PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Other Devices > WebOS > WebOS Devices > Palm Pre
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2009, 05:28 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

Biker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on repBiker1 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: 3 major problems for the Pre

I took a look at the PalmPre at the Sprint store the other day just to see it, as I am not interested in a physical keyboard.
Seemed like a nice device but from what I am reading, it appears that the owners of these new devices will be integral in getting it off the ground regarding tweaking, applications, etc. etc.
But the question is whether people have the time to develop this device and OS from ground zero especially when the manufacturer and carrier are holding things up at the moment.
I have only had my Diamond since October and it was my first PPC.
I am sure it took a lot of time and effort to get to the point where WinMo devices are where they are now and there is still alot to do.
It appears that many customers will have to have alot of patience regarding Palm and Sprint. But that is the way it is with things that are new but as was mentioned before, things move fast in the PPC environment of today.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:35 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Threadstarter

Drybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambler7 View Post
i personally would like to see the sdk out ASAP, or rather, at launch, but the business reality of it is that Palm is likely delaying the SDK to generate more interest for the second wave of buyers. the early adopters are going to do it for the new tech, excitement, buzz, etc. but after that initial frenzy is done, they likely want a backup plan to build excitement which would be the release of the sdk.
Nah... nothing like that. Notice the timing of the device coming out just a couple weeks before the new iPhone. The whole cell market is a race... and they pushed this phone out to beat the new iPhone. That's why the SDK wasn't ready, the phone is video capable, but it won't be in place until there is an update for it... etc.

They gain nothing by not having these features ready at launch, except bad exposure... but Sprint gains everything by pushing a hot new phone out before the new iPhone... specifically, warm bodies in contracts.
Old 06-21-2009, 05:45 PM
VIP Droid
Pocket PC: Sprint HTC EVO 3D

Genjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuffGenjinaro knows their stuff
Send a message via Skype™ to Genjinaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by cell128 View Post
One of my biggest let downs on the pre is that you can't download files wit the web browser. My old diamond did this with ease. Im not dying to download stuff ota but I do miss it. Also a file explorer.
Yeah, this holds high for me above all else. I do download more frequently now online from my Diamond and I'm in Resco Explorer faithfully.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:42 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Palm Pre

MrNolan is just getting started

Well i love the phone but the hardware is a tad on the fragile side. I let my GF play with the phone and she twisted the front face trying to slide out the keyboard sideways like the touch pro. Now my front face has a couple millimeters of play in the clockwise direction.

I still love the phone.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:42 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: htc pro 2
Carrier: cricKet

alex_bl is a n00b
Send a message via MSN to alex_bl

i think it's too earlier say that pre has - or +. We need time ti find out. I have Touch pro and i love it.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:40 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Palm Pre/Touch Diamond

scrambler7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularscrambler7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularscrambler7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularscrambler7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybonz View Post
Nah... nothing like that. Notice the timing of the device coming out just a couple weeks before the new iPhone. The whole cell market is a race... and they pushed this phone out to beat the new iPhone. That's why the SDK wasn't ready, the phone is video capable, but it won't be in place until there is an update for it... etc.

They gain nothing by not having these features ready at launch, except bad exposure... but Sprint gains everything by pushing a hot new phone out before the new iPhone... specifically, warm bodies in contracts.
well, i figured they would push the launch of the device to beat the iphone, but it looks like the SDK is ready to go. all of the developers who have had it seem to praise it, saying that it's dead simple to write for and a great platform. seems to me that it's probably ready for a wider spread release. just looking at the preliminary hack work seems to point to a superbly organized system. the good thing is that palm seems to be working closely with these homebrewers, so maybe that will help speed up a public sdk.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:46 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Palm Pre

defamed01 is keeping up the good workdefamed01 is keeping up the good work

A delayed SDK kit isn't that big a deal since it's only another couple of months (hopefully), but didn't they hand out about 1,000 beta SDK kits? At the very least we should be seeing at least an app a week.

A few software issues I would like to see resolved soon are not being able to forward text messages, not being able to download from the browser (which is a shame considering how fantastic the page rendering is), and not being able to copy text that isn't editable or a URL. Those are the main ones for me.

The hardware issue is kind of a big thing too. You tend to expect defects when you're an early adopter for any device, but the fact that there is a shortage in Pres makes this a problem. It reminds me of the Wii (but on a smaller scale), when there was such a huge shortage and a high demand when it first came out. I don't remember reports of defective hardware on the Wii, though. Of course, Nintendo is a much bigger company than Palm, and more than likely have a much larger quality control department than Palm.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:48 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Palm Pre baby!

z28marols1 is keeping up the good workz28marols1 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by defamed01 View Post
It reminds me of the Wii (but on a smaller scale), when there was such a huge shortage and a high demand when it first came out. I don't remember reports of defective hardware on the Wii, though. Of course, Nintendo is a much bigger company than Palm, and more than likely have a much larger quality control department than Palm.
I happen to work for the blue and yellow electronics retailer... it was a problem with the Wii. "Oh, you happen to have gotten a defective one? Well, we may have another in about 2 weeks. Check back with us."

Honestly, right now thats about the only thing keeping me from going to a sprint store and getting the pre.... I mean going to a sprint store and getting on the waiting list for a pre. Altho with how badly my TP is pissing me off im about to just deal with it and hope i dont get a defective unit.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:30 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Mogul --> Touch Pro(Running PhantomRom)

GREY.FOXX is keeping up the good workGREY.FOXX is keeping up the good workGREY.FOXX is keeping up the good work
Send a message via MSN to GREY.FOXX Send a message via Skype™ to GREY.FOXX

Hope the SDK gets released soon, beta members are praising it.

Well they are going to be releasing it to thousands of developers throughout the weeks, so thats good.

From Palms blog:

Quote:
Our goal is to make the SDK available to everyone by the end of this summer, and to get there in stages:

Beginning immediately, we’ll accelerate the growth of the early access program, expanding as quickly as resources allow. Over the next few weeks, the program will grow from hundreds to thousands of developers.

Simultaneously, we’ll begin publishing more content outside the early access program, and we’ll launch new confidentiality rules that will allow early Mojo developers to communicate more freely with the rest of the world.

As soon as we can, we’ll open the SDK to all legitimate requests.

Last edited by GREY.FOXX; 06-22-2009 at 12:20 PM.
Old 06-22-2009, 02:56 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: HTC EVO

Troyicus is just getting started

Well so far my biggest gripe is the keyboard stinks. Unless I am doing something wrong, it seems the only way to text is to use the little keyboard that is underneath. I have the touch pro and the keyboard is phenomenal for texting. I have big hands and it is very tedious now to text. Now unless it has a feature like the instinct where you have your keyboard on the screen this phone will be going back.

Also it seems there are some software issues with the phone synching with servers that have security settings. I dont mind this so much as I know it is a new phone but I find it strange they can not get it to work when the same concept works on the Treo Pro and Palm Centro.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Other Devices > WebOS > WebOS Devices > Palm Pre