PPCGeeks

PPCGeeks (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/index.php)
-   Palm Pre (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=84)
-   -   Pre causes PC to crash??? (http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=101896)

z28marols1 12-15-2009 09:04 PM

Pre causes PC to crash???

So... heres something thats baffling me. Every time I plug my Pre into my PC via USB to transfer files over (using either USB mode or media sync mode) both my Pre and my PC start to lock up. My other USB peripherals on my PC start randomly working and not working (mouse and keyboard included). The only way I can get anything back is to unplug the USB cable and restart the PC and the Pre. Any clues as to what I'm doing wrong or what a possible remedy is would be greatly appreciated. Running latest version of WebOS and Vista Ultimate. I have never had any issues regarding my USB ports before and have tried on multiple ports. TIA!

sanmanc 12-15-2009 11:03 PM

Re: Pre causes PC to crash???

Did it ever work correctly?

I would try some basic troubleshooting first such as try plugging the Pre to another PC. If it doesn't lock up then on the original PC unplug all USB devices, except mouse and keyboard if they are USB, and see if it locks up. If it does then try without the mouse or keyboard. Eliminate hardware before starting on software.

CozBoogie 12-16-2009 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanmanc (Post 1416512)
Did it ever work correctly?

I would try some basic troubleshooting first such as try plugging the Pre to another PC. If it doesn't lock up then on the original PC unplug all USB devices, except mouse and keyboard if they are USB, and see if it locks up. If it does then try without the mouse or keyboard. Eliminate hardware before starting on software.

Sound advice. Also are you using the Palm supplied USB cable?

late,
Coz

rickysimth 12-18-2009 05:20 AM

Hi..
I have to look for it and also try to solve the problem of your so it may help out soon... also looking for the more information regarding the Pre Cause PC to crash..

Carla 12-18-2009 08:10 PM

Funny thing, it isn't causing my laptop to crash, but it is causing it to freeze up really badly. I am using OEM Sync Cord, doesn't happen on either Netbook I have though, haven't tried on the desk top....Just food for thought.

z28marols1 12-19-2009 10:49 AM

Using OEM cable (its the only 4 pin cable i have...). Different USB ports on the PC cause different reactions on the PC. Can plug anything else into the USB ports and it works fine. On one USB port in particular I can get it to work properly. Can replicate issue on my laptop. Its baffling b/c if it was the ports on my pc it should happen with more than one device. If it was the port on the phone the same thing should happen on all usb ports. If it was software, then uninstalling and reinstalling should solve the problem, but it doesnt. This is very frustrating.

sanmanc 12-19-2009 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarlaDarla (Post 1423981)
Funny thing, it isn't causing my laptop to crash, but it is causing it to freeze up really badly. I am using OEM Sync Cord, doesn't happen on either Netbook I have though, haven't tried on the desk top....Just food for thought.

Quote:

Originally Posted by z28marols1 (Post 1425049)
Using OEM cable (its the only 4 pin cable i have...). Different USB ports on the PC cause different reactions on the PC. Can plug anything else into the USB ports and it works fine. On one USB port in particular I can get it to work properly. Can replicate issue on my laptop. Its baffling b/c if it was the ports on my pc it should happen with more than one device. If it was the port on the phone the same thing should happen on all usb ports. If it was software, then uninstalling and reinstalling should solve the problem, but it doesnt. This is very frustrating.

Maybe a bad batch of cables? I don't have this problem with any of my 3 Pres on any of my 3 desktops or laptop. Have to wait to xmas to try on two netbooks. Maybe you should try taking it to Sprint or call tech support and let them know you are having this issue. Maybe you can get another cable to test with.

Carla 12-19-2009 03:02 PM

Well it is only with one of my computers, but I am not that concerned. I don't really sync all that often except to take pictures off.