PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Palm Pre (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Looks Like HTC is Out (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=119015)

sanmanc 04-23-2010 09:11 PM

Looks Like HTC is Out

Did anyone read the article in Reuters? Looks like HTC is passing on the Palm acquisition and Lenovo has become the leading prospect. If Lenovo acquires it does anyone think the price of the WebOS devices will be inflated like the cost of their computer?

Article can be found here.

jskee35 04-26-2010 12:22 AM

Re: Looks Like HTC is Out

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanmanc (Post 1716089)
Did anyone read the article in Reuters? Looks like HTC is passing on the Palm acquisition and Lenovo has become the leading prospect. If Lenovo acquires it does anyone think the price of the WebOS devices will be inflated like the cost of their computer?

Article can be found here.

doubt it, especially if they want to be competitive with the iPhone, HTC, and Android

sipple31 04-26-2010 10:05 AM

I hope someone buys Palm! I love my PPP...

CozBoogie 04-26-2010 12:17 PM

Someone needs to buy Palm and put WebOS on a tablet.

late,
Coz

orangekid 04-26-2010 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CozBoogie (Post 1719966)

late,
Coz

yeah so they can over charge for the very limited apps to run on it :o

ducylowycz 04-27-2010 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangekid (Post 1720637)
yeah so they can over charge for the very limited apps to run on it :o

Kind of like the iPad huh? Or maybe the iPhone? (if you haven't noticed)

There are apps coming into the app store for the iPhone that are costing just as much as some of the iPad apps. I like the apps being created but I also think that the iPad opened up pandoras box for greedy developers.

No matter the cost people are always going to buy them.

But tell me, does that justify charging 10x the price for the same app that is on the iPhone? Maybe if we were allowed to do more...

sanmanc 04-27-2010 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CozBoogie (Post 1719966)

The only problem I see now with WebOS being on a tablet is that it doesn't look like there will be no DocToGo for WebOS. If someone esle could develop something similar it definetly would be great.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducylowycz (Post 1721766)
But tell me, does that justify charging 10x the price for the same app that is on the iPhone? Maybe if we were allowed to do more...

Of course it does. The iPad is like 10x bigger isn't it. lol

omnicronx 04-29-2010 01:49 AM

Quote:

Yes.. higher resolution justifies the higher price.. Thats pretty much the only difference. The iPad cpu is basically just a higher clocked Cortex A8, it does not blow the iPhone 3GS out of the water in terms of processing power, and actually has the exact same GPU. So its not like the apps are that much more complex due to a faster system..

Apple has a very smart marketing, they know what they can charge and still get people to buy it, apparently they did their research and people are willing to pay more for iPad apps.

ducylowycz 04-29-2010 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by omnicronx (Post 1725515)
Yes.. higher resolution justifies the higher price.. Thats pretty much the only difference. The iPad cpu is basically just a higher clocked Cortex A8, it does not blow the iPhone 3GS out of the water in terms of processing power, and actually has the exact same GPU. So its not like the apps are that much more complex due to a faster system..

Apple has a very smart marketing, they know what they can charge and still get people to buy it, apparently they did their research and people are willing to pay more for iPad apps.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanmanc (Post 1723237)
The only problem I see now with WebOS being on a tablet is that it doesn't look like there will be no DocToGo for WebOS. If someone esle could develop something similar it definetly would be great.

Really the iPad is like 4x bigger...I wonder if computer manufacturers should do the same thing?

MS Office = 199.00 for a 10" net book BUT 699.99 for a 17" PC. It is essentially the same principle isn't it?:angry7:

NinjaMom 05-03-2010 02:15 PM

Who thinks that Dataviz gets back on board for Palm Pre now that HP is involved?