PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Other Devices > WebOS > WebOS Devices > Palm Pre

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2009, 04:48 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2, Palm Pre, HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint "Simply Everything"

tx_dbs_tx is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartx_dbs_tx is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartx_dbs_tx is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartx_dbs_tx is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation Tethering-slow data/ping speeds all of a sudden!!!

I am posting this in the Palm Pre section because that's my current device and my issue is with my Palm Pre...
I have been tethering with my Palm Pre (which is a RevA device) via usb for a few weeks and now all of a sudden my data speeds are total crap! I have been testing at mobilespeedtest.com & speedtest.net everyday. I was getting anywhere from 2mbps to 5+mbps and now it gets at best 1mbps but most always around .55mbps. My ping was typically between 60 something to 160 something and now it's WAAAAAY higher at at least 200 to 300. This happened after I updated WebOs to 1.1.0 which may have nothing to do with it. I'm thinking that the new Sprint "5gb data cap" could be the cause of this. I'm thinking maybe Sprint decreased the bandwidth or something because it's rediculously slow now. I obviously can't call Sprint on this issue so what I would like to know is if anybody else has noticed a big decrease in their data speeds while tethered via usb. Please post any results and comments you may have on this because I'm about to make a big decision wether to stay or leave Sprint if this is in fact the reason for my data being so slow now.

Last edited by tx_dbs_tx; 08-01-2009 at 09:49 PM.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:58 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

tx_dbs_tx is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartx_dbs_tx is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartx_dbs_tx is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartx_dbs_tx is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Re: Tethering-slow data/ping speeds all of a sudden!!!

Still no responses? Will any of you interested in knowing if your data bandwidth has but cut in half go to mobilespeedtest.com and post back with your average data speed? I know my bandwidth has been cut in half if not more.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:37 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Hero
Carrier: Sprint

asapelectric is keeping up the good workasapelectric is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_dbs_tx View Post
Still no responses? Will any of you interested in knowing if your data bandwidth has but cut in half go to mobilespeedtest.com and post back with your average data speed? I know my bandwidth has been cut in half if not more.
I came in @ avg. 1.6 mbps just on phone, not tethering.
Old 08-02-2009, 12:45 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Thanks for the reply, are you able to tether your phone via usb?
Old 08-02-2009, 02:53 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Hero

asapelectric is keeping up the good workasapelectric is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_dbs_tx View Post
Thanks for the reply, are you able to tether your phone via usb?
No, I don't tether anything now. My laptop is down for a while.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:51 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Palm Treo Pro, Palm Pre

K & M Computers is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to K & M Computers

officially you are not suppost to be able to tether. Just be glad they havent figured out.
Old 08-04-2009, 03:31 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by K & M Computers View Post
officially you are not suppost to be able to tether. Just be glad they havent figured out.
Yes you are right about that. I do realize this and yes I am thankful. I am also thankful of the work of others that make these "unofficial" features work. I an not an ungrateful by no means, I am simply needing some input from others on this other than morality lessons etc.

I called Sprint to complain about my slow data connection with my phones browser and they did some tweaks and provisioning on their end and also tested the tower that I use at home. The tech support rep said the tower is working within it's parameters and they see no problems. Well after all this I got a very slight increase in data speed but not much. I still feel like the bandwidth has been chocked down and ofcourse that's totally within Sprint's right to do since my current connection speed is within their specs. I was VERY lucky to be getting the data speeds I had previously... Which ranged from a minimum of 2mbps up to 5+mbps. Now Ilm down to a crawl with only 1 to 1.5mbps. I'm sad now...LOL
Old 08-04-2009, 03:48 AM
WP Heavy Rot Sloth
Pocket PC: Mogul, Touch Pro 1&2, Evo, PhotonQ

shaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIPshaggylive is still contributing even after becoming a VIP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

the only reason you could have possibly had legitimate speed that high would have been due sprint not wanting ANY complaints with thier flagship phone. esp since it's web based.
(kinda like how m$ vista pages are faster than the XP pages)
due to the nature of cdma data you download is actually a broadcast stream with certain time slots allotted to your connection. it's possible they bumped the priority for the pre's temporarily. otherwise it was a bad test. (burst speed)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EVDO
Old 08-04-2009, 01:16 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Palm Treo Pro, Palm Pre

K & M Computers is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to K & M Computers

it also could have something to do with the congestion on the network. more users = less bandwidth
Old 08-04-2009, 08:33 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: touch pro

cjmedina is keeping up the good workcjmedina is keeping up the good work

im still getting decent speeds tethering to my acer aspire above the 1 mbps range

[/U]
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Other Devices > WebOS > WebOS Devices > Palm Pre