PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Palm Pre (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   4G on the Pre.... How? why? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=121349)

boredandtattooed 05-16-2010 01:14 PM

4G on the Pre.... How? why?

let me preface this by saying my brother in law is not a techy guy at all... no cutomizing or anything...just does whats offically available and thats it...

so my bro in law was here few minutes ago..i asked him how the last few updates were working out for him and mentioned i pre-ordered a new phone..

he asks me which phone...i say 4G EVO..

he says, i dont get it.. 4G isnt everywhere is it?

i say nope,its only in 11 states...

he says well i was near Terre Haute,In the other day and noticed my icon turned to a 4G icon....

hmmmmm...

Pre's arent suppose to be 4G,otherwise the EVO wouldnt be the first phone in the US running it...

so how, why, did he get a 4G icon in his taskbar...

hes a truck driver so travels a ton... im gonna try to get him to take a screenshot for the next time so i can post the pic, but i dunno where he's traveling next, so i mean it could e a minute before a screenshot...

anyone have any idea How this happened??

i dont even know where a PRE wouldve even got a 4G icon from to begin with

sanmanc 05-16-2010 01:46 PM

Re: 4G on the Pre.... How? why?

Probably has a theme that changed the icon. There are several themes available that have 3g and 4g available.

boredandtattooed 05-16-2010 01:51 PM

ill ask him about that.. but i doubt it... im tellin ya hes a tool... he doesnt do anything different than stock stuff.. he wouldnt.. ive offered tohook him up with hacks,etc and hes not interested in stuff like that.. i cant see him downloading a theme from anywhere though

ive never had a palm device,but on winmo, changing a theme doesnt do anything to your task bar... the taskbar is controlled by like 10 different files altogether.. almost every icon has its own file that has to be specially modded...

is that not the case in webOS??

Carla 05-16-2010 11:43 PM

The taskbars are easy to modify if you are making a theme, you just have to have the icons you want, and they obviously have to be the correct size and format. I did different taskbar icons for one of my themes when I had my Pre, wasn't hard. If he did install a theme, that is entirely possible. Find out if he did the theme install.

shawnageek 05-17-2010 12:18 AM

i read some where on a fourm that the palm pre from sprint could get the 4g and

CozBoogie 05-17-2010 01:39 PM

My guess would be for a theme or a patch as found here:

4G

But you never know...maybe he really did get 4G coverage on a Pre.

late,
Coz

omnicronx 05-17-2010 01:47 PM

Simply put, it does not have a 4g radio, on any version regardless of carrier/location you being bought from.

So either he has a 4g skin, or he was mistaken about what he saw as the stock Pre does not even have 4g icons loaded on the phone in the first place.

info[]box1 05-17-2010 10:59 PM

For any device to comm with 4g, it must have a wimax chip embedded inside.

ivan1.ruiz 06-10-2010 06:19 PM

palm pre no 4G :(sad sad sad but true