PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Other Devices > WebOS > WebOS Devices > Palm Pre
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2009, 12:12 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

Drybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Thinking About Making Move to Pre instead of TP2 Help me Decide

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozboogie View Post
A lot of you know that my wife and I have been out of contract since October/November. We went and look at the Pre last weekend...she wants one and I'm still on the fence. Right now I'm still leaning towards the TP2. Maybe we'll get one of each....but more dicussion on this matter is certainly needed.
Either one is going to be a good choice, I'm sure. Just curious, Coz... what factors are swaying you one way or the other?
Old 06-16-2009, 12:31 PM
Coz-erator
Pocket PC: Sprint Galaxy Note 2 & other misc digital devices

CozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to CozBoogie Send a message via Yahoo to CozBoogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybonz View Post
Either one is going to be a good choice, I'm sure. Just curious, Coz... what factors are swaying you one way or the other?
Here's where I'm at:

1. Screen size (the TP2 has a killer screen...while the Pre has great colors and clarity).

2. Device size (do I really need to carry around a Netbook-sized phone)

3. UI/OS (I've used WM for years....this is a pro and a con...something new might be nice).

4. Out-of-the-box funtionality (while the original TP seemed to need a lot of tweaking out-of-the-box, everything I've read/seen seems to indicate that the Pre works great out-of-the-box. Will the TP2 need heavy tweaking out-of-the-box?)

5. Tweakability (Obviously with different ROM's, etc., WM is insanely tweakable. Though I'm confident that over time the Pre will attain some measure of tweakable-ness I'm not sure what that time curve looks like).

6. Keyboard (I love having a hard keyboard...do I need a small one or a large one?)

7. Sound quality (more of a network issue...but from what I've read the Pre sounds good for calls, etc.).

8. Hardware buttons (while both phones offer a full QWERTY keyboard at least the TP2 has a couple more buttons on the face...not so with the Pre)

9. Third Party Software (obvioulsy WM/TP2 lead in this catagory...but for how long?)

10. Build quality (which slider wears out sooner? Which screen will crack sooner?)

11. Resistive vs. Capacitive....toss up.

Those are just a few thoughts off the top of my head...

late,
Coz
Old 06-16-2009, 12:39 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond

Drybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
8. Hardware buttons (while both phones offer a full QWERTY keyboard at least the TP2 has a couple more buttons on the face...not so with the Pre)

9. Third Party Software (obvioulsy WM/TP2 lead in this catagory...but for how long?)

Those are all good things to consider. Sounds like you should wait until you get some hands on with the TP2 (which by the way, my cousin whose aunt knows a guy she works with that knows a manager at a Sprint store told me it is coming out this month). I can tell you that...

8. The Pre only has one hardware button on the face that can basically be compared to the "home" key on a WM device. It does not have "talk" or "end" keys on the face.

9. The Pre will get good apps over time but it will never have a chance of catching up with the years of development WM already has under its belt.

11. OMGZ! Capacitive!
Old 06-16-2009, 12:42 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

Yibrushn is keeping up the good workYibrushn is keeping up the good workYibrushn is keeping up the good work

I've been using winmo since the first ipaq came out, my wife got the pre and the out of the box experience is AMAZING. On my TP I have like 5 browsers installed and non come close to the pre browser. the phone just feels like greased lightning. the UI is VERY smooth. There are a few hickups but they are few and very far between. Winmo fights you every step of the way to get stuff accomplished while the pre holds your hand and pushed you along. I do miss a couple of the apps I have on the TP but if i were up for the upgrade i think i would switch in a heartbeat.
(my mini rant sorry)
Old 06-16-2009, 12:49 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Palm Pre

ldostang is keeping up the good workldostang is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Here's where I'm at:

1. Screen size (the TP2 has a killer screen...while the Pre has great colors and clarity).

2. Device size (do I really need to carry around a Netbook-sized phone)

3. UI/OS (I've used WM for years....this is a pro and a con...something new might be nice).

4. Out-of-the-box funtionality (while the original TP seemed to need a lot of tweaking out-of-the-box, everything I've read/seen seems to indicate that the Pre works great out-of-the-box. Will the TP2 need heavy tweaking out-of-the-box?)

