PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Other Devices > WebOS > WebOS Devices > Palm Pre
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2009, 01:09 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: palm pre/htc tp
Carrier: sprint

dfve is just getting started
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: 4 and counting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viral View Post
So you assume that because you have had no problems that everyone else should have no problems? If I do buy a new car and a week later it pulls to the right, does that mean I should keep it and hope for the best? My phone shifts to the right almost 1/8", is that proper design? The one I did get that was solid and did not slide had about 4-5 dead pixels, is that also my fault because I wanted a phone with a fully visable screen? "If you wanted to see the whole screen you should have bought an Instinct" FYI, I know what direction the phone is meant to open in, umm up. I do not try to slide it, I push it up, but the phone "slides" to the right and sticks some before it opens. But I guess because you all assume I am sitting here with a glass of milk waiting to twist my phone in half and eat it, it must be my fault.
I bet you could figure out a way to pick fly**** outta the pepper too
Old 07-16-2009, 02:11 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

scoobdude is just getting started

wow. a legit complaint turns into a flame war. WAY TO GO.

Now back on topic.

If your car door did not close right because the sheet metal was not molded right cause of poor quality control.. would you be happy? You have a warranty for a reason, and there is a line where things are not acceptable...especailly when the damn demo works better than mine.

I also have the same oreo affect and am not happy with it. On my 3rd pre as well. first on was perfect, but that one got stuck on the boot screen so i had to take it back. next one has an oreo, but the flash drive got corrupt. 3rd one (also has oreo) is not making me happy.

what i can see causes the oreo gap is the side with the speaker is not bent right. I can squeeze it together ever so gently and it will catch the nub between the 2 pieces and get rid of the oreo affect. But have not found a way to keep those 2 pieces together.

So yes i have the oreo and my first one did not have it. Yes i had a touch pro and mogul and am familiar with sliders. Yes i had a palm treo 650 and wife has a centro.

But honestly does any of this give you the right to start a flame war? no as you have no basis in a legitimate argument for some of these comments.

However you are still entitles to your oppinion by the constitution and can express freely. But do not be hurt when people ignore you......

<deep breath>........<sigh>

Last edited by scoobdude; 07-16-2009 at 02:13 PM.
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 07-16-2009, 04:37 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Htc Evo

MrDeeds is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobdude View Post
wow. a legit complaint turns into a flame war. WAY TO GO.
Flame war is excessive for what went on in this thread more like a pillow fight.

4 phones is a statistical anomaly, at a certain point its either the product is no good or the product is never going to live up to the standards of the consumer.

He wasn't "flamed" for getting bad phones or not liking the quality of the phones but because there was nothing any of us could do for him about it.

What kind of suggestions could we have made to help him in this situation. His problem is subjective. A big deal to some and nonexistent to others. I can understand a post ranting about how the pre has shoddy fit and finish but whining that your on your fourth phone and your still not happy is like dousing yourself with the lighter fluid.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:54 AM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTV EEVVVOOOOO, and a BB tour
Carrier: sprint..and umm...PPCGEEKZ!!

Success100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to Success100 Send a message via Yahoo to Success100

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDeeds View Post
Flame war is excessive for what went on in this thread more like a pillow fight.

4 phones is a statistical anomaly, at a certain point its either the product is no good or the product is never going to live up to the standards of the consumer.
exactly. and in this case, i dont think a pre is right for a guy who likes to horizontally twist a mechanism thats only intended to slide up

ALL HAIL SUCCESS100!!! lol!
Old 07-17-2009, 01:07 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro

scoobdude is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDeeds View Post

He wasn't "flamed" for getting bad phones or not liking the quality of the phones but because there was nothing any of us could do for him about it.

What kind of suggestions could we have made to help him in this situation. His problem is subjective. A big deal to some and nonexistent to others. I can understand a post ranting about how the pre has shoddy fit and finish but whining that your on your fourth phone and your still not happy is like dousing yourself with the lighter fluid.

The reason why some complain and others do not is due to the build quality. When a car rolls out of the factory they should all be the same. but as we all know there usually is a "bad batch". And like i said, my first one did not have this problem while my 2nd and 3rd do.

