PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Other Devices > WebOS > WebOS Devices > Palm Pre
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2009, 09:58 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Palm Pre/Touch Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

scrambler7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularscrambler7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularscrambler7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularscrambler7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: WebOS 1.0.4 just released

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREY.FOXX View Post
So let me get this straight, before this update I could of said I'm sending you this cool homebrew app to your e-mail, download it straight to the Pre. When that person download it, I could of hack there Pre if I actually reeled them in with the BS Homebrew app and sent something to mess up there Pre?

If so I can see why they did it, to prevent potential hackers but then again the bad side is we would like that feature for some 3rd party stuff.
exactly. and if it was actually a file that the pre didn't recognize, e.g. a rar file, apparently it would throw your phone into a constant loop which would cause you to have to pull the battery. this issue is probably the same reason why you can't download anything from the web browser yet. it should be an easy fix, i.e. they should just code the pre to accept any unknown file as a standalone file that can only be opened by a suitable viewing program. any other files, e.g. exectuables, would simply remain a dormant file downloaded as is and only transferrable via usb.
Old 07-02-2009, 10:15 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Mogul --> Touch Pro(Running PhantomRom)
Carrier: Sprint

GREY.FOXX is keeping up the good workGREY.FOXX is keeping up the good workGREY.FOXX is keeping up the good work
Send a message via MSN to GREY.FOXX Send a message via Skype™ to GREY.FOXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambler7 View Post
exactly. and if it was actually a file that the pre didn't recognize, e.g. a rar file, apparently it would throw your phone into a constant loop which would cause you to have to pull the battery. this issue is probably the same reason why you can't download anything from the web browser yet. it should be an easy fix, i.e. they should just code the pre to accept any unknown file as a standalone file that can only be opened by a suitable viewing program. any other files, e.g. exectuables, would simply remain a dormant file downloaded as is and only transferrable via usb.
Agree, they should come up with a secured way. I'm sure they will, people will complain and force them to. Well I hope people complain lol.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:25 PM
Halfway to VIP Status
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Carrier: Alltel

bruceo knows their stuffbruceo knows their stuffbruceo knows their stuffbruceo knows their stuffbruceo knows their stuffbruceo knows their stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybonz View Post
If they had, at the same time, released a method to install apps, other than one that financially benefitted Palm, I would be fine with it.
Why would they release something that didnt financially benefit them?
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Other Devices > WebOS > WebOS Devices > Palm Pre