PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Palm Pre (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Pre Overheating Issues? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=71297)

5dadd7 06-10-2009 04:05 PM

Pre Overheating Issues?

Question for the forum. Does the Pre stop charging if overheating?

cjmedina 06-10-2009 09:12 PM

Re: Pre Overheating Issues?

no it doesn't

Drybonz 06-14-2009 09:39 AM

On this subject... I ran my GPS and bluetooth with my phone on the car charger yesterday while on a road trip.

I have had no overheating issues until now, but after some time running this way the phone got blazing hot and has not been right since.

Taking it back to the Sprint store today for a replacement.

ScrapMaker 06-14-2009 03:06 PM

I drove 4 hours with mine on the touchstone and used telenav... No problems, charged from 10% to 100 just about as quick as normal, too.

Drybonz 06-14-2009 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapMaker (Post 974586)
I drove 4 hours with mine on the touchstone and used telenav... No problems, charged from 10% to 100 just about as quick as normal, too.

Apparently not all units have the overheating issue and it is a sign of a defective unit.

Sprint store advised me today that there were 3 types of defective units that they had seen so far. Overheated, bad mic and something else I can't remember. :)

Drybonz 06-15-2009 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drybonz (Post 974185)
On this subject... I ran my GPS and bluetooth with my phone on the car charger yesterday while on a road trip.

I have had no overheating issues until now, but after some time running this way the phone got blazing hot and has not been right since.

Taking it back to the Sprint store today for a replacement.

Got a replacement from Sprint today although they made me pay a $35 restocking fee because they "couldn't find anything wrong with it".

The rep that was helping me was really nice. We talked about the custom rom he was running on his TP while I waited. The manager was far less cool, but they eventually, mostly took care of it.

ScrapMaker 06-16-2009 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drybonz (Post 977504)
Got a replacement from Sprint today although they made me pay a $35 restocking fee because they "couldn't find anything wrong with it".

The rep that was helping me was really nice. We talked about the custom rom he was running on his TP while I waited. The manager was far less cool, but they eventually, mostly took care of it.

So your phone was overheating, and you couldn't reproduce it for them?

Drybonz 06-16-2009 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapMaker (Post 978029)
So your phone was overheating, and you couldn't reproduce it for them?

Read above... it overheated really bad on the trip down and then was not the same after that. Was not responsive and the screen transitions were choppy.

ScrapMaker 06-16-2009 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drybonz (Post 978126)
Read above... it overheated really bad on the trip down and then was not the same after that. Was not responsive and the screen transitions were choppy.

I just don't see how Sprint charged you a fee...

Drybonz 06-16-2009 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScrapMaker (Post 979278)
I just don't see how Sprint charged you a fee...

If they conclude that there is "nothing wrong" with the phone, you have to pay a restocking fee to exchange... even within your 30 days.

Basically, what it boiled down to is that they had limited number of Pre's... which they wanted to sell as opposed to letting one go as a replacement.