PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Other Devices > WebOS > WebOS Devices > Palm Pre

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2009, 06:28 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Palm Prē
Carrier: Sprint

fr4nk1yn is keeping up the good workfr4nk1yn is keeping up the good workfr4nk1yn is keeping up the good work
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: My limited review of the Palm Pre

I got one, feel like a sell out, I'll miss going to a number of websites I've become used to and haven't found GREAT Pre forums like this yet.

The sharp edge was one of the first things I noticed.
The keyboard backlighting would make those first Touch Pro guys feel lucky.
Not only is the left much brighter there's line through the keys.
I'm going to take mine to the Sprint store and ask about both just to see, I don't expect them to do anything.

The UI really is phenomenal. The today screen is a little bare IMO, I'm having a hard time finding a wallpaper that really shines.
Notifications, I can go on & on about the UI but I won't.
It slows down sometimes and I had to reset earlier for an odd reason because of it.

The UI is nothing without some substance though.
People know I got a new phone from the call quality.
This thing connects to my T505 instantly as soon as it's in range, and the T505 is on of course.
Pandora streamed through bluetooth to the FM transmitter is now a joy.
What impressed me the most was when SprintNav started, which is a quite different version than what was on the Touch Pro, it did NOT shut off Pandora and the two got along like old chums.
SprintNav attenuated Pandora, gave the directions then Pandora came back, the way it should be.

Youtube is better quality, video is better quality.

There's some quirks of course, copy and paste take some getting used to, There's NO way to edit text documents(!), but this is the way a phone should be.
I'm really thrilled. jeez,, sounding like one of those iPhone guys babbling. Sorry.

Oh yeah, Wi-Fi is faster than the Touch Pro(!?). 5Mbs compared to 7.5Mbs consistently.
Radio: Sprint 1.11.00F

Last edited by fr4nk1yn; 06-07-2009 at 06:31 PM.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:36 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Palm Pre

Zyphlin is keeping up the good workZyphlin is keeping up the good work

The first thing people need to remember is this is most assuredly a Generation 1 OS.

WebOS is in its infancy and needs some time. WinMo has the benefit of having a decade worth of building upon the OS to get it up and working. The iPhone's version of OSX has had 2+ now. The closest I can compare it to honestly would be Android and it looks FAR more polished than Android.

There are a number of annoyances with the Pre. However, the VAST majority for me are all software related or focused which means it can be fixed as time goes on.

The sharp edge on the bottom...I noticed it, but it doesn't bug me much, and its hardly razor sharp like the idiots at gizmodo were trying to say. I have big thumbs but I LOVE the keyboard and it is sooo much nicer than using the on screen one for my touch diamond. Additionally, being able to type a text message and still have the entire screen free is great.

Its by far the nicest looking UI I've used. It makes the multitasking of Windows Mobile look like a model T compared to a new mustang. The cards work great.
Old 06-08-2009, 01:20 PM
Coz-erator
Pocket PC: Sprint Galaxy Note 2 & other misc digital devices

CozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to CozBoogie Send a message via Yahoo to CozBoogie

Any thoughts/comments on battery life yet?

late,
Coz
Old 06-08-2009, 03:37 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch

JBundy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJBundy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJBundy is becoming a PPCGeeks regularJBundy is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozboogie View Post
Any thoughts/comments on battery life yet?

late,
Coz
I tested the phone for an hour today at a Sprint store. It ran hot the entire time I used it using non-Web based apps. I say keep it plugged in for now if you are stationary for an extended period of time. The battery drains quickly. They should've put a 1500 mAh battery in it (if it'd fit). They missed the bus to Battery/Power Management 101. Palm needs to make constant improvements to this in webOS™ updates beyond v1.0.2.
Old 06-08-2009, 03:53 PM
Coz-erator
Pocket PC: Sprint Galaxy Note 2 & other misc digital devices

CozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation levelCozBoogie can't get a higher reputation level
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to CozBoogie Send a message via Yahoo to CozBoogie

What's the build quality like? Cheap feel?

late,
Coz
Old 06-08-2009, 04:17 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Diamond, Palm Pre

alan7467 is keeping up the good workalan7467 is keeping up the good work

I tried a Pre out on Saturday for about 15-20 minutes.

Overall I liked the OS and the phone a lot. After hearing a lot of reviews rag on how cheap it felt I came away pleasantly surprised. Maybe it's the rubbery back cover sprint threw on, but I thought the device felt pretty solid.

Couple things I didn't like though:

1. When you launch an App there's no indication that the App is actually launching. Considering the fact that most Apps seem to take a bit to load this was a bit frustrating.

2. Sorry, but I think the keyboard is terrible on this phone. Total deal breaker for me if I was in the market for one. Keys were way to rubbery and tacky, and something about the shape of the edges of the phone made it that much harder to hit the keys. I'm sure this is something one could get used to in time, but I couldn't help but feel like it was a big downgrade from my current setup on my Diamond (fingerkeyboard 2.0 with vibration feedback and fixed layout for landscape mode).

I'm still excited about this platform and look forward to seeing how things play out for it.
TouchPal Keyboard

Pre running... errr 1.1...
Old 06-08-2009, 06:16 PM
N00b
Pocket PC: palm pre
Carrier: sprint

cell128 is a n00b

it is sharp but that doesn't bother me . I open with my thumbs on the guesture area.
And if you get lost in the jungle, it becomes a survival blade!!
Old 06-08-2009, 11:04 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Sprint Touch Diamond, Palm Pre

alan7467 is keeping up the good workalan7467 is keeping up the good work

Quote:
Originally Posted by cell128 View Post
it is sharp but that doesn't bother me . I open with my thumbs on the guesture area.
And if you get lost in the jungle, it becomes a survival blade!!
Well when you put it that way, I'll take two!
Old 06-09-2009, 11:54 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Palm Treo Pro, Palm Pre
Threadstarter

K & M Computers is just getting started
Send a message via AIM to K & M Computers

With as many issue's as I've read about online, I am surprised i have not yet received a single call about the pre in the last 2 days. There have been a few issues popping up here and there, but as it has been said already, this is a 1st gen OS. It will take a little work to get the bumps smoothed out. I am still very impressed with the phone overall.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:46 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: HTC EVO 4G

Donatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularDonatom3 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Send a message via AIM to Donatom3 Send a message via MSN to Donatom3 Send a message via Yahoo to Donatom3

Overall I think it's great. Battery life has improved over the past few days for me. Partly to battery conditioning and the other to me using it normally now. That being said my phone gets nowhere near as hot as it did before. Make sure to update to 1.0.2 when you get it.

The sharp edge doesn't bother me as much now. That being said it's only sharp when you're sliding your finger from the outer edge in. From the inner edge out it's smooth.
Closed Thread

PPCGeeks > Other Devices > WebOS > WebOS Devices > Palm Pre