PPCGeeks Forums HTC Arrive HTC HD2 HTC Thunderbolt HTC Touch Pro 2 HTC Evo 4G HTC Evo 3D Samsung Galaxy S II Motorola Droid X Apple iPhone Blackberry
Go Back   PPCGeeks > Other Devices > WebOS > WebOS Devices > Palm Pre
Register Community Search

Notices

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2010, 12:57 PM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Palm Pre, HTC Evo, BB9670, Samsung Epic
Carrier: Sprint

wudstock54 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwudstock54 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwudstock54 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwudstock54 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Re: Tired of palm pro... hows the PRE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CozBoogie View Post
I'm gonna chime in as well....

Pros:
1. WebOS is rock solid. Rarely have to soft reset the phone and the swipe/gesture aspect of navigating around the OS is pure genius.
2. Hard keyboard.
3. Screen brightness and clarity are both wonderful. Very readable outside.
4. Touchstone....enough said.
5. True hardware mute switch. I love being able to kill all sounds with one flick of the switch.
6. Email and messaging integration. The Pre handles all types of email accounts. I also love having all types of messaging (IM, SMS, Chat, etc.) all consolidated under one thread for that specific person. I can be IM'ing my wife via Windows Messenger and then seamlessly start SMS'ing her.
7. Patches and the WebOS community. Amazing stuff coming out of that community. Don't look at patching as a con either...given the ease and openness of WebOS you can tweak your phone to your liking with very little effort. Who new I'd want a patch that automatically turns on my GPS when I open Google Maps and then turns off GPS when I close Google Maps?
8. HP buying Palm. Opens the door to WebOS finding its way onto more devices, systems, etc.
9. Synergy. Love having all of my contacts, etc. seamlessly sync, etc.

Cons:
1. WebOS. While it's rock solid and Palm has been good about updates....it seems to have stalled.
2. Hardware. While the Pre was a solid effort we need a new handset from HP/Palm. Would love to see WebOS on the EVO.
3. Hard keyboard. It's cramped and hard to use.
4. HP buying Palm. Unsure how HP will deploy WebOS or if they will continue to support mobile phones.
5. App Catalog. While stuff is always being developed...it's pretty limited in scope.

That's just a few things off the top of my head.

late,
Coz
Ditto!
Old 09-10-2010, 04:07 AM
Lurker
Pocket PC: PalmPre Plus, HTC Vogue, Samsung i760, iPaq 2415
Carrier: Verizon

HIYinOR is a n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by wudstock54 View Post
Ditto!
I second the ditto. WebOS is just incredible. More apps might be nice, but I have found all I need so far, and think I could never finish searching the 10,000 or 100,000 Android/iPhone variations of the most useful apps... would I even remember which I liked best before a 100 more popped up?
Old 09-12-2010, 09:37 PM
#1 troll!
Pocket PC: Moto G5 Plus
Carrier: AT&T aka deathstar

fixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on repfixxxer2012 is halfway to VIP status based on rep
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)

id wait until 2011 to see if another palm pre or webos2 will be available. if the specs are good enough i may come back from android as well.

Old 09-12-2010, 11:12 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

sah0724 is a n00b
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (webOS/1.4.5; U; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/1.0 Safari/532.2 Pre/1.0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wudstock54
The Pre is the best phone I've ever owned hands down. I have tweaked it and added the patches I wanted. My Evo is sitting in the box while the pre rox.
wtf are you serious?
Old 09-12-2010, 11:18 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Touch Pro

sah0724 is a n00b
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (webOS/1.4.5; U; en-US) AppleWebKit/532.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/1.0 Safari/532.2 Pre/1.0)

webos is very slow, hardware is behind the curve and the device has many hardware issues.

webos is pretty but it needs alot of work. Windows phone 7 is around the corner, I don't think webos will last.
Old 09-13-2010, 06:24 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: Palm Pre, HTC Evo, BB9670, Samsung Epic

wudstock54 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwudstock54 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwudstock54 is becoming a PPCGeeks regularwudstock54 is becoming a PPCGeeks regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sah0724 View Post

webos is very slow, hardware is behind the curve and the device has many hardware issues.

webos is pretty but it needs alot of work. Windows phone 7 is around the corner, I don't think webos will last.
That hasn't been the case for me I'm happy to report. Sorry you've had a bad experience with WebOS and the hardware. My original Pre has some build issues but the replacement has been sturdy for over a year. I'm running one of the overclocked kernels at a little over 1gig so speed isn't an issue either for me.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:55 PM
Almost a VIP
Pocket PC: Samsung Galaxy Note 2
Carrier: The Now Network

mulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on repmulhiny is halfway to VIP status based on rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sah0724 View Post

I still have love for Windows, but it would be my guess that WP7 will flop. While some WinMo die hards will use it, I doubt the main stream will give a shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wudstock54 View Post
That hasn't been the case for me I'm happy to report. Sorry you've had a bad experience with WebOS and the hardware. My original Pre has some build issues but the replacement has been sturdy for over a year. I'm running one of the overclocked kernels at a little over 1gig so speed isn't an issue either for me.
I also have my Pre OC'd, but I mostly run it at 800mhz. It's super fast and smooth.

"I am Mulhiny and I am a flasher"..wmdunn
"I am Mulhiny and I'm a phone junkie"..Riley
Old 09-14-2010, 12:33 PM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: HTC Evo 4g

Biggnaa20 is becoming a great contributor
Send a message via AIM to Biggnaa20 Send a message via Skype™ to Biggnaa20

I Love my Pre.

It is getting harder to defend it as there are sooooooo many new shiny Androids coming out, but I really don't see myself switching any time soon.

That said: If you don't want to patch/overclock/homebrew, I'd stay away from the phone. With my 30+ patched and running at an overclocked 1ghz, my Pre is awesome. Check out Preware and webOS internals over at Precentral.net. It really is easy.

Since you can pick one up really cheap now, I'd get it...but I'd save my upgrade until new hardware comes out.

Nb

One caveat that NEEDS mentioning: Pre Battery life sucks. There are enough ways to help you last longer, but I find myself wondering what I am going to do if I am away from the outlet for more than 8 hours.

Last edited by Biggnaa20; 09-14-2010 at 02:02 PM. Reason: One more thing...
Old 09-17-2010, 09:07 AM
PPCGeeks Regular
Pocket PC: Evo 4G

The Sapient is keeping up the good workThe Sapient is keeping up the good work

With the Pre being $50 with Sprint now, I picked one up for my son, who had been using my old Mogul. While I haven't had much opportunity to play with it, I have to say that the OS is, at first glance, far better than any other I have used. It is so intuitive, glossy, and smooth.
Old 09-17-2010, 09:11 AM
Regular 'Geeker
Pocket PC: EVO 3D-Flashaholic
Carrier: Sprint F&F an SERO..Oscuras

ddark4eva is keeping up the good workddark4eva is keeping up the good work
Send a message via AIM to ddark4eva
Wen I had the pre I loved it, my TP1 broke so they gave me one for free as a replacement. If I didn't have the Evo that's probably Wut I would have

Sent from Canadian Jigsaw's barn cuz he got all the Rush records.

PPCGeeks > Other Devices > WebOS > WebOS Devices > Palm Pre