5. Tweakability (Obviously with different ROM's, etc., WM is insanely tweakable. Though I'm confident that over time the Pre will attain some measure of tweakable-ness I'm not sure what that time curve looks like).

6. Keyboard (I love having a hard keyboard...do I need a small one or a large one?)

7. Sound quality (more of a network issue...but from what I've read the Pre sounds good for calls, etc.).

10. Build quality (which slider wears out sooner? Which screen will crack sooner?)

late,
Coz
this are just my opinions/thoughts on some of your items that made me prefer the pre. but this is just me.

no. 1 and no. 2 are one an the same for me. yeah the tp2 has a bigger screen but makes the phone that much bigger. i like to slide the phone in my pocket at times, especially when wearing shorts and a bigger phone seems more uncomfortable.

no. 3 - ive been using win mo also for a while. and really im tired of it. i know its highly customizable but ive been customizing it for the longest time to make it the way i like it. but am never satisfied. to tell you the truth i havent flashed a new rom in over two weeks because frankly im tired of it. i was even thinking of getting an iphone because i was tired of win mo.

no 6. - havent had a hardware keyboard since my ppc6700 (years ago). i did test it out for a few minutes and seemed a bit small but could type fine with it. would like an onscreen keyboard which im sure a software update will fix this or somebody will come up with one.

no 8. - i used the end button on my diamond to end calls all the time. will probably need to get used to the pre on this, but really dont care much about it.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:12 PM
Almost a VIP

Donatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to Donatom3 Send a message via MSN to Donatom3 Send a message via Yahoo to Donatom3

Use the pre at a store. Remember the TP2 is better hardware but it's still windows mobile. WebOS sold me. No way am I going back to Windows Mobile until it's had a major overhaul.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:20 PM
BIGGZZ - VIP -
Pocket PC: Dell Streak
Carrier: AT&T

Biggzz is halfway to VIP status based on repBiggzz is halfway to VIP status based on repBiggzz is halfway to VIP status based on repBiggzz is halfway to VIP status based on repBiggzz is halfway to VIP status based on repBiggzz is halfway to VIP status based on repBiggzz is halfway to VIP status based on repBiggzz is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenukem View Post
Hey guys,
Truly considering moving to a pre from my TP. Was thinking about wating for the TP2... but the Pre just seems so awesome. Tell me what are your greatest annoyances with it and what truly sells it as your phone for some time to come? Also, what are your biggest annoyances with leaving Windows Mobile.
Having to have a Simply Everything Plan should do it.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:30 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Touch Pro
Threadstarter

davenukem is just getting started

Keep it coming, i'm leaning toward the Pre more than ever now... Even coz seems to have the Pre in mind (even if he is still reluctant i feel he is fearful like me of leaving something he knows already)
Old 06-16-2009, 01:33 PM
Almost a VIP

Donatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to Donatom3 Send a message via MSN to Donatom3 Send a message via Yahoo to Donatom3

Come to the darkside WebOS really is that good.
Old 06-16-2009, 01:51 PM
MikeElGiga23

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

1. the Pre has a faster processor than the Pro2 (600mhz) with proper gfx drivers and without the WVGA screen to suck resources and slow it down thust theorically running circles around the Pro2 in performance, did you see how great it ran Doom in 3d?? =D>

2. The OS has been hacked to the root so customizing will defenetly come and with a passion (time will tell)

3. capacitive screen...... beautiful, radiant, and multitouch. no comparison

Coz wants this, but he doesnt want to announce it yet lol.....
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Other Devices > WebOS > WebOS Devices > Palm Pre