PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Palm Pre (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Tired of palm pro... hows the PRE? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=130870)

motocrossyz85 08-05-2010 04:30 PM

Tired of palm pro... hows the PRE?

Hey so I had a touch pro that got stolen outta my house and so I got the palm pro for free... to put it lightly... I HATE THIS PHONE! so... without getting into details about why I was just wondering how you guys like your palm PRE's? I wanted the evo.. that was untill I found out I couldint get it on my employee plan... damn I hate that! Thanks!

wudstock54 08-05-2010 07:18 PM

Re: Tired of palm pro... hows the PRE?

The Pre is the best phone I've ever owned hands down. I have tweaked it and added the patches I wanted. My Evo is sitting in the box while the pre rox.

Carla 08-06-2010 01:30 AM

I liked my Pre quite a bit, but the build quality and the fact I drop my phone at least every other day didn't work out well for me.

wudstock54 08-06-2010 08:26 AM

Carla I will admit the first Pre (early build) I had was less than desired as far as the build but the replacement has been solid.

fixxxer2012 08-08-2010 09:51 PM

hp/palm need to release another phone soon. the pre fanbase is pretty much dead.

spiritcrusher33 08-09-2010 05:17 PM

lol i loved the pre.. but like most. the build quality sucked... went to the hero. and never looked back til last week,lol my wifes bb tour started going out.. so me being the nice guy i am.. I said here honey take my hero... and just activated my old tp2..cause dec 1st I get my upgrade.. wife is happy. and now cant say no cause i gave her my hero,lol

sanmanc 08-15-2010 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fixxxer2008 (Post 1904036)
hp/palm need to release another phone soon. the pre fanbase is pretty much dead.

The lack of even the rumor of a new WebOS device drove me to my first Andriod phone and I upgraded to an Evo. Haven't looked back yet. With that being said, although the Pre was did not have the best hardware quality, I felt that WebOS was the best mobile OS around. Maybe HPalm will come up come next year and I might be back on WebOS. For now I'm really enjoying android.

Carla 08-15-2010 08:57 PM

I am with sanmanc, I loved WebOS, but the quality of the two phones I had was sub-par. Others may have received stronger builds I guess, but I didn't for either of mine.

thomlanphear 08-16-2010 08:38 AM

I have been using my Pre since it came out. So far it is by far the best phone I have used for ease but there are some bad points:

Quality of the phone, it seems cheap and cracks and breaks fairly easy. So far I have cracks on the back and front as well as the little thing that covers the usb connection has fallen off even thought I use the touchstone.

Type of apps are very limited. It seems like there are nothing but hot babe pictures and soundboards, and just useless things. I want a phone that can let me do my work stuff as well as have some fun. I guess if I wanted to spend all day looking at girls I'll never have or listening to Stewie go Mom Mom Mom, Mommy it is great.

Last but not least I agree with the post above it seems as though the Pre craze is slowly dying. Not much activity as far as something new. The Pre has been out for over a year by now you would think there would be a lot of buzz about the next great Pre thing but a few rumors here ant there doean't show much promise.

Again I love the phone it's ease of use and syncing with Google is a great feature but the fact I can't easily sync with my computer kinda of bothers me.

Just my opinion

CozBoogie 08-18-2010 12:21 PM

I'm gonna chime in as well....

Pros:
1. WebOS is rock solid. Rarely have to soft reset the phone and the swipe/gesture aspect of navigating around the OS is pure genius.
2. Hard keyboard.
3. Screen brightness and clarity are both wonderful. Very readable outside.
4. Touchstone....enough said.
5. True hardware mute switch. I love being able to kill all sounds with one flick of the switch.
6. Email and messaging integration. The Pre handles all types of email accounts. I also love having all types of messaging (IM, SMS, Chat, etc.) all consolidated under one thread for that specific person. I can be IM'ing my wife via Windows Messenger and then seamlessly start SMS'ing her.
7. Patches and the WebOS community. Amazing stuff coming out of that community. Don't look at patching as a con either...given the ease and openness of WebOS you can tweak your phone to your liking with very little effort. Who new I'd want a patch that automatically turns on my GPS when I open Google Maps and then turns off GPS when I close Google Maps?
8. HP buying Palm. Opens the door to WebOS finding its way onto more devices, systems, etc.
9. Synergy. Love having all of my contacts, etc. seamlessly sync, etc.

Cons:
1. WebOS. While it's rock solid and Palm has been good about updates....it seems to have stalled.
2. Hardware. While the Pre was a solid effort we need a new handset from HP/Palm. Would love to see WebOS on the EVO.
3. Hard keyboard. It's cramped and hard to use.
4. HP buying Palm. Unsure how HP will deploy WebOS or if they will continue to support mobile phones.
5. App Catalog. While stuff is always being developed...it's pretty limited in scope.

That's just a few things off the top of my head.

late,
Coz