yahoo to sanmanc
Re: Overheating and battery life.

Good info. Thanks.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:32 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

nuzzle is just getting started

Man, I hear all these "issues" with the Palm Pre... I am so glad I don't have any of them. My battery is a beast compared to my TP, and I was on the phone for a good 45mins, and didnt get hot. Nothing like what the TP did.
Old 07-12-2009, 09:18 PM
The Voice of Reason
Pocket PC: PPC 6700/Touch Diamond/Touch Pro

Big D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on repBig D5 is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Great info OP thread added to the FAQ
“It is from numberless diverse acts of courage and belief that human history is shaped. Each time a man stands up for an ideal, or acts to improve the lot of others, or strikes out against injustice, he sends forth a tiny ripple of hope.”

Robert Kennedy

Ha y'all come visit me at WMExperts some time.
Old 07-12-2009, 10:01 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC TouchPro2 CDMA
Carrier: Alltel (Verizon)

codybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIPcodybear is a VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuzzle View Post
Man, I hear all these "issues" with the Palm Pre...
haha. That's another reason I didn't get the pre,
I try to never buy a first gen phone when possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D5 View Post
Great info OP thread added to the FAQ
Agreed. Really good post OP.
I personally can't wait for a few different WebOS phones to come out
as I personally don't really like the pre due to personal preferences.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:46 AM
PPCGeeks Regular

nuzzle is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by codybear View Post
haha. That's another reason I didn't get the pre,
I try to never buy a first gen phone when possible.
Like I said... I have zero issues with my Pre... I got it like 3 weeks after it was released. I dunno if I am lucky, or if other people just beat the hell outta their phones... But whatever it is, the Pre is much more solid of a phone then my Pro.
One thing I'll say, when the Pro was in my pocket...I knew it was there. It was like a lead weight.
With the pre, I gotta keep chceking it. LoL Its like having a nokia in my pocket. So light yet such a powerful machine.
Old 07-19-2009, 06:52 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2, Palm Pre, HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint "Simply Everything"

tx_dbs_tx is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartx_dbs_tx is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartx_dbs_tx is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartx_dbs_tx is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I agree with the above post. This Palm Pre is a powerhouse! I can rip dvd's and convert them to the highest bps with 30fps and it plays flawlessly wit no dropped frames and no lag whatsoever. The Touch Pro can't match that. I love my TP but honestly I'm not missing it or the stylus. The touchscreen on this Pre is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better and the Pre has ZERO lag!!! Say goodbye to lag whoever gets the new Palm Pre, You know you're gonna miss that... NOT!!! Now back to the battery life and overheating... I notice MUCH better battery life and the only time I get battery heat is while tethered for a long time and heavy data use while tethered. No complaints here.

By the way I typed this on my Pre using the webos browser viewing the full website and The keyboard is not as bad as people say. I've gotten used to it and it's quite fast and again ZERO lag with the keyboard whatsoever. TP has keyboard lag. Also portrait to landscape and back works beautifully and instantly with ZERO lag as well. This is getting funny, but you get my point. I was never a Palm fan but I have reconsidered now.

Last edited by tx_dbs_tx; 07-19-2009 at 07:10 AM.
Old 07-20-2009, 01:23 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Evo 3D

Vertigo is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVertigo is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVertigo is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVertigo is becoming a PPCGeeks regularVertigo is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

I tried this but after 3% its shows an error "Cannot reset device" , also something the OP forgot to say for those not familiar with the PRE reset, it take 10 min for the device to finish, so you will see the Palm logo for 10 straight min. Don't panic!

=)

Old 07-23-2009, 03:26 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Mogul

ViPaDawG is just getting started

I've got it showing the USB sign, but webos Doctor won't let me click next when it tells me to plug it in to the computer.

I'm using Windows 7 currently. Could that be why?

EDIT: Yeah, it was Windows 7. I tried it on an XP machine, and it worked fine on the first go.

As for the better battery claims and less heat, I am still testing, so I will post updates as necessary.

Last edited by ViPaDawG; 07-23-2009 at 04:01 PM.
Old 07-31-2009, 01:57 AM
Regular 'Geeker

nyczwillz is keeping up the good worknyczwillz is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to nyczwillz

yeah, please let us know. I'm contemplating whether or not to do this.

maybe someone can answer this for me...what does the Palm Profile backup? Does it back up all my contacts, all my email login information and accounts? Photos? Wallpaper? texts? whatelse and what doesn't it save? I just hate to go through setting my Pre back to the way I like it.

Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Other Devices > WebOS > WebOS Devices > Palm Pre