From the wasy this thread has gone however, people just say the phone is not right for you, or it cant happen that many times, or you are spoiled for reason x y and z.

Now in all fairness I did not offer a solution either since people have already said the same i would have: continue what he is doing to find one with a satisfactory build quality or just wait till they get their QA under control and buy it then.

Now in regards to the problem being subjective, i have to disagree. again if your door closed, but was sagging on your car or truck woudl you complain? The door keeps out the weather, but when closed it rattles? in the car case you cannot return it after 72 hours in some states, but you can take it back to get it "repaired". Now this is not an option for the cases we are seeing. Mostly cause its about 1/30th of the price and cannot as of now be fixed by "repair centers".

However, my point still remains, he just like you have a right to an oppinion. But i see alot of the comments unnecessary and pure "subjective" speculation. I am only trying to say that I have the same problem and to me its not subjective. It actually hinders pushing the power button with how far it slides over.

And i do not wish to give up on WebOS.
Old 07-19-2009, 07:41 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2, Palm Pre, HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint "Simply Everything"

tx_dbs_tx is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartx_dbs_tx is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartx_dbs_tx is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartx_dbs_tx is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

TRUE... But there is also acceptable and un acceptable flaws in a phone's physical slide function. For what a person pays for a high end phone like this it needs to fall into the acceptable category. And some people don't know the difference between normal acceptable imperfections and flat out obvious slack or play in the slide that is considered unacceptable. I also agree that out of all the exchanges they were not all defective in the slide mechanism unless he got into a bad batch which is not very common. To OP... The Pre is not a precision built space craft or highly suffisticated piece of machined alloy, it's made of plastics/resins, etc so please keep that in mind and accept a slight amount of play in the slider. If your phones have what YOU think is unacceptable play in the slider then by all means exchange it. I will say that my Pre's slider drags more than I like when using my thumbs to slide it open. But I do understand that by design it is not meant to be slid open that way by pressing from the lower bottom section. Y ou need to use the "palm" of your hand over the center of the top face to slide the phone open. You will find it MUCH smoother when centering the force in the middle of the phone rather than concentrating the pressure in and up from the lower section when using your thumbs. Try that and enjoy your new Palm Pre.
Old 07-19-2009, 08:10 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro 2, Palm Pre, HTC EVO
Carrier: Sprint "Simply Everything"

tx_dbs_tx is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartx_dbs_tx is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartx_dbs_tx is becoming a PPCGeeks regulartx_dbs_tx is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Nobody is going to convince me or any of us normal reasonable people that the slider is twisting excessively causing it to not slide up smoothly if you are in fact using it properly and you haven't already intentionally forced or damaged the phone. This is caused by user error and or refusal to slide it up the proper way from the center with a straight upward motion. A phone twisting with a 1/8th inch side overlap would NOT make it past a blind QC inspector PERIOD. Somebody buy the whiners some tissue and close this thread.

Last edited by tx_dbs_tx; 07-22-2009 at 03:43 AM.
Old 07-19-2009, 01:22 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: palm pre/htc tp
Carrier: sprint

dfve is just getting started

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_dbs_tx View Post
Nobody is going to convince me or any of us normal reasonable people that the slider is twisting excessively causing it to not slide up smoothly if you are in fact using it properly and you haven't already intentionally forced or damaged the phone. This is caused by user error and or refusal to slide it up the proper way from the center with a straight upward motion. A phone twisting awith a 1/8th inch side overlap would NOT make it past a blind QC inspector PERIOD. Somebody buy the whiners some tissue and close this thread.
maybe he should switch to fig newtons
Old 07-20-2009, 10:30 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTV EEVVVOOOOO, and a BB tour
Carrier: sprint..and umm...PPCGEEKZ!!

Success100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on repSuccess100 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to Success100 Send a message via Yahoo to Success100

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_dbs_tx View Post
The Pre is not a precision built space craft or highly suffisticated piece of machined alloy, it's made of plastics/resins, etc so please keep that in mind and accept a slight amount of play in the slider.
EXACTLY!!!!!!!!! close this thread!!!
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Other Devices > WebOS > WebOS Devices > Palm Pre