PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Other Devices > WebOS > WebOS Devices > Palm Pre
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2009, 10:54 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

Drybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
3 major problems for the Pre

Well, the newness has worn off. I'm still really enjoying the device. I have, however, seen 3 major issues emerge as I have read over the Pre news and forums. Here they are, as I see it...

1. Delay in the SDK release. This means no 3rd party apps until the fall at the earliest.

2. No new official apps in a week. They really need to keep their momentum going with new apps to show people what the device can offer.

3. Hardware defects. There are several serious hardware defects that have emerged... not present in all units, but with it being so difficult to score a replacement right now, the 30 day trial period may actually not be enough for people who are having to do multiple replacements to get a good unit (like me).

Just wanted to throw this out on the table for discussion. No fanboys, please... objective comments only.

Thanks.
Old 06-21-2009, 12:23 AM
In the state of confusion
Pocket PC: EVO ONE(M7), Galaxy S4

sanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to sanmanc Send a message via MSN to sanmanc Send a message via Yahoo to sanmanc
Re: 3 major problems for the Pre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybonz View Post
1. Delay in the SDK release. This means no 3rd party apps until the fall at the earliest.

2. No new official apps in a week. They really need to keep their momentum going with new apps to show people what the device can offer.
+1 on these two. I know this is a new device with a new OS but Palm should have seen the popluarity of this device coming. This is a great phone but as of now I can't do alot of the cool things that I could do on my WinMo phone and I can't show it off to ppl I know with iPhones because they have way more apps than we do.

I can't say anything for you hardware issues because I've been lucky enought not to have issues.

Old 06-21-2009, 12:46 AM
MikeElGiga23

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

lack of apps are killing the momentum unfortunatlly, they need to do something about this
Old 06-21-2009, 12:05 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Mogul --> Touch Pro(Running PhantomRom)

GREY.FOXX is keeping up the good workGREY.FOXX is keeping up the good workGREY.FOXX is keeping up the good work
Send a message via MSN to GREY.FOXX Send a message via Skype™ to GREY.FOXX

Its problem is Apps and the SDK kit. I still think things will get better, because I remember my friend when he first got his IPhone (1G) apps was very limited.

About the hardware problems, that usual always happens with a first time roll out, but they need to get the defectives out.

Great points bro
Old 06-21-2009, 12:57 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Palm Pre/Touch Diamond

scrambler7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularscrambler7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularscrambler7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularscrambler7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREY.FOXX View Post
Its problem is Apps and the SDK kit. I still think things will get better, because I remember my friend when he first got his IPhone (1G) apps was very limited.

About the hardware problems, that usual always happens with a first time roll out, but they need to get the defectives out.

Great points bro
well, apple took a year to release its sdk. i think the iphone was released in june 07 and then the sdk hit july 08.

it's hard for me to hate on them too much considering the fact that this is the very first OS of its kind. it has to start somewhere and i think what they have out is a decent start. does anyone know how many apps were available at launch for any of the other major OSes?

with that being said, for something that's supposed to be relatively open source, you would hope that the sdk would have been released immediately. the whole secrecy thing preceding launch seems to be continuing. i would think that since it's already out, they would release the floodgates instead of letting things trickle out.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:10 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Threadstarter

Drybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Well, I don't think anyone is hating on them... but you have to consider the rapidly shrinking life span of these devices. My Diamond didn't go a year before it had a replacement model... and with each generation of devices that lifespan gets shorter and shorter as the competition in the market rises.

So, basically, if we don't get an SDK until later in the year, that very well may be half the life span of this device. That's a problem.

We can't keep comparing everything to the first gen iPhone. That device is ancient history.
Old 06-21-2009, 02:44 PM
In the state of confusion
Pocket PC: EVO ONE(M7), Galaxy S4

sanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on repsanmanc is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Send a message via AIM to sanmanc Send a message via MSN to sanmanc Send a message via Yahoo to sanmanc

Quote:
So, basically, if we don't get an SDK until later in the year, that very well may be half the life span of this device. That's a problem.
Excellent point. The SDK I think should have been released the first week of the device release. Palm needs to realise that although they appear to have a great device they need the third party apps made available to catch up with Apple.
Old 06-21-2009, 03:34 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Palm Pre/Touch Diamond

scrambler7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularscrambler7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularscrambler7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularscrambler7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Well, I don't think anyone is hating on them... but you have to consider the rapidly shrinking life span of these devices. My Diamond didn't go a year before it had a replacement model... and with each generation of devices that lifespan gets shorter and shorter as the competition in the market rises.

We can't keep comparing everything to the first gen iPhone. That device is ancient history.
i personally would like to see the sdk out ASAP, or rather, at launch, but the business reality of it is that Palm is likely delaying the SDK to generate more interest for the second wave of buyers. the early adopters are going to do it for the new tech, excitement, buzz, etc. but after that initial frenzy is done, they likely want a backup plan to build excitement which would be the release of the sdk.

but who knows, maybe palm has a less capitalistic reason. maybe they just want to refine the OS as much as possible and work out any kinks before letting the device get blown up with apps. coming from WM and garnetOS, certain apps did not play nice with the phone. maybe they're just trying to regulate things so as to avoid any harrowing missteps?

but again, with all that being said, i want the sdk out now. i'm sick and tired (even though it's just been a week, haha) of reading hacks that will require me to root the phone because, hey, i'm lazy and don't want to do it. if they can just get an installer going (which it looks like the homebrewers are working on), i think that will help quell some of my app anxiety.

as for comparing to the iphone, i just brought it up because of the person i quoted. but i still wonder about the availability of apps for all major OSes in their first incarnation. i'm sure android had a sizeable amount, but i couldn't find any real data to show how many were available at launch/after one month. anyone here used to have a g1?
Old 06-21-2009, 03:55 PM
i like turtles
Pocket PC: Fascinate (Galaxy S)
Carrier: Verizon

chronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIPchronster is a VIP

I tried out the pre today for about 25 minutes at the sprint store and I gotta say, its a lot smaller than I imagined! lol

A few things I noticed that I didn't like were things that had to do with general navigation. I guess if I owned one, I'd get used to it. When I would bring up the main menu er whatever by dragging my thumb from the bottom upward, it would always open the keyboard slightly. Maybe the display model was getting worn out, but it seems like they need a stronger spring there.

Also, I couldn't get the camera to work for some reason.

All in all, I think I'll stick with my touch pro, but if I still had my Instinct, I'd take this over that any day.

Old 06-21-2009, 04:14 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: palm pre
Carrier: sprint

cell128 is a n00b

One of my biggest let downs on the pre is that you can't download files wit the web browser. My old diamond did this with ease. Im not dying to download stuff ota but I do miss it. Also a file explorer.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Other Devices > WebOS > WebOS Devices > Palm Pre