PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Other Devices > WebOS > WebOS Devices > Palm Pre
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2009, 09:54 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro
Carrier: Sprint

ghostyroasty is keeping up the good workghostyroasty is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Tethering updates... post here

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...rk-around.html

PSN: ghostyroasty
Xbox Live: ghostyroasty
This post has been thanked 1 times.
Old 06-12-2009, 11:52 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Palm Pre

Zyphlin is keeping up the good workZyphlin is keeping up the good work

Yeah, within the first week the WebOS hackers over at precentral are already getting close to some potential work arounds. I don't doubt within at most 3 months we'll have some form of a solution
Old 06-12-2009, 12:55 PM
Lurker
Pocket PC: Palm Pre
Threadstarter

MrNolan is just getting started

omg wow that is great. I only hope that spint can't tell the diff between this and just regular browsing from the phone.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:19 AM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

ivan1.ruiz is halfway to VIP status based on repivan1.ruiz is halfway to VIP status based on repivan1.ruiz is halfway to VIP status based on repivan1.ruiz is halfway to VIP status based on repivan1.ruiz is halfway to VIP status based on repivan1.ruiz is halfway to VIP status based on repivan1.ruiz is halfway to VIP status based on repivan1.ruiz is halfway to VIP status based on repivan1.ruiz is halfway to VIP status based on repivan1.ruiz is halfway to VIP status based on repivan1.ruiz is halfway to VIP status based on rep

I have a mac and I used PAN with bluetooth and it worked fine.

If I've helped you please remember to
click "THANKS" or click the button. Thanks!
Old 06-14-2009, 10:51 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: sprint mogul

marisdaman is a n00b

i need internet sharing.. i bought the pre for my wife but for me to get it i need that option.. cause although the browser is good on the pre sometimes you jus don't want to scroll and zoom in and out. I like having the option to hook my phone up to my laptop and download files while on the go..Someone create this app fast!
Old 06-15-2009, 12:15 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: Diamond

Negrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Looks like tethering may take a little longer...
http://www.engadget.com/2009/06/15/palm-webos-system-upgrades-mandatory-hacking-scene-forbidden-fr/

Not even Apple/AT&T are this bad...
Quote:
Even worse for hackers, Palm's taking an unusually aggressive approach to webOS system updates -- they're mandatory. According to the support docs, webOS updates are automatically downloaded in the background within two days of being available, and they're required to be installed within a week of the download -- after seven days and four install prompts, the phone will give you a ten-minute countdown and then automatically begin installing the update.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:31 PM
PPCGeeks Regular

jfol01 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via MSN to jfol01 Send a message via Yahoo to jfol01

Looks like someone figured out a way to tether.

http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...-around-2.html

Prerequisites:
A rooted Pre, with ssh installed
An SSH client for your computer (Linux: ssh, Windows: PuTTY)
Linux users only: Root access, the bnep kernel module and the following commands: pand, rfcomm, hciconfig, hcitool, ifconfig

Walk-though:
Open bluetooth preferences on your Pre. Turn on bluetooth and wait until it says your phone is discoverable
On Windows:
Pair with your Pre (right click the bluetooth tray icon and select add device).
Right-clicking the bluetooth tray icon and selecting join a bluetooth PAN will bring up a dialog to join a network.
Select your pre and connect.
On Linux:
Start bluetooth, run '/etc/init.d/bluetooth restart'
Run 'hciconfig' to get the name of your BT adapter. Its probably called hci0 but if not, replace hci0 with this name from now on.
Run 'hciconfig hci0 up'
Run 'hcitool scan' to look for devices. Select your device and copy the address (something like XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX)
This step shouldn't be necessary, but it was for me: Run 'rfcomm connect hci0 XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX 1'. If you were successful, there should be a phone icon next to your computer's name on your Pre.
Open another terminal. Run 'pand -n -c XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX', there should now be a globe icon on your Pre. It should say something like bnep0 connected, remember this name, use it in place of bnep0 in commands from now on
Run 'ifconfig bnep0 10.1.1.11 up'. Test the connection by running 'ping -c 4 10.1.1.10' If you dont see errors you're connected.
SSH Users: Run 'ssh -D 8080 -p 222 preuser@10.1.1.10', where preuser is your user name on your phone.
PuTTY Users: Enter 10.1.1.10 in the host name blank, and 222 in port. Go to Connection > SSH > Tunnels, enter 8080 in source port and select 'Dynamic' below. Click add. Click open, and login to your Pre.
Here you have two options to configure network access:
Per Application: Configure whatever application you use to use the SOCKS proxy at localhost:8080. For example to configure firefox, go to Options > Advanced > Network > Connection Settings, select Manual proxy, and enter localhost and 8080 in SOCKS Host and Port
Generic: Look at tsocks (for linux) and FreeCap (for windows). I haven't used them, but they should allow any application to use the proxy

I'm pretty sure that credit for this goes to fish199902 at precentral.net

In case anyone else wants to do this here are the links to instructions on how to root the pre and install SSH on the pre:

How to root the pre: http://predev.wikidot.com/rooting

How to install SSH: http://predev.wikidot.com/adding-the-ipkg-repository

This probably seems like a lot of work, but at least it shows that a method has been found. I'm sure it's only a short matter of time before someone develops an app that will do this automatically.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:32 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

Donatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to Donatom3 Send a message via MSN to Donatom3 Send a message via Yahoo to Donatom3

Everyone better copy and save this before it gets taken down. Palm is cracking down on this since they don't want to violate their contract with Sprint.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:57 PM
Banned User
Pocket PC: Diamond

Negrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on repNegrito is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Someone blogged how to do it, w/pics...
http://www.isyougeekedup.com/palm-pr...ble-tethering/
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Old 06-15-2009, 03:59 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: Evo 4G & Palm Pre & Touch Pro 2

Scottcrsi is keeping up the good workScottcrsi is keeping up the good work

Ha...just after palm's warning this is posted Engadget: pre data tethering is a go!

Touch Diamond
Juicy 3.7 Rom (Thanks Juicy!)

Touch Pro
Stock Sprint Rom
This post has been thanked 2 times.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Other Devices > WebOS > WebOS Devices > Palm Pre