PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Other Devices > WebOS > WebOS Devices > Palm Pre
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2009, 12:15 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Samsung Epic 4G
Carrier: Sprint

agentjonnyb is becoming a great contributor
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
To Pre or not to Pre, that is the question...

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the persistant postponing of the Tegra in hopes that in another 6 or so months it may appear in a new Touch Pro, or to take arms against a seemingly impossible fantasy of a device, and switch to something already proven real and available, bearing the name of Palm Pre?

Though I'm pretty certain a Tegra-based Touch Pro 3 is HTC's next big thing, I am not so sure I'm willing to wait much longer, nvidia has been boasting of their awesome chip for over 2 years and it's taken this long just for HTC to put it into one device (Superstar) which still isn't coming till the end of this year, this is all inexcusably long, nvidia should have taken some initiative and brought the prototypes to HTC and other companies personally to gain their support and the devices could have been out well over a year ago.

I dunno guys, what do you think? Are we looking at another full year before we see a Tegra-based Touch Pro, or is it indeed possible that it may come within another 6 months or so, give or take based on the TP2's rather record early release in relation to its predecessor?
Old 06-11-2009, 12:19 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

Donatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to Donatom3 Send a message via MSN to Donatom3 Send a message via Yahoo to Donatom3
Re: To Pre or not to Pre, that is the question...

I won't be doing Touch Pro 3 because of Windows Mobile. If it was on a Palm device I may end up upgrading my Palm Pre, but only after the full 22 months this time. The Palm pre runs smooth and fast. My first Tegra experience will most likely be a Zune HD.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:23 PM
MikeElGiga23

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

Im gonna get the Pre till WM7 is released cuz its like a year away and im not keeping 6.5 knowing theres something like WebOS to hold me over till then (maybe even convert fully)
Old 06-11-2009, 12:26 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Yeah, the Pre is definitely winning me over WM6.5 right now, I'm sure WM7 will be better (especially on a Tegra based device) than the Pre, but if I could get at least a year on the Pre before the release of such a device, I think I'm gonna do it. I got to play with the Pre yesterday, it is soooooooooooo tempting, the first thing ever to tempt me away from WM at all!
Old 06-11-2009, 12:33 PM
VIP Member
Pocket PC: P100EWW

ScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuffScrapMaker knows their stuff

WM 6.5 is garbage compare to WebOS... even with the Pre's current limitations, they are being fixed/upgraded/etc at a rapid pace. Developement is ramping up quickly, and the device is much more reliable than WM has ever provided for me. I initially miss the customization that I had on my Touch/Touch Pro, but that is going to soon be taken care of by customizations. I like that Palm even gave us a utility to fix our Pre if we brick it

My plan was for WebOS to hold me over until WM7, because when Microsoft wants to, they can innovate beyond the wildest dreams of their competitors. If WM7 flops, I'll stick with WebOS. As it stands, it will take a lot for Microsoft to pull me back in--especially when it's starting to matter less-and-less what OS you run, since they all have similar capabilities, (referring to Exchange, browsing, etc.)

I'm lovin' it.

/McDonald's sucks.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:46 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

Donatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to Donatom3 Send a message via MSN to Donatom3 Send a message via Yahoo to Donatom3

I definitely hope the competition of the Pre and iPhone give the Windows Mobile team a kick in the rear. Microsoft definitely an come out with some of the most innovative products. Some reason they've been lagging on Windows Mobile. WebOS is a great operating system, and has definitely converted me for now.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:17 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: HTC hero

jjday7 is keeping up the good workjjday7 is keeping up the good work

just came from the sprint store and got a chance to play with the pre and I have to say it is winning me over. I really think it's looking like a great phone. I think the smoth UI is winning me over and it seems to do everything without a lot of lag. I am really thinking about leaving SERO and going to SEP to get it, but i think the extra I will pay a year will cost more then the phone in the long term. Just don't know what to do
Old 06-11-2009, 04:57 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Nexus One
Carrier: T-Mobile

Fresh2Death is a n00b
Send a message via MSN to Fresh2Death Send a message via Yahoo to Fresh2Death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donatom3 View Post
I definitely hope the competition of the Pre and iPhone give the Windows Mobile team a kick in the rear. Microsoft definitely an come out with some of the most innovative products. Some reason they've been lagging on Windows Mobile. WebOS is a great operating system, and has definitely converted me for now.
i agree. i got tired of the slow downs, the crashes, the random restarts, freezes & hangs and got tired of being worried with the whole "a soft reset a day to keep the bugs away" theme. now i jus pick up my phone and go to exactly what i want to do without a problem at all. all those bad reason was why i thought that my windows mobile phone was never a phone to show off. it was just too unstable.
previous owned phones - Apache 6700, HTC Diamond, HTC Touch Pro, HTC Touch Pro 2, Palm Pre, Nexus One - current phone in use : Nexus One
Old 06-11-2009, 05:36 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

ghostyroasty is keeping up the good workghostyroasty is keeping up the good work

Geez, you could have at least made an original topic title I already posted that! lol
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=70750

PSN: ghostyroasty
Xbox Live: ghostyroasty
Old 06-11-2009, 06:00 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Threadstarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostyroasty View Post
Geez, you could have at least made an original topic title I already posted that! lol
http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=70750
OMG dude, I totally missed that! My bad, lol! But hey, I did take it a step further, hehe. Perhaps I should make a video spoof called "To Pre or not to Pre" and incorporate parts of the whole monologue, lol!
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Other Devices > WebOS > WebOS Devices > Palm Pre