PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Other Devices > WebOS > WebOS Devices > Palm Pre
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2009, 07:12 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: HTC Diamond
Carrier: Sprint

Drybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributions
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Firmware update?

I really am not a huge fan of the site I am linking to, because they report on a lot of speculation... but for what it is worth...

http://www.precentral.net/pre-firmware-update-two-weeks

Video recording? Sounds great but I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:24 PM
Coz-erator
Pocket PC: Sprint Galaxy Note 2 & other misc digital devices

CozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to CozBoogie Send a message via Yahoo to CozBoogie
Re: Firmware update?

That would be setting the bar pretty high in terms of Sprint/Palm being able to maintain such service in the future....but you never know.

late,
Coz
Old 06-16-2009, 09:05 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Palm Pre/Touch Diamond

scrambler7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularscrambler7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularscrambler7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularscrambler7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

well, with the OTA updates and the fact that webOS by all accounts is extremely well organized, I don't doubt that little updates can be pushed pieces at a time. looking at the root of the device, to-do notes by the programmers are littered throughout the code.

as for video recording, with as fast as the camera takes a picture, i would think it would be able to handle vga at 30 fps easily. i heard that the reason why it takes pictures so fast is because it sends the processing to the background and let's you take another picture quickly, but even with that, the exposure time is so quick that video recording should be a cinch. actually, someone at the precentral site already hacked their camera to video record, but i think it was at something like 10FPS, so not very functional but a great sign of potential.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:09 PM
MikeElGiga23

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

video recording and tethering is there, the codes were present when they hacked the OS so its just a matter of time till they enable it.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:46 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Drybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributionsDrybonz should be added to the payroll for their contributions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike20pr View Post
video recording and tethering is there, the codes were present when they hacked the OS so its just a matter of time till they enable it.
Werd.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:07 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC Hero

fatboypup is keeping up the good workfatboypup is keeping up the good workfatboypup is keeping up the good work

this might be the turn around point for sprint being a viable carrier ...... doubtful but it would be nice
Old 06-16-2009, 10:17 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboypup View Post
this might be the turn around point for sprint being a viable carrier ...... doubtful but it would be nice
Their only current advantage, as far as this device is concerned, is exclusivity. If you read thru some of the launch horror stories you get the impression that they just keep blowing it... over and over and over.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:22 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

scrambler7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularscrambler7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularscrambler7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularscrambler7 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboypup View Post
not trying to start an argument, but i don't think phones make a carrier viable. it really has to start with network and then build from there. sprint used to be the cool carrier with the cool devices. they seemed to get caught up in that game and the network suffered (or maybe it just couldn't handle the growing amount of customers). as network suffered, calls to customer service likely shot up which in turn probably led to the poor customer service for which sprint is known (rightfully so or not). high customer service call volume probably led to the best people not wanting to work there because, well, if you're overworked and people are yelling at you, why would you want to stay? call centers typically have high turnover and a hostile work environment is just going to make it worse. sprint luckily seemed to get the hint and seems to have upgraded the network. 5 years ago, sprint apparently got no service in my area. i never had sprint, so i can't personally attest to the network quality. but fast forward 5 years to today, and i get perfect coverage and faster data speeds then pretty much any of my friends on other networks.

anyway, long story short, i don't think sprint gets a fair shake. i have zero problems with them as a carrier and i think the people that do have problems with them are likely to exaggerate them because, well, that's the cool thing to do. they are probably more likely to excuse another network for those same problems, chalking it up to a fluke or an annoyance, whereas with sprint it turns into a diatribe.

oh why did i spend that much time typing all of that up.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:30 PM
VIP Member
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambler7 View Post
anyway, long story short, i don't think sprint gets a fair shake. i have zero problems with them as a carrier and i think the people that do have problems with them are likely to exaggerate them because, well, that's the cool thing to do. they are probably more likely to excuse another network for those same problems, chalking it up to a fluke or an annoyance, whereas with sprint it turns into a diatribe.
I worked as a manager in a customer service call center for about 6 years. From the personal experiences I have had with Sprint, and from things I have read, I can tell you that they are a customer service nightmare.

That being said... the other carriers are worse... Verizon being the absolute a-hole of the customer service universe, wireless and beyond (again from personal experience and my room mates are Verizon reps, and agree with me on this).

Wireless carriers are all horrible because they know they have you in a contract and they will treat you badly because they know most of us aren't going to break contract to switch carriers.

I guess what I am saying is that, IMO, Sprint is the lesser of the evils.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:09 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybonz View Post
I worked as a manager in a customer service call center for about 6 years. From the personal experiences I have had with Sprint, and from things I have read, I can tell you that they are a customer service nightmare.

That being said... the other carriers are worse... Verizon being the absolute a-hole of the customer service universe, wireless and beyond (again from personal experience and my room mates are Verizon reps, and agree with me on this).

Wireless carriers are all horrible because they know they have you in a contract and they will treat you badly because they know most of us aren't going to break contract to switch carriers.

I guess what I am saying is that, IMO, Sprint is the lesser of the evils.
wow, pretty interesting info. and no wonder you were so good with providing support with your rom (yes, i peeked in there every once in a while even though i didn't use it).
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Other Devices > WebOS > WebOS Devices > Palm Pre